+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Oh dear! What's wrong here? in Technical; Hi everyone, Other than replying with, 'yeah, that's knackered', what's the first thing that springs to mind when diagnosing the ...

Thank Post

Oh dear! What's wrong here?

Hi everyone,

Other than replying with, 'yeah, that's knackered', what's the first thing that springs to mind when diagnosing the random purple blobs, in the corners of the image? The bulb has recently been replaced, following the death of the previous one.
    Ill Projector.jpg

Thank Post
    Burning on optics in the unit.

When we had some that were so bad, we replaced, be took apart to have a good look inside, and some of the optics had obvious discolouration.

Thank Post
    The projector mirror of the LCD has been cooked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Best case scenario is that it's caked on dust rather than burned. We had one like this (though not as bad) that showed considerable improvement after dismantling and giving the optics a good blast with an air compressor.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Best case scenario is that it's caked on dust rather than burned. We had one like this (though not as bad) that showed considerable improvement after dismantling and giving the optics a good blast with an air compressor.
    Tried that once and blew myself up - I think a capacitor still had a slight charge as I blew air into the unit (it had been off powered down but not unplugged all night). Then Boom I went a little red faced.

But as others have said it tends to be when they cook or get old. If its in warranty send it back if not try dismantling. and cleaning else buy a new one!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Sounds like we should make a hot date with a screwdriver and some compressed air.

Thank Post
    Just make sure it's not too hot if you're using canned air, or you might ignite the propellant.

Seriously, that stuff is extremely flammable and I have heard of projectors creating a fireball if they are given a blast while on or too soon after turning off. That why I use a compressor.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 15th November 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Just make sure it's not too hot if you're using canned air, or you might ignite the propellant.

Seriously, that stuff is extremely flammable and I have heard of projectors creating a fireball if they are given a blast while on or too soon after turning off. That why I use a compressor.
    Done it myself, the year 11's in the classroom at the time found it rather funny!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I would say that whatever you do, you are simply delaying the inevitable... use the short new lease of life to make your case for a new one!

Thank Post
    It is the dust being burned onto the internal working parts. So many people forget that the projector needs some basic maintenance and cleaning - if you dont clean them you are actually invalidating the warranty and the manufacturers may decline if you have an issue. You would be better off getting someone in to clean them - pro's will do eight to ten units in a day and give you an up to date assett sheet

Thank Post
    Just a thought, but have you got a laptop and a known working vga cable? You can connect it directly to the projector and then eliminate one element that is known to cause purple screen, a faulty vga cable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread