+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Hardware Thread, Post about building Google like servers for their school? in Technical; I am looking for someones post about building there own Google/facebook like servers for their school?...
  1. #1
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,506
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    52

    Post about building Google like servers for their school?

    I am looking for someones post about building there own Google/facebook like servers for their school?

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,649
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 780 Times in 607 Posts
    Rep Power
    224
    I think it was @CyberNerd or maybe @plexer. Unless you're talking about Ikea shenanigans, then it's @dhicks all the way.

  3. #3

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,224
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    780
    I think is was about Terminal services stuff, just a stack of rubbish motherboards, RAM and SSDs chucked in a cupboard or screwed down with those metal motherboard elevators to some metal sheets. With EES and enough of them with the appropriate lowered expectations this would probably be much more attractive now.

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,047
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    Rep Power
    793
    If you want to build a Facebook-style server, all of the details are on the OpenCompute website...

    opencompute.org/specs/

  5. #5

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,224
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you want to build a Facebook-style server, all of the details are on the OpenCompute website...

    opencompute.org/specs/
    Aha, knew it was something like that but thought I got stuck at Open Data Center Alliance - Home

  6. #6

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think is was about Terminal services stuff, just a stack of rubbish motherboards, RAM and SSDs chucked in a cupboard or screwed down with those metal motherboard elevators to some metal sheets. With EES and enough of them with the appropriate lowered expectations this would probably be much more attractive now.
    Yup Super Micro also do a miniblade chassis so you can run multiple custom built servers in the same chassis.

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think is was about Terminal services stuff, just a stack of rubbish motherboards, RAM and SSDs chucked in a cupboard or screwed down with those metal motherboard elevators to some metal sheets.
    That was pretty much it.
    We've done an upgrade this year.
    Now we have 10 servers with quad Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz and 32GB RAM and intel SSD's.
    Each one easily takes 30-40 connections and the whole citrix 'farm' costs less than £5000 (excluding licenses).
    btw, it's in an air conditioned cupboard in an ex-compaq rack.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 23rd October 2012 at 12:14 PM.

  8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    SYNACK (23rd October 2012)

  9. #8

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,257
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Unless you're talking about Ikea shenanigans, then it's @dhicks all the way.
    I remember discussing a computer-in-a-coffee-table, but I don't think I remember anything about physical Google-style servers (although I vaugly remember a couple of posts about setting up our own Amazon-style cloud). I seem to remember something a while ago about Lego-based server racks - in fact, I think there was a story on the Raspberry Pi front page the other week about a whole supercomputer built from Lego and Raspberry Pis...

  10. #9

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    I believe it was about the Lack Rack LackRack - Eth0Wiki and then we progressed into making smart tables LackRack: Ikea server racks for living room datacenters

  11. 2 Thanks to glennda:

    dhicks (23rd October 2012)

  12. #10

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,155
    Thank Post
    598
    Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That was pretty much it.
    We've done an upgrade this year.
    Now we have 10 servers with quad Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz and 32GB RAM and intel SSD's.
    Each one easily takes 30-40 connections and the whole citrix 'farm' costs less than £5000 (excluding licenses).
    btw, it's in an air conditioned cupboard in an ex-compaq rack.
    If you're willing to share, could I have a copy of your documentation [for the setup], please?

  13. #11
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,207
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Was it this one - Cheapskate Server Farm

    I've also done something very simlar as well using this idea as the base - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT

  14. #12

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,257
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think is was about Terminal services stuff, just a stack of rubbish motherboards, RAM and SSDs chucked in a cupboard or screwed down with those metal motherboard elevators to some metal sheets.
    There was someone who had built something similar, but using long threaded rods with some spacers to hold the motherboards. I can't find anything on Google or Edugeek's search at the moment, though.

  15. #13

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,155
    Thank Post
    598
    Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    There was someone who had built something similar, but using long threaded rods with some spacers to hold the motherboards. I can't find anything on Google or Edugeek's search at the moment, though.
    That sounds like an example of a Beowulf cluster I saw a while back...

  16. Thanks to X-13 from:

    dhicks (23rd October 2012)

  17. #14

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Combine the two and make a LackRack Cheapskate server farm!

  18. #15


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Was it this one - Cheapskate Server Farm

    I've also done something very simlar as well using this idea as the base - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT
    Thats the one. The old servers before we put in the new i7's


    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you're willing to share, could I have a copy of your documentation [for the setup], please?
    Theres not much to tell really.

    We are now mounting the boards on Lian-Li PC60 ATX motherboard Trays from KustomPC's.
    The PSU's are bog standard, but reasonabbly good ones.
    The SSD's are Intel 330 series 60GB
    The Motherboards are Intel DX79TO
    The RAM is 8* Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333
    The processors are Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    The ATX trays are secured onto rackmount trays
    The power buttons and HDD strays are from old Lenovo cases.
    rackmount trays go into an old compaq chassis.
    Images are made from FOG
    sysprep, install software remotely, add to farm

    We can build them in about an hour if we do three at a time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using vSphere for their servers in a school?
    By Awx in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 22nd November 2012, 09:22 AM
  2. Has anyone invested in an iPhone and android app for their school?
    By Disease in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th September 2012, 03:30 PM
  3. Is anybody using Google apps for their students
    By reggiep in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th May 2011, 04:10 PM
  4. Some people don't like looking at their Macs!
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st December 2005, 08:58 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •