Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Laptops for Teacher in Technical; Hello everyone, I'm not quite sure where to post this, but since it is a hardware lease, I thought this ...
    Thank Post

Laptops for Teacher

Hello everyone,

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but since it is a hardware lease, I thought this would be the more appropriate place.

Does any schools here provide individual laptops to all their teachers? We're trying to cut down on costs and this question has popped up. Could you please provide feedback.

Thank you.

Kindest regards,
    Paul

Thank Post
    at the moment we do, but we also have a desktop in every classroom that was bought at the same time.

So they pretty much need replacing at the same time.....

We're thinking of doing one of two things:

1. Windows 8 Tablets for all teachers, with docking stations in classrooms and offices. No desktops.
    2. Desktops in classrooms and an ipad for each teacher.

Works out at about the same cost, not sure which to go for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post
    1. Windows 8 Tablets for all teachers, with docking stations in classrooms and offices. No desktops.

Really?

Are you including the iOS server you need for iPad management? Plus any training you'll need to look after it. [Not casting aspersions.]

And then there's staff training... Which they may or may not listen to.

I thought a Windows tablet you could attach to the network would be cheaper than the iPads, especially if you sell off the old desktops or use them against the cost of the tablet.

Thank Post

We're thinking of doing one of two things:

What did you see as the main advantages of going down the the windows8 tablet / ipad route for staff? I'm kind of curious as we're being asked to look into ipads/tablets for staff at our school.

Thank Post
    We're going to give a device to every child in 2014. In order to do that, I first need to give the same device to teachers so that they can plan to use them.

So the debate we're having is iOS or Windows 8. At the moment, Windows 8 would be better for us from a technical point of view, but the number and range of apps and educational resources avalible make an apple device very appealing. Android only really have flash going for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Really?

Are you including the iOS server you need for iPad management? Plus any training you'll need to look after it. [Not casting aspersions.]

And then there's staff training... Which they may or may not listen to.

I thought a Windows tablet you could attach to the network would be cheaper than the iPads, especially if you sell off the old desktops or use them against the cost of the tablet.
    Windows tablets(not the surface rt) seem to cost a fair bit more per device.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to point out that Windows 8 RT is a consumer device. It doesnt support proxies etc. The support from MS is also short on these devices.

Thank Post
    We're going to give a device to every child in 2014. In order to do that, I first need to give the same device to teachers so that they can plan to use them.
    We're hoping to do pretty much the same actually. Tablets/laptop for staff and then pupils on a 1:1 basis the following year. iPads have been suggested but I can't help but feel they're slightly too limited in what they offer. Windows RT sounds appealing (especially as a pupil device with Office being built-in, lower cost, etc) but I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative to Windows8 at the moment.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 26th November 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    We're hoping to do pretty much the same actually. Tablets/laptop for staff and then pupils on a 1:1 basis the following year. iPads have been suggested but I can't help but feel they're slightly too limited in what they offer. Windows RT sounds appealing (especially as a pupil device with Office being built-in, lower cost, etc) but I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative to Windows8 at the moment.
    Its the large volume of people using the ipad in education that is the biggest draw, lots and lots of blogs and people sharing ideas for these devices. There are limitations to any platform, and the vendor lock in is pretty aweful.

Thank Post
    Since our teaching staff got Laptops from the Laptops for Teachers scheme we haven't replaced any due to damage, age etc. Staff were made aware right at the start that the laptop they were provided would more than likely be the first and last. Other than replacing Power cables, we have stuck to this rule for all staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Since our teaching staff got Laptops from the Laptops for Teachers scheme we haven't replaced any due to damage, age etc. Staff were made aware right at the start that the laptop they were provided would more than likely be the first and last. Other than replacing Power cables, we have stuck to this rule for all staff.
    Those were issued years ago! You still have them going?! We've gone through 2 generations of laptops since then here!

We looked at cutting costs but we just can't do it. Every teacher gets issued a laptop here, and its replaced around every 3 years, sometimes 4 years. We've looked at switching to desktop PCs in classrooms, but it would lead to a lot of complaints from staff, as not many of them leave their devices in school overnight, they're mostly taken home to work on.

rdk

Thank Post
    Some points form our experience introducing iPads:
    - teachers did not need an iPad to plan for ways for the kids to use them
    - teachers teach classes quite happily with kids using iPads and teachers using their laptops
    - the kids came up with much more creative ways to use the iPads than did the few teachers who were given iPads to prepare for their introduction
    - many of our carefully researched and selected education apps remain virtually unused
    - if possible in your school let the kids download and install apps at school so when something good is discovered they can share it with each other, but this inevitably means iPads full of games

Thank Post
    We have decided to continue with replacing teacher laptops and getting rid of the single pc in each classroom.

Just trialed a fantastic universal docking station (90). very easy to setup - usb cable from the laptop to the docking station, installed a few drivers in seconds, job done. It gave me audio, video and even the promethean iwb still worked with no noticeable loss of quality.

We have desks which we can hide the docking station in so the teacher has literally just one usb cable to plug into their laptop and away they go. No need to even touch any sockets on the wall.

Thank Post
    We have single pc's in each classtroom / teaching staff also have laptops / some staff have ipads / iphones..... Want to streamline this so we have one generic device so we can support it. We have some surplus and I need some advice on what to buy for staff, which will last 3-4 years?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread