+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Issue with new build of a Server in Technical; Finally got the last component of a new server sorted today; it's based on a ProLiant G8 which is connected ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Issue with new build of a Server

Finally got the last component of a new server sorted today; it's based on a ProLiant G8 which is connected to a new LTO-5 library which will form the basis of our backup server (D2D2T). For some reason the Redundant Power Supply Enabling kit was out of stock every where and only just turned up today. Finally get all the bits together to build this new beast.....

Bit tired, so walked away from it this evening and I'll go back afresh in the morning, but I'm wondering if people think I missing something here....

Two drive cages, basic LEF SAS hot swap. Additional RAID controller card supplied, and essentially Cage 1 has the 2 x 450Gb 15K SAS drives for the system with Cage 2 having 6 x 2TB 7.2k SAS. Embedded SAS controller connected to one of the SAS channels on Cage 1 housing the 2 x 15K and the RAID controller card connected to both channels on Cage 2. The server can see all the controllers no trouble but just doesn't see the drives on Cage 1. The card sees the eight drives in Cage 2 and wants to configure. I can't work out why embedded controller won't see the two 15K drives. And to make matters worse, one of the 15k drives then flagged up as failed followed by the 2nd one a short while later!!!

Not sure what to do; checked all the connections and all seems well - as I said, the controllers are being recognised seperately but just can't see the two in Cage 1. Should I just be ignoring the embedded, disconnect it and split the two channels over the two cages and run the 8 drives split? Or, do I possibly have a bad Cage ?

I've put a call in to the supplier for help, but this has got me scratching my head a bit. - Would appreciate any input.... !

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, I guess I should follow up - after much unplugging, plugging in, swearing, plug back in differently, unplug again and more swearing it would appear to be a fault of the mainboard. Various calls with HP and sending of health logs, engineer on route with new part hopefully Monday.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Well, I guess I should follow up - after much unplugging, plugging in, swearing, plug back in differently, unplug again and more swearing it would appear to be a fault of the mainboard. Various calls with HP and sending of health logs, engineer on route with new part hopefully Monday.

Pete
    And? lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread