+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Desktops in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT Get multiple quotes from all the reputable companies mentioned and bounce them off of each other. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Get multiple quotes from all the reputable companies mentioned and bounce them off of each other. Is a warranty important to you?
    Thanks Edu-IT. Yes, warranty is something we will be looking out for. We will definitely discuss with all the companies mentioned and hopefully get a good deal.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Stone here, onsite next day warranty is excellent aswell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for bouncing the quotes around.

The financial guidelines for schools can be limiting sometimes (and mis-interepted).

I was being told by the business manager that I had to tender for large purchases of desktops, and these should all be opened at the same time and then decided upon.]

This was useless because:

a) It didn't allow me to negotiate with the companies
    b) The tenders were always slightly different when I needed them to be identical

On further investigation, it's all about fairness. You must be able to show that you have sent the intial quotes to all parties to ensure that they have had a chance to re-quote, and make sure that you give deadlines as well.

This is especially important to do when speaking to thed larger companies, as they are always willing to drop prices to get your business.

4. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

andyk (14th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Dell for Desktops here, mixture of Dells and HPs for laptops, HP laptops have improved greatly in build quality of the last year, but prefer Dells for Staff. out admin staff have just been upgraded to the Optiplex 9010 AIO machines with standard wired keyboards and wireless mice (non touch screen version) and they love them. The core I5 processor with the 4 gb of RAM makes working a dream, and the desk space reclaimed is great. Other desktops are the Optiplex 790s with the AIO screen stands, which are great for students use and great for DT with their deperate 512mb graphics cards to take the load of some of the CAD CAM (solidworks and 2d design)

Personally I like to stick with the tier 1 manufacturers and get them competing, as then you can get a good price for some really good machines.

6. Thanks to BKGarry from:

Thank Post
    Forgot to say, Dell (with a premier account) are usually cheaper than Stone too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    Hi

We are looking to get some new desktop PC's and was just wondering where everyone got their machines from (if you don't build them yourselves!)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Andrew
    Morning Andrew,

Ive sent you a PM

Thanks

9. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_B from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Novatech & Stone for us, always get exactly the spec I'm after, as I'm a PITA and make specific demands of motherboard chipsets and RAM arrangements (always dual channel!)

WRT warranty, with both of them we have a 5 year RTB warranty and have a handful of spare machines provided free as part of the warranty, so any faulty machine can be swapped out straight away and the broken machine then repaired at our leisure. We can have a user up and running again within ten minutes of a hardware failure, not sure you can beat that with an on-site warranty unless the engineer lives in your car park

Thank Post
    We've got Lenovo All in Ones from Stone. They're quick, look nice and have good support.

Thank Post
    Stone here as well next day onsite warranty with 5 year cover so usually replaced before out of warranty on rolling scale but to be honest get at least about 5 quotes every year just to make sure Stone are the best deal all in. So as someone as said get a few quotes and weigh up the options and what your getting for your money. We have used various in the past so Dell, Lenovo and HP all been ok but prefer Stone as usually price is competitive and give excellent support\warrenty. I have a good sales contact here who has been execellent over the last few years who doesn't hastle me but just deals with any queries I have and provides quotes for requirements etc.

Thank Post
    We've been buying Lenovo M58p ThinkCentre's lately! We have managed to get them for around 75 a unit, mind you they are refurbs. But they are still as good as new and faster than some of the Fujitsu i3's we have got for the office machines!

Thank Post
    @VeryPC > Stone

Just my opinion, the build qualities and cases arent even comparible.

Thank Post
    ICT Direct Lenovo M58Ps are our most recent purchases. 8GB RAM and an SSD, 3 year warranty, less than 250 each. Nice machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    ICT Direct Lenovo M58Ps are our most recent purchases. 8GB RAM and an SSD, 3 year warranty, less than 250 each. Nice machines.
    Same place we got our M58p's from!

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help everyone so far!

Thank Post
    +1 for stone on all counts, +1 for very PC based on previous experience, and an up-coming opportunity. -1 for novatech based on a poor batch of product and frankly lack lustre and confused service after the event. 0 for dell who have offered us nothing outstanding in terms of product, price or service for years.

19. Thanks to Oaktech from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast