+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, WD DX4000, Anyone using this piece of hardware? in Technical; Hi all, I'm not completely sure where to post this so I would post it in hardware because it's exactly ...

Thank Post

WD DX4000, Anyone using this piece of hardware?

Hi all,

I'm not completely sure where to post this so I would post it in hardware because it's exactly that.

We have recently invested in a Western Digital DX4000 15TB running Windows Storage Server 2008 R2, because of a naming error we have reset it to factor settings.

To reset to factory settings it has so far taken over a week to rebuild the raid and is now currently on 50% initialising.

The questions I have are;

1. Can you access the 'under lying OS' this box comes with its own front end software which wasn't expected.
    2. Should the factory reset be taking this long?
    3. If your school/company do have one, is it working well?
    4. What are peoples general thoughts/opinions about the box?

The reason I ask is because this box is starting to grind at my last string, so wondering if it's worth waiting another 5 days for it to be ready, or just to send it back?

Cheers

Ryan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just use SANs, does sound like a horrific build time. Could be lots of dupe files etc. that it is trying to reconcile maybe.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    We just use SANs, does sound like a horrific build time. Could be lots of dupe files etc. that it is trying to reconcile maybe.
    Yeah it seems to be taking the best part of my life time to rebuild!!

I've done alittle googling and other users said that the time is lengthy, so this may be correct. I just don't want to spend time on a box that in the long run isn't great.

Also when you build it, it loads software onto your machine, and gives you a horrible interface, as far as I can see there is no way to remote and view the 'propper' Windos Server OS.

Ryan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I like my storage in hardware, WSS is a proven solution that does work well for many people even some on here. I have never tried it myself but it does include a stack of the Windows centric stuff right on the box. Sorry I can't remember the users that I have heard of on here with WSS boxes but I'm sure there were at least two on here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess with it would be that it has software RAID, and as it has a small Atom processor, it will take a long time to do anything like a full reset.

I had a 4TB ReadyNas at my last place, and a full consistency check took half a day to complete...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Personally I like my storage in hardware, WSS is a proven solution that does work well for many people even some on here. I have never tried it myself but it does include a stack of the Windows centric stuff right on the box. Sorry I can't remember the users that I have heard of on here with WSS boxes but I'm sure there were at least two on here.
    Yeah that's why we bought it because we know that WSS normally works quite well, be we like to be able to get into the server and 'flick switches' ourselves, and with this horrible software based handholding frontend it's not what we expected.

SANS are the way to go, it's just money

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My guess with it would be that it has software RAID, and as it has a small Atom processor, it will take a long time to do anything like a full reset.

I had a 4TB ReadyNas at my last place, and a full consistency check took half a day to complete...
    Yeah that's my guess, it's on a Raid 5 15TB. (And because of the annoying setup 'wizard' it automatically chooses which raid you're on)

I am willing to wait, however if people have the box and suggest against it then ill ship it back

Thank Post
    Yes, you can get to the desktop of the WSS using remote desktop. Very easy.
    We have used this box, and it is not a bad box for the price, but there are other ones similar to that. LaCie Office+ is another box with pretty similar features. If you do not like this, you can look into LaCie box.
    Reason for the long rebuild is the software RAID of the box, but more than a week in way too long. Fortunately we never had to go through it, but from what I have heard it will take couple of days. If it taking a week, you should talk to WD.
    The best feature I like from this box and LaCie box is backup and restore that comes with WSS. It is the best in the market.
    By the way, we made this box an iSCSI SAN by just adding an Add-In from intelisan (www.intelisan.com/ldisk.html). It works great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    Yeah that's why we bought it because we know that WSS normally works quite well, be we like to be able to get into the server and 'flick switches' ourselves, and with this horrible software based handholding frontend it's not what we expected.

SANS are the way to go, it's just money

Yeah that's my guess, it's on a Raid 5 15TB. (And because of the annoying setup 'wizard' it automatically chooses which raid you're on)

I am willing to wait, however if people have the box and suggest against it then ill ship it back
    I'd be interested in the cost of the WD vs a typical WSS box ?

We do a lot of WSS boxes (including HA ISCSI SAN with Starwind / Open-E etc) and the costs can be quite competitive, ping me a PM with your budget and I'll see if I can do something WSS based.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Is it only 4 drives?

Imagine how long it will take to rebuild if you lose a drive at any point.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread