+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Access point recommendations for laptop trollies in Technical; Hi Peeps, We have some laptop trolleys with access point about 3-4 years old I think even longer (before I ...
    Thank Post

Access point recommendations for laptop trollies

Hi Peeps,

We have some laptop trolleys with access point about 3-4 years old I think even longer (before I started). And there is always an issue of flaky wireless reception sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. With me looking to buy some new laptops and laptop trolleys I wanted to know what you guys would recommend for a wireless AP's on the trolleys. Whatever I do end up purchasing I will also purchase the same AP's for the old trolleys as replacements.

Scenario:
    Each laptop trolley will(proposed new ones)/has(old set) 16 laptops and a printer. When the trolley is in use the network cable is connected to the wall data point to establish a wireless point for that room.

Since theres many users would like something that is reliable so any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by north-ict; 8th November 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Thank Post
    anyone?

Thank Post
    Honestly never even thought about using an access point on a trolley Got site wide wifi so not sure it'd do any benefit.

Do you not have site wide wifi, or is it more ensuring there's a single point for all the machines to run off of?

Steve

Thank Post
    Apart from the laptops nothing else is wireless or in the immediate future requires it that i know of. I mean when it works its fine its just i think those wireless points are old from 4 years ago and newer improved tech is out there hence why i thought i would ask.

Just to clarify no site wide wifi.

Thank Post
    Ubiquiti Unifi then as mentioned above look a good option I have been looking at these myself as the school isn't to yet interested in full Wireless system.

6. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

north-ict (9th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Ubiquiti Unifi then as mentioned above look a good option I have been looking at these myself as the school isn't to yet interested in full Wireless system.
    I have found the UniFi AP's go in to a 'No body loves me' mode if they can't ping the default gateway or management server. So you would have to make sure the network was plugged in before powering up otherwise they don't broadcast.

8. Thanks to robyholmes from:

Thank Post
    I would really recommend installing wifi permanently using a managed system. We used to have netgear home grade access points in our trolleys, but they went wrong more often than they worked. I think the problems we had were part rubbish APs, part rubbish laptop drivers, and part people plugging in the network cable after the power, which probably will stop a lot of access points working.

Going with Ruckus was probably one of the best ict investments my school has made, and has allowed us to make good use of mobile devices. Having said that, most of the popular managed wifi systems will probably do you a good job. Maybe see if you can get a free demo from one of the suppliers on here.

Could you install some APs in areas wherethe laptops are frequently used, then expand at a later date? Rather than going completely site wide? I think each of our access points covers about 3 classrooms, but it would depend on your building.

10. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

Thank Post
    Currently 4 year groups share 2 trolleys between them we are looking to add an additional 2 so that each year group has its own laptop trolley. The year groups are based on 2 floors in an old victorian style school. I am thinking its probably a possibility later down the line to do area wide wifi but apart from the laptops for now theres nothing else that would require it (For now).

It is definitely food for thought in regards to area wide wifi.

I mean apart from area wide wifi any opinions on any decent trolley AP?

Thank Post
    If you like Lapsafe, there are a few added extras you can purchase with the Unocart range and i think that one is the option of turning your trolley into an access point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can run a Ruckus AP without a controller; I know that's what my kids Primary school does with a whole load of netbooks.

We don't have site wide coverage here, so have an Access Point with the laptop trolley that travels round with it and plugged in where we know coverage is lacking. Would love to increase the number of APs on our Ruckus setup but we're at the licensing limit on ours and it's a lot of wonga to pay the license for the next step up.

Pete

14. Thanks to FragglePete from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Honestly never even thought about using an access point on a trolley Got site wide wifi so not sure it'd do any benefit.

Do you not have site wide wifi, or is it more ensuring there's a single point for all the machines to run off of?

Steve
    Tsk Tsk @Steve21, have you forgotten your glory days here pushing the trolley around and plugging in an Access Point!!! :P

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by familiarrealms View Post
    If you like Lapsafe, there are a few added extras you can purchase with the Unocart range and i think that one is the option of turning your trolley into an access point.
    The current 2 trolleys we have are lapsafe ones and have the wifi unit inside but £3000 for a unit roughly I am considering other laptop trolleys.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    You can run a Ruckus AP without a controller; I know that's what my kids Primary school does with a whole load of netbooks.

We don't have site wide coverage here, so have an Access Point with the laptop trolley that travels round with it and plugged in where we know coverage is lacking. Would love to increase the number of APs on our Ruckus setup but we're at the licensing limit on ours and it's a lot of wonga to pay the license for the next step up.

Pete
    Had any issues with the Rukus AP in the trolley coverage etc? Ruckus has been mentioned to me a few times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    Had any issues with the Rukus AP in the trolley coverage etc? Ruckus has been mentioned to me a few times.
    We don't run it inside the trolley; my tech wheels the trolley to the room and plugs the AP in any available network point - coverage not really a problem, except for our 'modular' builds that have so many air con/heating units in that no wifi works in that area at all!

Worth adding at this point, the Latest firmware on the ZoneDirector allows grouping of APs and set different profiles for each group. For us, the AP that roams with a trolley doesn't have the BYOD SSIDs associated with it as I can't guarantee the port he plugs the AP into is setup for BYOD VLAN on the edge switches. Works well.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    The current 2 trolleys we have are lapsafe ones and have the wifi unit inside but £3000 for a unit roughly I am considering other laptop trolleys.
    Did you pay £3000 for a Lapsafe unit? The ones I mentioned are half that...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast