+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell Inspiron N1510 hard drive replacement in Technical; I'm working on a dodgey Dell Inspiron N1510 which is a month or so out of warranty and has recently ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dell Inspiron N1510 hard drive replacement

I'm working on a dodgey Dell Inspiron N1510 which is a month or so out of warranty and has recently been playing up. The owner thought it was a problem with Norton 360 which it has on it, checking it out though the hard drive looks like it's about to fail.

Looking replacing the HD up on U-Tube it's a right bar steward to replace the 500GB little monster which involves near enough complete disassembly and reassembly of the laptop as for reasons best known to the designer of the N5110 the flaming thing is fitted under the motherboard.

I'm looking for a replacement HD if anyone would like to offer a quote plus any advice would be welcome as well.

Thank Post
    Dell laptops are one of the easiest makes to take apart. They will use similar sized screws. The easiest way is to draw a rough shape of the laptop on some A4 and when you unscrew the screws place them on the paper in the position where they came out.

Remove the screen and lid assembly first, this will involve removing the keyboard to free up the wireless cables and some screws around the hinges.

Remove all the screws from the bottom of the laptop and maybe a couple from the top. A couple of ribbon cables will possibly need disconnecting and the laptop should then crack apart. I run my nail down the gap to open it up.

I repair most of the laptops here in the school and repair lots outside, any questions feel free to ask.

3. Thanks to difinity from:

speckytecky (20th December 2012)

Thank Post
    if you do replace think SSD! Otherwise does it have an express card slot? if so you could buy an express card SSD and not take it apart...

5. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

speckytecky (20th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Update. Made an image with Clonezilla but it reported as incomplete because of the state of the HD. Fitted the new HD and sure enough Clnezilla has been unable to restore it. I'm pretty sure my friend who owns the Laptop won't have created a restore disk of any kind. Is Dell likely to be able to supply a copy I wonder?

If we can't get a replacement OS disk from Dell looking at Amazon the OEM version is available at about £70. Would I be ok to pop that on and restore his files from the backup I made?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread