+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Patch Panel Room * Advice* in Technical; At work we have a room with a Comms cab half full with switches. Also in the room we have ...

Thank Post

Question Patch Panel Room * Advice*

At work we have a room with a Comms cab half full with switches. Also in the room we have a UPS to power a whole office block.

My concern is that during summer and warmer days the room does seem to get extremely hot! so hot you cannot be stood in it with a tie on !

The room was also used for storage, i have emptied the room so all that stands inside now is the equipment (To reduce Temp), were looking at upgrading our Norstar phone system to VOIP too, This will be located in the same room. Main concern is the temperature of the room, what would be the possible options of keeping it at a cool temperature and is there any chance of the equipment getting damaged from heat ?

Our Server room is located in a different room, this has a air con fitted running 24/7 and stays really cool.
    Also is there any preventative maintanance i should carry out on comms cabs ? UPS ?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It depends what temperature it is. Anything over 30C is problematic and anything over 40C is dangerous. If the room is getting in this temperature range ('borrow' the thermal sensor kit science departments always have, or a simple greenhouse thermometer with min/max on it) then you will need to fit air con or reduce the amount of equipment you have in that room.

Thank Post
    I have a few tight storage areas, fitting simple vents in the room (into another room in one case) brought the temperature down to acceptable levels. But yes as @Geoff says get a high low temperature monitor.

Thank Post
    Brilliant stuff, the room did have a thermometer fitted showing -15oC Haha, ive replaced this and going to leave it over night, ill post back soon with my results

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I have a few tight storage areas, fitting simple vents in the room (into another room in one case) brought the temperature down to acceptable levels.
    Just be aware ventilation on it's own may not enough. Ventilation will do very little for you if the outside ambient temperature is high enough (granted we've not had a hot summer for a while now). More of a concern for me is that you don't have any control over the humidity (venting directly to the outside might make the humidity higher in some cases too). Condensation tends to love to collect on all those metal surfaces that make up your racks and equipment casings. So my advice if you can then do go for full climate control air conditioning.

Thank Post
    Yes, i carnt agree more, personally this room is the heart of the network, it already has vents to outside but like you say, i am also concerned to with condensation,
    in the next couple of months the room will be hosting a VoIP telephone system for approximately 170 users. ill see what temps come back as and see if i can get air con fitted.

Thank Post
    We found intumescent* door grills (one high in the door, one near the bottom) shaved 5-10 degrees (depends on time of year) off a cupboard that was getting a bit warm.

*if there's a fire they're self-sealing.

Thank Post
    Another vote for two door grills bringing down the temp in small cupboards holding switches. Also the addition of a small simple desktop fan running in the cupboard keeps the air circulating and stops the formation of stale air pockets round the back of the cabinets which also helps with reducing temperature.

Nothing beats proper air con though if it's mission critical.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you get any noise complaints from using that setup anywhere (library, offices, etc?)

Thank Post
    actually its next to one of our directors offices,when in his office there is a humming noise form the UPS Under load etc. You can also here the UPS Fans as you walk past aswell. Noise is ok at the moment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread