+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Weird graphics card issue in Technical; I have just upgraded a HP DX2400 PC to windows 7. It came with a 19" TFT when I bought ...

Thank Post

Weird graphics card issue

I have just upgraded a HP DX2400 PC to windows 7. It came with a 19" TFT when I bought it many moons ago but windows 7 doesn't support the resolution it needs natively whereas XP did. I decided to buy a graphics card to see if that fixed it but the graphics card doesn't disply from the VGA port on boot so I can't get into the bios but it does show up when windows boots... this is going to be very confusing for staff. Also, when I have installed the driver its only giving me an option of 800v600 and 1024x 864.. nothing more even when I go into the Nvdia control panel.
    I have checked the correct driver is installed and checked for updates... even 'downgraded' to one on thr M$ site.
    The grpahics card is a Asus 210 PCI-x card.

Anyone seen this or can offer advice.

I don't have a DVI monitor free to check if the output to DVI is different.

Oh and the monitor ID doesn't display in the Asus control panel correctly so I don't think its identifying it right either but I would have thought it would let me have more than 2 resolution choices.

Thank Post
    Have you tried plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA port in order to get into the BIOS, then changing the settings to look for the add-in graphics card and moving the cable back?

Any chance you have some kind of policy forcing a graphics mode?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I have just upgraded a HP DX2400 PC to windows 7. It came with a 19" TFT when I bought it many moons ago but windows 7 doesn't support the resolution it needs natively whereas XP did. I decided to buy a graphics card to see if that fixed it but the graphics card doesn't disply from the VGA port on boot so I can't get into the bios but it does show up when windows boots... this is going to be very confusing for staff. Also, when I have installed the driver its only giving me an option of 800v600 and 1024x 864.. nothing more even when I go into the Nvdia control panel.
    I have checked the correct driver is installed and checked for updates... even 'downgraded' to one on thr M$ site.
    The grpahics card is a Asus 210 PCI-x card.

Anyone seen this or can offer advice.

I don't have a DVI monitor free to check if the output to DVI is different.

Oh and the monitor ID doesn't display in the Asus control panel correctly so I don't think its identifying it right either but I would have thought it would let me have more than 2 resolution choices.
    That's either PNP monitor drivers which aren't picking up the correct resolution or you need to get the proper GFX card driver for your onboard card.

In the BIOS you need to disable the onboard GFX card if you want the BIOS to appear out of the secondary card, the secondary will then become the primary/only card and BIOS etc will show.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Usually you can get drivers for your screen, so it displays all available resolutions and not a few basic ones. Windows Update is a good place to start.

Thank Post
    I agree with Michael, Windows update resolved our graphics card issue.

Thank Post
    Sorted, sort of.

The computer had an external VGA splitter, when i plugged the monitor in directly to the card it showed up as the correct monitor. I swapped it for a new internal splitter (Lindy one that i like, less clutter) and it still didn't show the monitor but it gave me all the resolutions I wanted including the 1366 I needed.

Still don't think its showing the bios welcome screen. looks liek its outputting to DVI on bootup but I obviously can't get into it to change it to VGA unless I borrow a dvi monitor for a bit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread