+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Anyone using these (or similar)? in Technical; Been looking to do some server consolidation over the last few days and came across these and was wondering if ...
    Thank Post

Question Anyone using these (or similar)?

Been looking to do some server consolidation over the last few days and came across these and was wondering if anyone here uses them or similar?

PowerEdge C6100 Rack Server Details | Dell

Muchos Gracias!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    Been looking to do some server consolidation over the last few days and came across these and was wondering if anyone here uses them or similar?

Muchos Gracias!
    Hi Sister_Annex

The form factor has been out for a while and is generally the best value out there for CPU density /, there are also solutions from Supermicro and Intel solutions some of which are AMD and have 2.5" disks .

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - 2U Twin^2 Solutions
    Intel's S2600JF Server Board - Intel's H2000 Server System - YouTube

Our typical customers using this platform are ;
    3D Rendering/Animation - A cool company that uses the Supermicro is Axis Animation - Axis Animation - These guys do some pretty awesome computergame trailers
    VM Servers - This company use an AMD version for their Virtual server compute product GreenQloud - Truly Green Cloud Hosting & Online Storage
    HPC - Used for number crunching

The platform is great in terms of ;
    Low cost High Density ie Blade without the price tag;
    Is modular and hotswap

The platform lacks
    Storage capacity 3 x 3.5" SATA/SAS per Server Node - (there are 2.5" Disk versions that have 6 x Disk/Server)
    RAID controller is limited to what is onboard - So will either be Intel/AMD SATA or embedded SAS controller

Things to watch out for
    It will use more power than you think on load a fully populated unit will draw circa 1400W (As is 4 Servers in 2U = 8 Xeon or Opteron)

How many and what types of Server are you looking to consolidate?
    What hypervisor are you are looking at using ?

Cheers

Andy

3. Thanks to VeryPC from:

sister_annex (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Saw the intel ones in the flesh last week. Have to say they looked pretty cool. Essentially a similar spec to the DL360 just in a much smaller space. Ideal if you need high CPU/Ram requirements and just use SANS for storage. and just boot Sata Doms or SD cards.

Intel have also just released a new 24 2.5" storage device which is supposed to run Open-E well (its being sent to Open-E to be certified).

Although for a large SAN a 4U 72 2.5" bay SuperMicro Chassis could be awesome running Open-E

5. Thanks to glennda from:

sister_annex (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Andy @VeryPC,

They would be used for Hyper-V Server consolidation. I suppose a little heads up, we currently have 8 Hyper-V hosts most with direct storage, we have a SAN that has two massive servers on it.

We are looking to replace our Dell PE 1900s (which are about 5 years old). We will more than likely be dropping three (maybe 4) servers (<1Tb HDD & 16Gb RAM in each machine) into this one chassis (if possible). We were thinking of clustering the 4 together for HA (again if possible i know SAN usage is required for this).

We may be barking up the wrong tree in terms of what we think we could do with this but it's better to find out now than after spending a (small) fortune

Thanks again

Mark

Thank Post
    Yes they shouldn't have a problem replacing these. Personally I would just keep the OS on the local machines and then use the SAN storage for the VM's. One thing to note is you have 4 servers running of 2 PSUs (although very powerful). You need to ensure you have UPS redundancy otherwise you will kill everything.

If you are looking for low cost SAN solutions which provide Active-Active Configurations Open-E is very easy to use and setup. an Active-Active cluster can be setup in around 25 mins with no single point of failure and MPIO on the san enviroment (requires two servers, lots of nics with Open-E installed and a couple of switches)

8. Thanks to glennda from:

sister_annex (24th October 2012)

Thank Post

Muchos Gracias!
    We have fired some of them out, also also if you are looking at consolidating storage you could look at Dell EqualLogic PS-M4110 Blade Array | Dell

10. Thanks to ICTLTD from:

sister_annex (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLTD View Post
    We have fired some of them out, also also if you are looking at consolidating storage you could look at Dell EqualLogic PS-M4110 Blade Array | Dell
    I do have the say the Equallogic units are brilliant. Although i only say this due to the intergration with VMware (host intergration tools it does it all for you from creating luns on san to joining them to all your hosts.) Although for use with Hyper-V there are more cost effective options IMHO.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

ICTLTD (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Although for use with Hyper-V there are more cost effective options IMHO.
    Very True, to be honest equalogic rarely is an option for most schools so they tend to have a mixture of PowerEdge RXXX Servers and MDXXXX Storage as a more cost effective solution.

Thank Post
    I do have the say the Equallogic units are brilliant. Although i only say this due to the intergration with VMware (host intergration tools it does it all for you from creating luns on san to joining them to all your hosts.) Although for use with Hyper-V there are more cost effective options IMHO.
    I'm sure if money was no object we would quite happily go for these

15. Thanks to sister_annex from:

ICTLTD (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm sure if money was no object we would quite happily go for these
    Well IMHO the San hardware is good and nice and shiney. But the main selling feature for us is the VMware intergration which they don't have with Hyper-V I don't think.

You could probably setup two sans with Active-Active failover and MPIO on supermicro or intel kit (via either custom build/VeryPC/Broadberry etc) for the same cost of an Equallogic - for HA reasons I know which i would prefer!

Thank Post
    Well IMHO the San hardware is good and nice and shiney. But the main selling feature for us is the VMware intergration which they don't have with Hyper-V I don't think.

You could probably setup two sans with Active-Active failover and MPIO on supermicro or intel kit (via either custom build/VeryPC/Broadberry etc) for the same cost of an Equallogic - for HA reasons I know which i would prefer!
    You could with Dell standard kit also. But for high end consolidation into minimum spaces no other kit comes near to Equalllogic IMHO. Equallogic is expensive but some may have the money and the need.
    I know of one school that needs to run the entire school (over 1000 client 2000 user 80TB+ Storage requirement) network including power failover and swtches in one rack due to space. So although there may be cheaper options they may not always be practical or offer sufficient support.

If money is no object Ecuallogic is great, but for nearly every school money is an object.
    Last edited by ICTLTD; 24th October 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Sent a PM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Ed View Post
    Sent a PM
    I'll give you a call shortly (got a chap drilling through the office wall at the moment

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread