+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Hardware Thread, Building a new SSD based file server in Technical; Originally Posted by zag I've been using a Non-Trim SSD on our Sims server for nearly 3 years now. No ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've been using a Non-Trim SSD on our Sims server for nearly 3 years now. No slowdown yet.

Attachment 15603
    4TB data written is absolutely tiny. So, that is a *very* low write system in my view.

Thank Post
    This is totally off topic.
    I work for a private company not a school (boo!), I want to go about things the right way on here.
    I do not want to be a spammer and will enjoy the tech debates (like this) but would like to know who I would need to contact to look at sponsorship of the site. I had emailed web admin a couple of times but I presume that is spammed to hell anyway. I would be a liar if if I said some of the opportunities on here were not of interest, but also having been dealing in education for over 15 years I want to go about things the right way.
    So unfortunately that will still mean you get my bad opinions on hardware matters.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Excellent point. I'm thinking of RAID from the point of view of building large logical volumes as much as failure. For our high IOP loads I really need a replicated system - but that too would be subject to the same write lifetime.
    This would be a case of setting up system monitoring of SMART data, giving an alert when the "usable life" attribute drops below a certain level (I'd go for 25% just to be safe, maybe higher).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,814 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Performance degrades severely without TRIM.
    Some SSDs (Kingston SSDNow E100 for example) do not support TRIM at all and rely on having aggressive GC routines, so it really depends on the SSD.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

Willott (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLTD View Post
    This is totally off topic.
    I work for a private company not a school (boo!), I want to go about things the right way on here.
    I do not want to be a spammer and will enjoy the tech debates (like this) but would like to know who I would need to contact to look at sponsorship of the site. I had emailed web admin a couple of times but I presume that is spammed to hell anyway. I would be a liar if if I said some of the opportunities on here were not of interest, but also having been dealing in education for over 15 years I want to go about things the right way.
    So unfortunately that will still mean you get my bad opinions on hardware matters.
    Off topic, ban him, ban him

I'd try PMing @Dos_Box as a starting point... if he doesn't know, he'll know a man who does

7. Thanks to Willott from:

ICTLTD (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Off topic, ban him, ban him

I'd try PMing @Dos_Box as a starting point... if he doesn't know, he'll know a man who does
    Cheers.

But on SMART I would go for Below 50%, from experience they start running like a dog at that level.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Yep, but when do we then break from - oh, we may as well just use SAS because that's what's always been used in this situation... as more people start to use SSDs and as SSD technology progresses (to be honest, I think we're at tipping point now), the price of SSDs will come down, and the other benefits of SSDs will start to be more apparent (power savings add up over time, less noise and vibration, less heat released so less cooling required).
    I think on the desktop the break is now. The OS drive on a server, the break is probably now. For the rest... Well I'd personally like to see a couple of more things happen first:

1) RAID support
    2) Longer Warrantys
    3) A couple of decent reviews that say "this drive won't die after x number of writes)
    4) Prices to drop a little more.

To be honest, we're almost there. I can't see magnetic disks still being popular in 5 years or even available in 10 years. I just don't buy the argument that these drives are so uber reliable that you don't need RAID, besides that's whats back ups are for. No, I like my RAID security blanket, thank you.

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    4TB data written is absolutely tiny. So, that is a *very* low write system in my view.
    Exactly my point.

Both SQL and file servers dont read/write much data at all.

Our Sims server is used everyday for registration in a school for 1000 pupils. The actual DB size is over 2gb now. I doubt if it goes over 100mb of data actually written a day. Our file server is less than 2gb from my 24hr test since yesterday.
    Last edited by zag; 17th October 2012 at 11:26 AM.

12. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    1) RAID support - See @Arthur's point above
    2) Longer Warrantys - most decent ones tend to have 3-5yr warranties (same as HDDs)
    3) A couple of decent reviews that say "this drive won't die after x number of writes) - trying to find some reviews currently... manufacturers are being more forward about this now.
    4) Prices to drop a little more. - prices are dropping all the time (see ebuyer's £30 60GB SSD last week, and someone reported a 120GB cheap as well), Intel 520 is around the 50p/GB mark as well

RAID, either stick some SSDs in RAID (see point 1) or use some network technology to "RAID" over network.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all the advice on this thread I have decided to go ahead with this. Current plan is:

2 x Dell PowerEdge R320 with 600GB Intel 320 SSDs. Running Hyper-V + DFS
    1 x Dell PowerEdge R320 with 300GB OS Drive + 600GB Intel 320 SSD. Running Hyper-V + Backupexec 2010 + Veeam
    1 x Netgear GS724T gigabit switch

Hopefully that gives me complete redundancy for our entire file system and 600GB to play with. Our current file server is around 220GB so this should give us loads of extra space for the future.
    We currently also have a Video and Audio server. I will keep this hard disk based for now.

And here is the first pic of the change over. Bye bye seagate "enterprise" constellation. I won't miss your random failures!!

IMAG0047.jpg

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is the most fun I've had in years setting up a server.

Just copied a 4GB .iso file from one server to the other. Took 15 seconds!! 150mb/s transfer.

Wow!

Thank Post
    < / f a c e p a l m >

17. Thanks to Ric_ from:

SimonD (19th October 2012)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got the parts for actual file server today and built the VM. Oh my word I'm in speed heaven!!

117 MB/second!! Our current file server has never been above 20 Can't wait to see how long our normal 13hr backup takes at this weekend.

speeed.png

Does anyone know how to get the aero interface on Windows 2008 R2? I've installed the desktop experience but can only really set backgrounds so far.
    Last edited by zag; 23rd October 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got the parts for actual file server today and built the VM. Oh my word I'm in speed heaven!!

117 MB/second!! Our current file server has never been above 20 Can't wait to see how long our normal 13hr backup takes at this weekend.

speeed.png

Does anyone know how to get the aero interface on Windows 2008 R2? I've installed the desktop experience but can only really set backgrounds so far.
    thats all you do, i should imagine the server doesn't have a good enough graphics card to do it.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know how to get the aero interface on Windows 2008 R2?
    Simple answer for any server that isn't a terminalserver (tbh i haven't even bothered on that front myself): You don't.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456