+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
Hardware Thread, Post about building Google like servers for their school? in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd We can build them in about an hour if we do three at a time. Phew ...
  1. #16
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,194
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We can build them in about an hour if we do three at a time.
    Phew fast going - took me half a day to figure out how to make the first one of my design reduced that to 2 hours (pair of mobos in one 2U case) on the second time round.
    Can't wait to build some more using the new AMD A10s!

  2. #17

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Phew fast going - took me half a day to figure out how to make the first one of my design reduced that to 2 hours (pair of mobos in one 2U case) on the second time round.
    Can't wait to build some more using the new AMD A10s!
    Which Chassis did you use?

  3. #18
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,194
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Which Chassis did you use?
    One of these - Rackmount 2u hotswap case online at X-Case
    Full spec is here - Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm – Farm Architecture + Hardware Specs | my world of IT

  4. #19

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Not bad price! I've been looking at the new Intel and SuperMicro Chassis which support are a bit like blades although they only share power for a upcoming VDI project I have where rackspace is a premium. Normally I would just stick with the HP DL360's.

  5. #20
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,194
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Not bad price! I've been looking at the new Intel and SuperMicro Chassis which support are a bit like blades although they only share power for a upcoming VDI project I have where rackspace is a premium. Normally I would just stick with the HP DL360's.
    Yep nice company as well.

    Why not just go with a 1U server with 2x CPUs and PCI-E for SSD

  6. #21

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Yep nice company as well.

    Why not just go with a 1U server with 2x CPUs and PCI-E for SSD
    SD card for 3 x ESXI hosts (at current spec Gen8 360's) and and SAN - currently Equallogic

  7. #22

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,029
    Thank Post
    1,100
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 589 Posts
    Rep Power
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Not bad price! I've been looking at the new Intel and SuperMicro Chassis which support are a bit like blades although they only share power for a upcoming VDI project I have where rackspace is a premium. Normally I would just stick with the HP DL360's.
    Are these the 2U Dual socket 4-Node Server platforms?

    Super Micro Computer, Inc. - 2U Twin^2 Solutions
    Intel's S2600JF Server Board - Intel's H2000 Server System - YouTube

    The Supermicro also do AMD version of the platform meaning you can get 32-Cores per server node with 8-Dimms slots/CPU

    What SSD's are you using in the DL360's?

    I'll PM you my details if you want to talk Supermicro at a later date .

    Cheers

    Andy

  8. #23

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    Are these the 2U Dual socket 4-Node Server platforms?

    Super Micro Computer, Inc. - 2U Twin^2 Solutions
    Intel's S2600JF Server Board - Intel's H2000 Server System - YouTube

    The Supermicro also do AMD version of the platform meaning you can get 32-Cores per server node with 8-Dimms slots/CPU

    What SSD's are you using in the DL360's?

    I'll PM you my details if you want to talk Supermicro at a later date .

    Cheers

    Andy
    They would be the ones - seen the intel onces at the Open-E Training last week (I believe your a partner too?). See other post

    And not using SSD's using SD cards (4/8gb) for ESXI install thats all then sans for data storage.
    Last edited by glennda; 23rd October 2012 at 10:50 PM.

  9. #24

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,029
    Thank Post
    1,100
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 589 Posts
    Rep Power
    326
    Indeed we are but TBH a large proportion of our servers go out to hosting industry and end up with Openfiler, Openstack or some flavor of linux on.

    From memory I don't think the Supermicro have the SD card - Did the Intel 4 Way have SD on board or backplane at the open-E day ?

    I sent you a PM but only just read your sig, so hadn't done my Phorium homework. Happy to talk off forum or drop me an email or PM later . Time for Bed..

    Andy

  10. #25

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    Indeed we are but TBH a large proportion of our servers go out to hosting industry and end up with Openfiler, Openstack or some flavor of linux on.

    From memory I don't think the Supermicro have the SD card - Did the Intel 4 Way have SD on board or backplane at the open-E day ?

    I sent you a PM but only just read your sig, so hadn't done my Phorium homework. Happy to talk off forum or drop me an email or PM later . Time for Bed..

    Andy
    No problem at all. No the DL360's have the built in SD card for SuperMicros/Intel it would look towards sata doms so something like this
    xitradesatadomb.jpg

  11. Thanks to glennda from:

    VeryPC (23rd October 2012)

  12. #26

    VeryPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,029
    Thank Post
    1,100
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 589 Posts
    Rep Power
    326
    Very Awesome .... Can you PM me Disti or Vendor details .

    Andy

  13. #27

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    Very Awesome .... Can you PM me Disti or Vendor details .

    Andy
    I'm trying to locate them in the UK - at present I can only see them online in the US. I just googled Sata Dom to get that picture!

  14. #28

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,060
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I'm trying to locate them in the UK - at present I can only see them online in the US. I just googled Sata Dom to get that picture!
    Something like this?


    It's not as fancy looking... but it appears to be similar.

  15. #29

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,802
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Something like this?


    It's not as fancy looking... but it appears to be similar.
    Looks the same its just in a case. I'm trying to locate a channel partner with it!

  16. #30


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    IBM Bladeservers have a standard internal USB slot for virtual images. I think ESX hypervisor images are circa 150 or something equally stupid direct from IBM. Alternatively a 5 usb stick and a free download works pretty well for a hypervisor!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using vSphere for their servers in a school?
    By Awx in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 22nd November 2012, 09:22 AM
  2. Has anyone invested in an iPhone and android app for their school?
    By Disease in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th September 2012, 03:30 PM
  3. Is anybody using Google apps for their students
    By reggiep in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th May 2011, 04:10 PM
  4. Some people don't like looking at their Macs!
    By Ric_ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st December 2005, 08:58 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •