+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, dell poweredge 1950 in Technical; Originally Posted by gengads Hi dear friend I'm glad I came to this link, I am having the same issue ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gengads View Post
    Hi dear friend

I'm glad I came to this link, I am having the same issue as well could you please very kindly advice me how did you solve this problem, I have seen SYNACK reply and I have downloaded the first software and connect it through DRAC network card going through media and then select ISO image, which I have downloaded from Dell it seems like is not connecting, Please advice how did you over come this problem and what steps did you follow, I got the same server as you do

Dell Poweredge 1950 quad core 16G ram 3,5 SATA 2 x 500 total 930, 2 ghz,

I been having a lot of problem mounting my Vmware, it complain about the HDD not available.

Many Thanks in advance
    Could you clarify - do you mean you're trying to install VMware on this server? If so, are you using the 'vanilla' VMware ESXi image, or are you using the customised Dell VMware image? If you haven't tried the latter then give it a go - it contains drivers, etc. which have been slipstreamed into the VMware ESXi installer. This should/may allow ESXi to see your hard drives and/or RAID card and install.
    Last edited by Duke; 3rd February 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Could you clarify - do you mean you're trying to install VMware on this server? If so, are you using the 'vanilla' VMware ESXi image, or are you using the customised Dell VMware image? If you haven't tried the latter then give it a go - it contains drivers, etc. which have been slipstreamed into the VMware ESXi installer. This should/may allow ESXi to see your hard drives and/or RAID card and install.

I'm installing Vmware which I have downloaded from vmware web site it's 4.1 I believe it's full version trail one. I am not able to see my hard disk and the installation fails and the error message is unable to see hard disk. If I go raid controller screen it shows Raid-0 is states is offline and the virtual disk 0 show up red.

Please advice your what you think

Many Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm installing Vmware which I have downloaded from vmware web site it's 4.1 I believe it's full version trail one. I am not able to see my hard disk and the installation fails and the error message is unable to see hard disk. If I go raid controller screen it shows Raid-0 is states is offline and the virtual disk 0 show up red.
    Okay, first we need to get your RAID array sorted. Do you have any data that you need on the drives at the moment? If not, then go into the RAID controller BIOS, remove the RAID 0 configuration, and create a new RAID array. I would recommend you use RAID 1 rather than RAID 0, as RAID 1 will be more reliable and ESXi doesn't need the performance of RAID 0 (unless you were also planning to store virtual machines on this array?)

Once the array is showing as healthy, you need to download the Dell customised VMware installer:

To download the Dell customized VMware ESXi 4.x and 5.0 images, go to Dell support website (Go to Welcome to Small Business Support -> Select ‘Support for Enterprise IT’ -> Go to ‘Drivers and Downloads’-> ’Enter Service tag’ or select ‘Choose from a list of all Dell products’ option -> Select ‘Servers, Storage, & Networking’ option -> Select ‘PowerEdge’ -> Select the system as per your configuration -> Once the system is selected, Select the ‘Operating System’ as ESXi 4.x or ESXi 5.0 as per your requirement -> Click ‘Enterprise Solutions’ sub tab -> The ISO image is listed there ). The Dell customized VMware ESXi 4.x and Dell Customized VMware ESXi 5.0 images are also available @ VMware Support & Downloads page.
    (credit)

Give this a try then let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Duke; 3rd February 2013 at 10:52 PM.

Thank Post
    This is the Vmware which I have used I downloaded from Vmware web site {VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0.update03-800380.x86_64}. Your one is different and it's used for Dell server I will try this option and will let you know the outcome. Since I am not expert on Dell server I can get into RIAD controller but unable to select it or unable to make any changes what is the processes to go about this issue, I will delete what ever I got in it. and start the process all over again, can you please advice me how to delete the RAID-0 from Dell 1950? Do I have to first bring it offline and then delete it......

Many Thanks I really appreciate all your effort

Thank Post
    can you please advice me how to delete the RAID-0 from Dell 1950? Do I have to first bring it offline and then delete it......
    It depends on the specific server / RAID card and I can't remember exactly which my old PE1950's had... but the general process is:

• Reboot the server and be looking at the screen while it boots back up
    • Just after the Dell BIOS screen, you should see something like 'Adaptec RAID BIOS' or 'PERC 5/i Controller' you should get the option to hit a key (maybe ctrl+a) to enter the RAID BIOS
    • Once in the RAID BIOS, you should be able to use the keyboard to navigate around and delete the old array, then create a new RAID 1 array and select which disks you want to put in it
    • Save the array changes, then give it a little while to build the array, then try booting off the VMware/Dell disk

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    When you look at the raid option it shows gray which means I can not highlight it. In order for me to highlight and to make changes it need to have it as white color then I can change the raid-0 to Raid-1. not only that I am having a problem with the second drive I can see it on the RAID controller. the disk is there put you can't do anything to it, that reduces to 460mb size rather then 930mb which is almost to 1 TB. Any idea why this is like this? I hope install vmware/dell option will resolve this issue and get all me 930mb disk

Doing initialization on virtual disk is it necessary to do it?

Thanks for the quick respond

Thank Post
    One more thing if you look at option PD Mgmt it the states on the second physical disk is says SATA Foreign how do we bring it online same as disk 1. That may help you to understand even more

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Chris,

Issue has been fixed by delete both physical disk and then rebuild it all over again that's when I was able to chose between RAID-0/1. I have used the software you have suggested that did not solve the problem it gave me the same error message, I spend all my weekend to understand how this disk works. finally managed to read and solve the issue. Any body who face this issue just rebuild you drives all over again and that should solve the problem

You have been very helpful, and would like to thank you so much for that.

Top Man

9. Thanks to gengads from:

Duke (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Great, glad you managed to sort it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12