+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Any good alternatives to iPads for school in Technical; Hi all, We have been using around 15 iPads, booked out to classes since April with great success, now SMTs ...

Thank Post

Any good alternatives to iPads for school

Hi all,

We have been using around 15 iPads, booked out to classes since April with great success, now SMTs are looking for a cheaper alternative to iPads that would say run flash based apps like Mymaths and Frog as well...anybody have experience in other say android based tablets under 200? I do like iPads and they have worked flawlessly so want to get some good experiences for alternative tablet...we have school wide UniFi at present.

Thanks as always

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @MrWu:

I am waiting for the influx of windows 8 pads to hit the market as I see this both as a personal device and a network device without having to run all sorts of tools to fasten them down.

Its not that I dislike IPads as we have some here and yes they work excellently except for the conditions which you mention and of course the restrictions that come with them.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question fully as I feel most tablets at the moment don't measure up to everyone's expectations.

These are my thoughts but anyone else may have different opinions

3. Thanks to bossman from:

MrWu (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Laptops & Tablet PCs - Buy Laptop Computers and Tablet PC devices from Kogan

I've used the10" versions of the kogans and theh are pretty alright tablets, but the ones we got were Android 3.2 and couldn't connect to a proxy server. Don't know if the new ICS versions have fixed that.

That said, rumor has it Apple are releasing a 7" version i the next day or two. That and the skyfire browser could be interesting (FAQs - Skyfire Browser for iPad), although still no flash app support.

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

MrWu (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Bossman,

I also googled some news about Adobe moving away from Flash development for mobile dvices...

Adobe: No Jelly Bean Flash, Flash Player pulled altogether August 15 - SlashGear

So the advantage of using Android Tablets have eroded somewhat, with Adobe moving towards HTML 5 for mobiles and Surface Tablet RT being at least 399...I think netbooks and laptops become the better proposition for Edu, since lord knows when Frog or MyMaths etc will move to HTML 5!

7. Thanks to MrWu from:

bossman (20th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    You can still install Flash Player easily on Android tablets despite it not being officially supported by Adobe (even the latest ones running Jelly Bean). I have done this myself on a Nexus 7 and it works fine. Here's the link to the APK should you need it...

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1856912

Quote Originally Posted by MrWu View Post
    lord knows when Frog or MyMaths etc will move to HTML 5!
    2022 perhaps.
    Last edited by Arthur; 18th October 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added link

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

MrWu (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    My Jungle drum tells me the new Dell Windows 8 Tablet is out any day now. Has a good feature (like latitude ST) that it has a customer replaceable battery like a laptop, no more over the top repair costs for a duff battery in a tablet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Lets' hope its not as rubbish as the Latutude ST. I have one sitting on my desk and it is so underpowered it's a joke.

To the OP: I doubt any of us are going to find a tablet cheaper than the iPad any time soon that is worth buying. As much as I like to bash Apple, I think the iPad 2 is pretty good value.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Lets' hope its not as rubbish as the Latutude ST. I have one sitting on my desk and it is so underpowered it's a joke.

To the OP: I doubt any of us are going to find a tablet cheaper than the iPad any time soon that is worth buying. As much as I like to bash Apple, I think the iPad 2 is pretty good value.
    I think the main problem with the ST was the OS more than the power. Windows in its current guises is to power hungry for tablets so hopefully with a few upgrades and windows 8 it should run a lot better.
    I personally don't like the iPads (maybe because of the Margin apple makes on them), give me a samsung or a motarolla Xoom running android any day, maybe I am a cheapskate though.
    But I can see Windows 8 having massive plus points for education in terms of integration and control with current backbone etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In terms of iPad alternatives the highest demand we see is for Samsung Galaxy Tablets.

If you'd like to know more drop me a PM, i'll put you in touch directly with some previous happy shoppers.

Joe

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLTD View Post
    I personally don't like the iPads (maybe because of the margin Apple makes on them), give me a Samsung or a Motorola Xoom running Android any day
    You do realise Samsung makes a huge amount of profit on their tablets too?

Thank Post
    we currently use ipads in all of our schools but holding off buying anymore until we get a play around with the slate RT and pro models Surface with Windows RT includes Microsoft Skydrive

as you can deploy GPO on them and put them on a managed network which will be able to use them with active directory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craigt View Post
    we currently use ipads in all of our schools but holding off buying anymore until we get a play around with the slate RT and pro models Surface with Windows RT includes Microsoft Skydrive

as you can deploy GPO on them and put them on a managed network which will be able to use them with active directory.
    Erm, not fully, the RT versions have no active directory support, you'll have to use System Centre or Intune to manage them - Microsoft: This is how Windows RT, Windows Phone 8 devices will be managed | ZDNet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You do realise Samsung makes a huge amount of profit on their tablets too?
    How much of that goes back to Samsung compared to apple after resellers and distributors have had a cut? I was on about retained margin eg what the manufacturer makes not the margin of manufacturer price VS MRRP.
    Apple have a semi direct business model, samsung are through distribution/reseller only in the UK.

The point really cause an Ipad vs etc. debate I mainly prefer android as it seems to be a more price competative, that is my personal view.

Thank Post
    Ive got an Apad bought from Ebay for 123.00 you can get the same device for 93.00 without inbuilt GPS .. It runs Android 4.01 .. My first impressions were .. very solidly built .... 2 usb ports and a network port are very useful for plugging in a mouse and keyboard and if you wish your network ..... The speed is OK and I'm getting used to the touch screen. It runs flash stuff ok and the internet seems to be able to run everything Ive seen so far. The apps library is huge and Ive downloaded a couple of them. Ones a chart plotter for my boat and the others a navigation app for the car .... So ..... compared to an Ipad the difference I see is that the screen is not HD The APad has a HD HDMI output socket) but perfectly OK for everyday use ... may a little slower in boot up times. I'm sure there are other differences but having had the device for 3 weeks now I'm still learning ...

Thank Post
    What are your thoughts on the Google Chromebooks? They are now 229 to retail and can be leased. You get full flash and a real keyboard.

I have one of the earlier generation chromebooks and can see how they would really suite education. There are some shortcomings, but not as many as using iPads etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast