+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Hardware Thread, Redundant PSU Power Usage in Technical; This may sound like a stupid question... (It relates to the purchase of a new UPS) What's the total power ...
  1. #1
    Mr.Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A Pirate Ship
    Posts
    942
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 157 Times in 126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    65

    Redundant PSU Power Usage

    This may sound like a stupid question... (It relates to the purchase of a new UPS)

    What's the total power usage on a server with a redundant psu?

    Say I have a server with 2 PSU's rated at 750 watt

    I assume that each PSU provides 50% of the load until one fails, so 375 watts each?, bringing the total to 750w + 10% (825w), assuming that there is an overhead to having the redundancy?

    Or do they both use 750w?

    Thanks in advance, Ben

  2. #2
    VeryPC_Tom_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    388
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    I've just had a chat with someone with a little more server knowledge than me...

    He agrees with your calculation of 825w, but would probably make sure that the UPS can support around 1000w, just to play on the safe side.

  3. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

    Mr.Ben (7th November 2012)

  4. #3
    Mr.Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A Pirate Ship
    Posts
    942
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 157 Times in 126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    65
    In that case the UPS specced by the previous NM is very underpowered!

    I calculate 7,300w approx load on a UPS that can deliver 3750w......

  5. #4

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,810
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question... (It relates to the purchase of a new UPS)

    What's the total power usage on a server with a redundant psu?

    Say I have a server with 2 PSU's rated at 750 watt

    I assume that each PSU provides 50% of the load until one fails, so 375 watts each?, bringing the total to 750w + 10% (825w), assuming that there is an overhead to having the redundancy?

    Or do they both use 750w?

    Thanks in advance, Ben

    It depends what server it is. Some servers are active active sharing 50% some are purely active-failover. It depends what server you are running.

    APC's UPS calculator is rather good at calculating server loads.

  6. #5

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,174
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    773
    This is a wildly difficult question, those values represent peek draw with full drive bays screaming with 15k drives at full tack, the hottest fastet CPUs and all expantion cards in use pulling down max voltage.

    The actual useage of power is generally much lower. As others have said, the PSU sharing is also dependant on the hardware, most hp gear tends to run at 75%/25% for primary/secondary so that both have an extended lifespan but the likelihood of them both going at the same time is reduced. This is 75%/25% of actual power usage though not the peek power of the CPUs.

  7. #6

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Put a clamp meter over both incomming supplies.

    You will be nowhere near 750W - Most likly one supply will show 300-400w and the other very little.

    Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th October 2012, 08:15 PM
  2. Xeon E3-1220L idle power usage
    By Chillibear in forum Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st January 2012, 08:05 PM
  3. Power usage monitoring software
    By sadams1980 in forum Green Computing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 9th June 2011, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th November 2010, 11:13 AM
  5. EZ_GPO usage and helpfulness query
    By tarquel in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st June 2005, 02:00 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •