+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Chromebooks and Office365 in Technical; Using a guest account is possible it would seem - would this work for your situation? Browse as a guest ...
    Thank Post
    Using a guest account is possible it would seem - would this work for your situation? Browse as a guest - Chrome OS Help. No personal experience with this though...

2. Thanks to Netman from:

fiza (14th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Using a guest account is possible it would seem - would this work for your situation? Browse as a guest - Chrome OS Help. No personal experience with this though...
    That sounds good. Only problem I can see is that browsing history is deleted as soon as you log out. But then again you are not logging in, in theory, so it is anonymous anyway.

SPM

Thank Post

I can't see any issues with GMail or Google Docs.

Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I had no say. It was all done and dusted before I started working here.
    I don't think you will have any problem here using Gmail and Google apps for domains and combining the two sets of email accounts into one. I administered Google Apps for Domains for a business and it integrates very well with pretty well everything. Gmail domain management is very flexible, and you can try it out along with Google Docs and Google sites using your existing Windows laptops before committing to Chromebooks. You should speak to a Google education representative about this.

The setup for email we had in my former employer is as follows:
    1) We registered an Internet domain name and set up Google domain account and Gmail new accounts for all users.
    2) We asked out ISP (Demon Internet) to forward all emails they received addressed to the old domain to our new domain.
    3) We set up Google accounts to send out emails masquerading as being sent from the old email domain (a confirmation email must be sent from the old account to allow this).

Voila - we can send and receive email as if they were from the old email address. The same account will handle emails addressed to the new email address. If you are happy to simply use the new domain address for all new emails while receiving emails addressed to the old and the new address, simply omit step 3.

An even simpler way is to simply transfer your existing domain name to somebody like uk2.net who can provide a DNS server with the facility for user management of DNS records and set the DNS Mail Exchange Records on their DNS server to point at Google's mail servers. You can also transfer existing domain name to an ISP who is willing to set your DNS settings for you to point at Google's mail servers. This way you only have a single email domain - the one you already have - only it works with your Gmail accounts, your existing email server is Google's email server instead of your ISP's SMTP server.

Quite frankly you are not tied into Google in any way if you use Chromebooks. The only thing you have to do is to set up a Google Domain and use that rather than your local Windows AD server for authentication, what is more, you can synchronize tour Google account login with Windows AD login if you want
    The Google Enterprise Expert Blog: How to sync Active Directory passwords with Google Apps. You can just as easily use Windows PCs to access your Google accounts and domains.

In reality though Office 365 is rubbish compared to Google Docs and expensive. I can't see why anyone would use it if they aren't committed to MS Office legacy file format or third party file format compatibility reasons.

Read Google Apps Help
    Note however that Google has special domain services for education, which may be better suited to education and is likely to be cheaper
    Google Apps for Education

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPM View Post

In reality though Office 365 is rubbish compared to Google Docs and expensive. I can't see why anyone would use it if they aren't committed to MS Office legacy file format or third party file format compatibility reasons.
    Google docs does even work with the legacy file formats. If you add the google apps plugin for MS Office - the files are instantly uploaded as binary files to Google apps when the file is changed in MSOffice.

Quote Originally Posted by SPM View Post
    Note however that Google has special domain services for education, which may be better suited to education and is likely to be cheaper
    Google Apps for Education
    It is actually free for education - the same service that costs business £30 per user per year.
    Some quite large firms are using it now. Jurnalists at the guardian, who you might expect to be using traditional office apps, have been using Google apps for over three years
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 19th December 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Thank Post
    we have a couple of Chromebooks at work, and use the guest account on there instead of using school accounts. We have been told that the management system for chromebooks isn't available in the UK a few weeks ago, and call centre staff aren't hugely clued up about them.
    One thing to think about is how you are going to use your proxies. On the guest account you have to tick a box every time you sign in, and i would think the same would be for every other user...

SPM

Thank Post
    You can still set up and use Google Apps for domains with individual Chromebooks or Windows PCs or Macs. I believe you need buy Chromebooks through Google Education or Google Business sales in order to have them preconfigured to allow forced centralised management of the Chromebook devices - for example to force certain options on or off, and to force installation or block installation of certain extensions etc. I believe you can get Chromebooks bought on the consumer market to join a management domain, but it is easier if you buy Chromebooks through Education or Business sales.

SPM

Thank Post
    A Google Apps Domain is way of linking a number of Google accounts to an Internet domain name for the purposes of Email and Google Sites etc. and doing administration on them collectively. For example if your school was Rydell High and you registered the domain rydellhigh.edu, you would have email accounts studentsname@rydellhigh.edu for all your students, and you could set up internal web sites like class-5-assignments.rydellhigh.edu which students in class-5 can be granted access to after logging into their rydell high Google accounts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12