+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Top projectors for classrooms in Technical; Looking at projector upgrades and I had a quick look on the web...there are so many! So here is my ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Top projectors for classrooms

Looking at projector upgrades and I had a quick look on the web...there are so many! So here is my wish list:
    I want to get something that:

1. Is so HD that when standing next to it you cannot see any dots.
    2. Is so bright/clear that you do not need to close the blinds.
    3. Is so cheap that I could get as many as could see us through till the next century.

Most of the new "cheaper" LED HD are not really HD and definitely not suitable for a classroom. I thought I would just ask the question of what folks are using in the classroom that make you say: "Damn that is a fine projector".

A lot of the better offerings seem to be home cinema but that doesn't mean they cannot be used in the classroom. After some research I was looking the Acer HD5360 which is 720p with reasonable price/spec. Anyone used this? Useful to have a top 10 projectors for the classroom based on actual usage and not suppliers recommendations.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hitachi ED-A221-NM. On HDMI they are pretty bloody good.

They do still wash out in sunlight but a lot less than most other projectors as they are UST.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Casio Range - had over 40 of varying models (short throw, A130, A140, M130, M140) all brilliant

Thank Post
    Casio XJ-M130/M140. Great projectors. We've had a load installed. Throw distances are great so they can replace many existing projectors with minimal fuss.

5 year edu warranty. I'd expect them to last longer than that... not had one long enough to find out though!!

Thank Post
    I do agree the Casio XJ-M130/M140 range is by far the best overall cost effective solution.
    We have over 40 of these now bought over last 2 years.
    Very Bright, Very Quiet, No bulbs to replace, no filter cleaning except the occasional wipe off for a dusty top surface.
    In maintenance man hours saved and cost of bulbs saved the extra purchase expense pays for the projector in 2 years in a classroom.
    Plus teachers are happier projectors are better and don't break down.
    I would definitely recommend these. There are brighter bigger ones in the range for main halls too.
    And with the 5yr warranty for education and 20,000 hours life expected you win all round.

Thank Post
    ^ this. The time saved cleaning filters alone is worth the expense!

Thank Post
    Interested why you are going for a video rather than a data projector in a classroom? What’s your reasoning? If it’s based on the fact its HD Ready (720p) a WXGA data projector is also capable of matching this and is more suited to classroom use.

I would also argue that Casio fails on all three of your criteria above. Why? Traditional projectors still over superior brightness and image quality over LED/Laser projectors. No lamps to replace may appear to offer a saving in the long run but when you factor in traditional projector manufacturers have hit back with 10’000hr lamps at lower upfront costs it doesn’t add up.

Agree Casio and other lamp-free projectors still have advantages with lower maintenance. DLP projectors have no filters but still require lamp maintenance unfortunately.

Thank Post
    We never bother with the HD projectors, as they aren't needed unless they regularly hold meetings there. We have HD projectors in the Hall, Conference room, Heads office and in the university style lecture room where they hold film studies. We just use the cheapest Epson with decent brightness and have quick corner. Until they discontinued it it's the EB X-11 with the 3 year lamp warranty.

Thank Post
    Casio XJM models all the way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Casio for reasons stated by Casio fans above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, the top projector for a classroom is a 60" plus LED TV with a wall controller over RS232.

After years of tolerating the woes of projectors, including poor visibility with any ambient light, having the reset after extended power outages, getting knocked out of alignment, or having them burn out early die to teachers failing to turn them off or leaving them in "blank screen" mode - I finally gave all of them due for replacement the flick.

We now have loads of 70" Sharp TVs controlled over RS-232 via wall plates. Great visibility in any lighting, crystal clear even from the back of our largest rooms, no worries about them being left on or getting out of alignment, no globes or filters to replace, a very long life. Everyone is much happier.

Of course, if you absolutely need projectors in your given situation, then it sounds like the Casio units might be a good bet. But, I thought I would run another option up the flagpole.

Thank Post
    We use NEC M230XG and I must say from experience they are very very reliable. We have 2 projectors in each classroom facing opposite ways and they work brilliantly. They are very bright and are not too expensive to purchase. From a maintenance view, yes they have lamps but they have a very long life and so far we have only changed one lamp on a projector that was on 24/7 for nearly a year.

They have built in Ethernet ports and free software that can be installed on a server to turn them on and off according to a schedule, and to pull in maintenance info etc.

I would defiantly recommend these they are fantastic!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DWakely View Post
    We have 2 projectors in each classroom facing opposite ways
    Wow. Can I ask why?

Thank Post
    Cheap n cheerful & nice and bright, we have started buying the Optoma DX325.

I doubt they will last as long as some of the ancient Epson we have dotted around but if we get 4 or 5 years out of them I'll be satisfied.

Thank Post
    We have individual desks for each student so theoretically the student could face in any direction or they can make small groups and work together, its a massive pain for us because each classroom has an Apple TV for iPad mirroring and VGA in and HDMI in. Take a look at BSC at William Edwards School | Blue Sky ClassroomsBlue Sky Classrooms that's one of our classrooms in the video includes fully dry wipe walls, dual projector, wireless iPad presenting and built in audio system.

16. Thanks to DWakely from:

sparkeh (3rd February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast