+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, All in one PCs in Technical; Humour me on this one... Mr gee40 wants a new desktop at home and is attracted by various all-in-one offerings ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts

All in one PCs

Humour me on this one... Mr gee40 wants a new desktop at home and is attracted by various all-in-one offerings because they look nice and there are fewer trailing wires.

While I can use my usual disdain for all-in-one anythings with school staff on the grounds that if one bit breaks then you'll have to replace the whole s*dding lot, this is not a tactic that works with my husband. As a techie, he's a very good accountant!

There seems to be a choice of Win 7 and Win 8 around at the moment... and that's another story... training Mr gee40 in the use of an OS other than XP is going to be like helping one of the less quick on the uptake teachers! Many have touch screens, though I'm not a great fan of these either!

So, assuming I can't get round his arguments and I end up giving in... Does anyone have any experience of these who could recommend one? (or definitely say don't get a particular brand)

I know they are not cheap. I'd be looking at a minimum i5 processor. It wouldn't be used particularly hard... internet, office, itunes and photo manipulation mostly, certainly not gaming.

Thank Post
    I like Lenovo AIO, they are rock solid and you can even fix a few things yourself.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

elsiegee40 (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    I've heard good things about the touch screen toshiba desktop doobry... but personally I would get an ordinary desktop with a touchscreen (elo for preference) and win 8.

Thank Post
    Lenovo's are great. We just installed 108 of them and all good so far.

6. Thanks to reggiep from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Lenovo's are great. We just installed 108 of them and all good so far.
    What have you got @reggiep ?

Do they have touch screens, are you using Win 7 or Win 8 on them and how well did staff adapt to using them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be dubious about a touchscreen AIO as "on a desk" is really not a comfortable position to be using a touch interface, and you'll just end up with smudged greasy fingerprints all over it.

Win7 is, at the end of the day, not all that different from WinXP, and shouldn't take too much adjusting; the only differences are nice additions rather than outright removals as with Win8. Personally I reckon Win8 is probably, actually, ok, but it's certainly a bigger change than XP->7 was.

9. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    We have around 70 2-year old Lenovo A70z units, half in Admin/support, the rest in Art & Music. They certainly have a smaller footprint & look less cluttered than a 'normal' setup. They are not touch screen, we use them to run Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise. Ours are i3 and with 4gb memory make a reasonable job of handling photoshop.

They are pretty solid; I have had no complaints from users. We did have quite a few (10%) with fan failures that were repaired under warranty. As you might imagine, they have limited upgrade potential or expansion capability. You need to check what ports you need, we had planned upon using a couple in a classroom hooked up to a projector but they didn't have VGA or DVI ports.

11. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    We use Dell Vostro i3 touchscreens and they seem quite robust.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of these who could recommend one? (or definitely say don't get a particular brand)
    I've actually been quite happy with my Advent (i.e. PC World / Currys own brand) all-in-one - I think it was around £400 a couple of years ago and has lasted fine so far. The fan buzzes when first switched on now, but it seems to run okay and has had pretty heavy use - I have it on most evenings. It does okay being a TV and playing DVDs, too. It has a touch screen but I don't think I've ever had occasion to use it. It's actually quite a versatile machine - it even has input ports for both VGA and HDMI, so I have other machines plugged in to it.

I bought it from Currys - where (unlike PC World) the sales staff were actually really, really helpful. After I'd ordered the PC, the store manager saw that it was out of stock and brought one in on the train with him the next morning, at which I was suitibly impressed.

14. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Lenovo ones are brilliant!

Thank Post
    Mr gee40 is now telling me my antipathy to AIO is nonsense... after all a laptop is an AIO with a lid. He has a point

I'm interested to know whether the Lenovo fans on here have touch screens and/or Win 8.

Thank Post
    I recently got an optiplex 9010 all-in-one without the touch screen interface for our heads PA, as her PC was approaching 5 years old, it is a great and solid bit of kit, even to the point where I am looking at 18 more for replacing all our staff PCs

OptiPlex 9010 All-in-One Desktop | Dell UK

18. Thanks to BKGarry from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Mr gee40 is now telling me my antipathy to AIO is nonsense... after all a laptop is an AIO with a lid. He has a point

I'm interested to know whether the Lenovo fans on here have touch screens and/or Win 8.
    no but am waiting for a Lenovo win 8 touch screen jobby to arrive

20. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    I bought 12 x Lenovo Thinkcentre Edge 91z 7075 this summer. 7 are on the Admin network and 5 on the Curric. They run W7 enterprise and are not touchscreen. They come with wireless keyboard and mouse. All the users in the school love them. 3 sets of the k/b's didn't work out of the box but that was because the supposed 'new' batteries supplied were flat. Once they batteries were replaced they were fine. I have had no problems with them and would definitely recommend.

22. Thanks to SejN from:

Thank Post
    Also the new Lenovo laptop models are reallllly nice. I was setting up some t430u's last week which were loverly!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast