+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Sony Vaio PCG-8111m (vgn-ar71s) in Technical; Hi all, I got the above laptop and it wont boot or post. I get 1 long and 2 short ...
    Thank Post

Sony Vaio PCG-8111m (vgn-ar71s)

Hi all,

I got the above laptop and it wont boot or post.

I get 1 long and 2 short beeps. I swapped ram. Dissconnected hard drives (yes theres 2)

Googleing not really helping me much.

Any ideas

Just found outs its a vgn-ar71s
    Last edited by newpersn; 16th November 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Thank Post

Re: Sony Vaio PCG-8111m (vgn-ar71s)

Found out what other is.

Video chip error.

Thank Post
    your problem is that the previous owner(or u) used it allot for gaming 24/7 maybe,witch made the GPU pins not being soldered tight on the MB, to solve that remove the aluminium radiator, (there are many chips that radiator cools but the GPU is in the middle of it
    u will see another metal plate that cools the GPU, lift that up using a pen or somthing then start the computer untill the gpu smells of burned soldering paste,just a bit, then shut the computer off,then your computer will work, do it again if it doesnt, maybe u didnt cooked it good at first time , also watch out of the termal pads (not termal paste) that are connected to the adjancent gpu witch the radiator also cools, theyr kinda fragile, make shure u dont destroy them when removing the aluminium radiator.
    most likely my info is not complete or hard to understand so i suggest go to youtube and search how to fix gpu not working, the will show in detail , some even use hair dryers to cook the gpu , but its more complicated as u need to protect the MB with aluminium foil and it just overcomplicate things.

now why this happened exactly? using the gpu (on this shity OVEREXPENCIVE PCG-8111M or vgn-ar71s ) too much and too hot makes the soldering paste that binds the GPU pins to the MB to melt a bit and move in some other places , making some of the pins not connect properly, by heating it up again the GPU it should work again, ( your computer doesnt work because after u shut it down it cooled , then probably when u woke up, go to play or somthing it wouldnt work, why , because it cooled off and the soldering paste was in another position,cooking it again usualy fix the problem, for a few days, or months,when its going to broke again u just redo this steps ( beats service as they do the very same thing and it cost a shit load of money every single time they do it).

SIDE NOTE :
    for this motha faking laptop is hard to just remove the botom pannel as with the screws(witch are allot) it is locked with clicks and what not so patience is required.)

This thing hapens to alot of laptops when used extencivelly for long periods of times.
    i hope it helped u and u could understand what i am saying and sry for any grammar , english is not my native language.

Thank Post

Re: Sony Vaio PCG-8111m (vgn-ar71s)

Quote Originally Posted by fructa View Post
    your problem is that the previous owner(or u) used it allot for gaming 24/7 maybe,witch made the GPU pins not being soldered tight on the MB, to solve that remove the aluminium radiator, (there are many chips that radiator cools but the GPU is in the middle of it
    u will see another metal plate that cools the GPU, lift that up using a pen or somthing then start the computer untill the gpu smells of burned soldering paste,just a bit, then shut the computer off,then your computer will work, do it again if it doesnt, maybe u didnt cooked it good at first time , also watch out of the termal pads (not termal paste) that are connected to the adjancent gpu witch the radiator also cools, theyr kinda fragile, make shure u dont destroy them when removing the aluminium radiator.
    most likely my info is not complete or hard to understand so i suggest go to youtube and search how to fix gpu not working, the will show in detail , some even use hair dryers to cook the gpu , but its more complicated as u need to protect the MB with aluminium foil and it just overcomplicate things.

now why this happened exactly? using the gpu (on this shity OVEREXPENCIVE PCG-8111M or vgn-ar71s ) too much and too hot makes the soldering paste that binds the GPU pins to the MB to melt a bit and move in some other places , making some of the pins not connect properly, by heating it up again the GPU it should work again, ( your computer doesnt work because after u shut it down it cooled , then probably when u woke up, go to play or somthing it wouldnt work, why , because it cooled off and the soldering paste was in another position,cooking it again usualy fix the problem, for a few days, or months,when its going to broke again u just redo this steps ( beats service as they do the very same thing and it cost a shit load of money every single time they do it).

SIDE NOTE :
    for this motha faking laptop is hard to just remove the botom pannel as with the screws(witch are allot) it is locked with clicks and what not so patience is required.)

This thing hapens to alot of laptops when used extencivelly for long periods of times.
    i hope it helped u and u could understand what i am saying and sry for any grammar , english is not my native language.
    Too late. Its now scrap metal.

I was asked to look at it for a friend.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread