Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Hardware Thread, Laptops for Teacher in Technical; Hello everyone, I'm not quite sure where to post this, but since it is a hardware lease, I thought this ...
  1. #1
    PaulRenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    42
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5

    Laptops for Teacher

    Hello everyone,

    I'm not quite sure where to post this, but since it is a hardware lease, I thought this would be the more appropriate place.

    Does any schools here provide individual laptops to all their teachers? We're trying to cut down on costs and this question has popped up. Could you please provide feedback.

    Thank you.

    Kindest regards,
    Paul

  2. #2
    jstuttard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    147
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    at the moment we do, but we also have a desktop in every classroom that was bought at the same time.

    So they pretty much need replacing at the same time.....

    We're thinking of doing one of two things:

    1. Windows 8 Tablets for all teachers, with docking stations in classrooms and offices. No desktops.
    2. Desktops in classrooms and an ipad for each teacher.

    Works out at about the same cost, not sure which to go for.

  3. #3

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,093
    Thank Post
    592
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post
    1. Windows 8 Tablets for all teachers, with docking stations in classrooms and offices. No desktops.
    2. Desktops in classrooms and an ipad for each teacher.

    Works out at about the same cost, not sure which to go for.
    Really?

    Are you including the iOS server you need for iPad management? Plus any training you'll need to look after it. [Not casting aspersions.]

    And then there's staff training... Which they may or may not listen to.

    I thought a Windows tablet you could attach to the network would be cheaper than the iPads, especially if you sell off the old desktops or use them against the cost of the tablet.

  4. #4
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post

    We're thinking of doing one of two things:

    1. Windows 8 Tablets for all teachers, with docking stations in classrooms and offices. No desktops.
    2. Desktops in classrooms and an ipad for each teacher.

    Works out at about the same cost, not sure which to go for.
    What did you see as the main advantages of going down the the windows8 tablet / ipad route for staff? I'm kind of curious as we're being asked to look into ipads/tablets for staff at our school.

  5. #5
    jstuttard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    147
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    We're going to give a device to every child in 2014. In order to do that, I first need to give the same device to teachers so that they can plan to use them.

    So the debate we're having is iOS or Windows 8. At the moment, Windows 8 would be better for us from a technical point of view, but the number and range of apps and educational resources avalible make an apple device very appealing. Android only really have flash going for it.

  6. #6
    jstuttard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    147
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Really?

    Are you including the iOS server you need for iPad management? Plus any training you'll need to look after it. [Not casting aspersions.]

    And then there's staff training... Which they may or may not listen to.

    I thought a Windows tablet you could attach to the network would be cheaper than the iPads, especially if you sell off the old desktops or use them against the cost of the tablet.
    Windows tablets(not the surface rt) seem to cost a fair bit more per device.

  7. #7

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,935
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    446
    Just to point out that Windows 8 RT is a consumer device. It doesnt support proxies etc. The support from MS is also short on these devices.

  8. #8
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post
    We're going to give a device to every child in 2014. In order to do that, I first need to give the same device to teachers so that they can plan to use them.
    We're hoping to do pretty much the same actually. Tablets/laptop for staff and then pupils on a 1:1 basis the following year. iPads have been suggested but I can't help but feel they're slightly too limited in what they offer. Windows RT sounds appealing (especially as a pupil device with Office being built-in, lower cost, etc) but I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative to Windows8 at the moment.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 26th November 2012 at 03:13 PM.

  9. #9
    jstuttard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    147
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    We're hoping to do pretty much the same actually. Tablets/laptop for staff and then pupils on a 1:1 basis the following year. iPads have been suggested but I can't help but feel they're slightly too limited in what they offer. Windows RT sounds appealing (especially as a pupil device with Office being built-in, lower cost, etc) but I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative to Windows8 at the moment.
    Its the large volume of people using the ipad in education that is the biggest draw, lots and lots of blogs and people sharing ideas for these devices. There are limitations to any platform, and the vendor lock in is pretty aweful.

  10. #10

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,206
    Thank Post
    372
    Thanked 377 Times in 335 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Since our teaching staff got Laptops from the Laptops for Teachers scheme we haven't replaced any due to damage, age etc. Staff were made aware right at the start that the laptop they were provided would more than likely be the first and last. Other than replacing Power cables, we have stuck to this rule for all staff.

  11. #11

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Since our teaching staff got Laptops from the Laptops for Teachers scheme we haven't replaced any due to damage, age etc. Staff were made aware right at the start that the laptop they were provided would more than likely be the first and last. Other than replacing Power cables, we have stuck to this rule for all staff.
    Those were issued years ago! You still have them going?! We've gone through 2 generations of laptops since then here!

    We looked at cutting costs but we just can't do it. Every teacher gets issued a laptop here, and its replaced around every 3 years, sometimes 4 years. We've looked at switching to desktop PCs in classrooms, but it would lead to a lot of complaints from staff, as not many of them leave their devices in school overnight, they're mostly taken home to work on.

  12. #12
    rdk
    rdk is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    136
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post
    We're going to give a device to every child in 2014. In order to do that, I first need to give the same device to teachers so that they can plan to use them.
    Some points form our experience introducing iPads:
    - teachers did not need an iPad to plan for ways for the kids to use them
    - teachers teach classes quite happily with kids using iPads and teachers using their laptops
    - the kids came up with much more creative ways to use the iPads than did the few teachers who were given iPads to prepare for their introduction
    - many of our carefully researched and selected education apps remain virtually unused
    - if possible in your school let the kids download and install apps at school so when something good is discovered they can share it with each other, but this inevitably means iPads full of games

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    london
    Posts
    105
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    We have decided to continue with replacing teacher laptops and getting rid of the single pc in each classroom.

    Just trialed a fantastic universal docking station (90). very easy to setup - usb cable from the laptop to the docking station, installed a few drivers in seconds, job done. It gave me audio, video and even the promethean iwb still worked with no noticeable loss of quality.

    We have desks which we can hide the docking station in so the teacher has literally just one usb cable to plug into their laptop and away they go. No need to even touch any sockets on the wall.

  14. #14
    Get2theChoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    We have single pc's in each classtroom / teaching staff also have laptops / some staff have ipads / iphones..... Want to streamline this so we have one generic device so we can support it. We have some surplus and I need some advice on what to buy for staff, which will last 3-4 years?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Laptops For Teachers Scheme
    By MuppetQueen in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14th November 2006, 04:47 PM
  2. Laptops for teachers
    By _Bob_ in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th March 2006, 07:32 PM
  3. Laptops For Teachers
    By Pear in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18th January 2006, 08:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •