+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Which SSD drives are people using now? in Technical; This article may be relevant with considerations of size: AnandTech - Exploring the Relationship Between Spare Area and Performance Consistency ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This article may be relevant with considerations of size: AnandTech - Exploring the Relationship Between Spare Area and Performance Consistency in Modern SSDs

Leaving 25% of the space unused results in both quicker & more consistent performance. If you're running a modern OS with TRIM support then you shouldn't need to do much beyond "leave that bit empty" - partitioning shouldn't be necessary, strictly speaking.

So on a 128Gb drive, use no more than 96Gb and enjoy the benefits.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    This article may be relevant with considerations of size: AnandTech - Exploring the Relationship Between Spare Area and Performance Consistency in Modern SSDs

Leaving 25% of the space unused results in both quicker & more consistent performance. If you're running a modern OS with TRIM support then you shouldn't need to do much beyond "leave that bit empty" - partitioning shouldn't be necessary, strictly speaking.

So on a 128Gb drive, use no more than 96Gb and enjoy the benefits.
    Yep thats why the Intels are so good. Notice they don't advertise the full amount of space. The 60GB they sell actually has more chips inside improving performance and reliability.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Yep thats why the Intels are so good. Notice they don't advertise the full amount of space. The 60GB they sell actually has more chips inside improving performance and reliability.
    That article says that Intel's new DC S3700 (enterprise grade SSD) actually has
    264GiB of NAND on-board but only exposes 186GiB of it (200GB advertised capacity) as user accessible storage
    It's probably also why Intel drives always cost more

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Has anyone used the Seagate Momentus Hybrid drives yet? I need a drive upgrade for my home laptop and for the price a 750gb hybrid seems like a cracking deal!
    Used one in this very laptop for the last year, initial speed difference was noticeable, however with the drive almost full and random usage id say its no different to a good quality HDD.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Used one in this very laptop for the last year, initial speed difference was noticeable, however with the drive almost full and random usage id say its no different to a good quality HDD.
    I've heard fairly mixed reports about them as well to be honest. The general feedback seemed to be that it's no match for an SSD. You can get a 128Gb model for around £50 these days so unless you really need a teragbyte of storage on your laptop there probably isn't much point IMO.

Having said that I only use my laptop as a portable device. If you're laptop was your main computer I could understand you might not be so keen to make that compromise.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 4th December 2012 at 03:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I've heard fairly mixed reports about them as well to be honest. The general feedback seemed to be that it's no match for an SSD. You can get a 128Gb model for around £50 these days so unless you really need a teragbyte of storage on your laptop there probably isn't much point IMO.

Having said that I only use my laptop as a portable device. If you're laptop was your main computer I could understand you might not be so keen to make that compromise.

Yes this is my portable workstation, so it was a compromise. Its quick enough for what I do, and will certainly be quick enough until we see sensible prices for 500Gb+ SSDs anyway.
    Im slowly moving my locally stored VMs onto a microserver so I wont need them with me all the time.

Thank Post
    Mix of Crucial M4 (most commonly) and Kingston V200+. Very happy with both - our base images are small (even with CS5.5, Office etc) so 64GB drives have been fine, only half full or so. More is always better though. I'm also running them on everything from SATA 1 (mobile Intel 945) to SATA 3 interfaces - still gives a huge speed boost on the old connection.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12