+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Little mouse for a little hand? in Technical; I was talking to some of the infant teachers last week about how the kids are getting on with basic ...
    Thank Post

Little mouse for a little hand?

I was talking to some of the infant teachers last week about how the kids are getting on with basic computer skills. They start using the computers here from the age of 3 albeit rather humorously/terrifyingly. However they really struggle using the mouse as its just too big for them. I have already attached velcro to one side to help them with which buttons to click as for some reason they are extremely drawn to right clicking everything, but I am stuck for a solution to this other than simply buying smaller mice for the younger classes.

I just wanted to ask if anybody has or is already using these, if its worth it and if they will help or if it will just affect them when it comes to using an adult sized mouse once they reach 6 ish?

It's hardly a pressing issue but if it will help the kids progress since the majority seem to love using the computers, then it would be really good to hear any opinions on this. Thank you!

Thank Post
    There are lots of mini mice especially "for use" with laptops.

Example: Xenta Mini Laptop Mouse - With Retractable USB Cable | Ebuyer.com

Not suggesting that one as it has retractable cable, but that sort of size. Or is that too small?

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

nyiss (31st October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Our preschoolers used standard mice for a long time before I introduced laptop mice. Given that you can have 2 mice connected to a PC and the large one was cable tied in, the laptop mice were in a box in the IT suite and plugged in by the preschool staff as needed. The right click button had a sticker on it for identification... The stickers got picked off, but are inexpensive to replace.

More expensive is to get trackball mice. They are very easy for little hands to use. We only invested in one which was used by a lad who had problems with fine motor skills.

From reception up they managed fine with full size mice and their own individual logins.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The scales on these things are funny, our ones have the little travel mice and the giant key, keyboards. It's like opposite land

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Yeah that sort of size is perfect! I just noticed one called little mouse with no scroll wheel which might also help. I'm thinking of using them just for nursery and the lower group of foundation. Just seems ridiculous that everything else is scalled to their size except the mice which they use with two hands :/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The scales on these things are funny, our ones have the little travel mice and the giant key, keyboards. It's like opposite land
    :O I had never seen the giant key ones before, only the colour coded ones. I just googled it and now I am certain we need those if not just for my own amusment!

Thank Post
    We use the travel mice for the little ones. I've also just ordered a Logitech 5" touchpad to test. Quite a lot of our kids get on better with the trackpads on a laptop than with a mouse. I'm hoping the bigger size will help where their fine motor skills are still limited.

It also supports multi-touch so it might even work well with Windows 8.…

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread