+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
Hardware Thread, Require new PCs in Technical; Edit: just looked at Stone's website, no prices. I'm always suspicious of companies who can't/won't put their prices on their ...
  1. #31

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Edit: just looked at Stone's website, no prices. I'm always suspicious of companies who can't/won't put their prices on their website.
    Prices change too often and there are so many options in terms of custom build. How would a company EVER be able to list all the options you can have, and give you an accurate price?

    You ask for price. You get. It's that easy. ;-)

  2. #32
    north-ict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    726
    Thank Post
    207
    Thanked 147 Times in 111 Posts
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Thanks very much guys. Your input has given me ideas and some avenues to explore.

    I have given both RM and Stone a phone call so now I'm waiting on their quotes. I didn't realise they can custom make some of the components so I will get back on their case after I've gotten their quotes.

    With all that being said, I will try Novatech but I am reluctant to try HP as they try their damn hardest not to honour their warranty support.
    Just a helpful idea if its hard for you to decide I know stone if you spoke to them would send you out an evaluation machine to test, Rm would probably do the same aswell as others. It is nice to actually have a evaluation machine in front of you to see if it builds correctly etc makes decision making that much easier especially if your going to buy a large quantity. I am in the process of getting an evaluation machine from stone.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    You can't custom make components. You can only custom a build through asking for components. e.g I want a low voltage I3 2120, gigabyte H61M-S2PV, WD RD HDD, Kingston RAM. All manufactures that say they build custom can do this, unlike HP who use only seagate HDD's for example.

  4. #34

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,762
    Thank Post
    145
    Thanked 560 Times in 504 Posts
    Rep Power
    152
    Here - most machines come from ICT Direct. Upgraded to three year warranty, we've bought HP DC7700, DC7800, DC7900 and Lenovo M58P machines from them, always been great service. Older tech, but with lots of DDR3 in the Lenovos and an SSD, they're plenty quick enough; for a shade over £200.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    Just a helpful idea if its hard for you to decide I know stone if you spoke to them would send you out an evaluation machine to test, Rm would probably do the same aswell as others. It is nice to actually have a evaluation machine in front of you to see if it builds correctly etc makes decision making that much easier especially if your going to buy a large quantity. I am in the process of getting an evaluation machine from stone.
    @VeryPC will do you a trial unit too i expect

  6. #36

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,665
    Thank Post
    850
    Thanked 893 Times in 738 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Prices change too often and there are so many options in terms of custom build. How would a company EVER be able to list all the options you can have, and give you an accurate price?
    I dunno, other companies (Dell, Apple, etc) manage it. And then tell you discounts are available for edu. I don't like the idea of companies hiding behind that excuse and requiring me to talk to a sales numpty every time I need a guide price (even then being wrong because he's waiting to see what the competition offers so he can under cut). Sure the final price might be lower, but at least have a website that lets me see what's on offer and some ball park prices. How else am I supposed to know if I want an i7 or an i5, or possibility of affording an SSD, etc.

    The problem with their model is they force you to talk to a sales numpty, who'll take all your details and continue to arras you for the next three years despite the fact you've decided not to buy anything.

    To be fair, never dealt with Stone, and their customer service may very well be better than that. But to the website isn't sending out the right messages.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sittingbourne
    Posts
    256
    Thank Post
    117
    Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    We bought some custom build zoostorm machines from idns - good price- good customer service, 3 or 5 yr warrantys

    no probs at all.

    pm me if you want the account manager number---- he is a nice northern lad--lol

  8. #38


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We are have dumped stone and gone with Dell due to the following.

    • The Pro Support offered by Dell is excellent
    • The Design, everything is small, fits on the stand, lots of monitor choices etc
    • People will be on site the next day for repairs
    • If you get a continuing hardware issue they will replace with brand new
    • You can get exact parts with repairs, for example the motherboard will be the same on a repair 4 years after the order
    • The computers they offer are available for a long period of time, for example we ordered hundreds of Optiplex 790 over a few years and nothing had changed in them. Others change the motherboards etc
    • The ability to manage the BIOS using SCCM
    • Update BIOS via SCCM if need be.
    • All the old kit matches the newer stuff, they donít change the design often. so the majority of our kit is identical but different models. For example the Optiplex 780, 790 & 7010 are all identical looks wise.
    • The matching monitor, keyboard & mouse.
    • All machine as standard support dual output display
    • The PC and monitor requires 1 power cable
    • The stand really tidies cables up.
    • Full support with imaging, include all WinPE drivers
    This ^

    We also dumped Stone as, although their support is a little better than Dell, IME Dell kit lasts longer. We have Dell kit which is 10 years old and still working. Any Stones over 4-5 years old develop lots of niggly faults. Dell driver and management is infinitely better than Stone.

    Thinking about it I know I said Stone support is good we did have a batch of 100 Stones which wouldn't always recognise the keyboard. Stones answer; for me to update every BIOS myself, which didn't actually fix the problem. That alone put me off them.

  9. #39

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Thinking about it I know I said Stone support is good we did have a batch of 100 Stones which wouldn't always recognise the keyboard. Stones answer; for me to update every BIOS myself, which didn't actually fix the problem. That alone put me off them.
    Thats more likely the components chosen rather then stone themselves being at fault. I always specified everything including mobo etc so that its not going to end up with a gigbyte one for example!

  10. #40


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Thats more likely the components chosen rather then stone themselves being at fault. I always specified everything including mobo etc so that its not going to end up with a gigbyte one for example!
    But that is Stones fault. They should choose better components, Dell do. When I go out to tender I specify a minimum spec and that's it. It's not up to me to choose the exact model of mobo, HD, RAM, etc. AFAIK if I did do that for Stone then I would be breaking purchasing rules as my spec would not be "like for like" between the 3+ bidders.

    Forgot to mention, Dell are actually cheaper than Stone most of the time when using a premier account.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 12th October 2012 at 02:36 PM.

  11. #41

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,139
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 622 Times in 568 Posts
    Rep Power
    181

    Require new PCs

    To be fair the Stone sales people aren't' numb ties, they know what they are on about. Plus I do not think I have ever had a call from them out of the blue that I didn't want. So that isn't really a true reflection of them I don't think.

  12. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

    Chris_ (14th October 2012)

  13. #42
    Chris_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    676
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I dunno, other companies (Dell, Apple, etc) manage it. And then tell you discounts are available for edu. I don't like the idea of companies hiding behind that excuse and requiring me to talk to a sales numpty every time I need a guide price (even then being wrong because he's waiting to see what the competition offers so he can under cut). Sure the final price might be lower, but at least have a website that lets me see what's on offer and some ball park prices. How else am I supposed to know if I want an i7 or an i5, or possibility of affording an SSD, etc.

    The problem with their model is they force you to talk to a sales numpty, who'll take all your details and continue to arras you for the next three years despite the fact you've decided not to buy anything.

    To be fair, never dealt with Stone, and their customer service may very well be better than that. But to the website isn't sending out the right messages.
    Stone have various price lists available which are good for a rough guide then you can phone up and say you'd like so many certain PCs with extra memory, no DVD drives etc.. their prices always seem very competitive first time round for me and they're always very quick if you ask them to make amendments to quotes (i.e. larger screens, faster HDD's).

    And as @Edu-IT says, I've never had a phone call from Stone

  14. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    This ^

    We also dumped Stone as, although their support is a little better than Dell, IME Dell kit lasts longer. We have Dell kit which is 10 years old and still working. Any Stones over 4-5 years old develop lots of niggly faults. Dell driver and management is infinitely better than Stone.

    Thinking about it I know I said Stone support is good we did have a batch of 100 Stones which wouldn't always recognise the keyboard. Stones answer; for me to update every BIOS myself, which didn't actually fix the problem. That alone put me off them.
    The website seems useless for Dell schools though to get prices and product info. Do you just go straight to phoning them?

  15. #44


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post
    The website seems useless for Dell schools though to get prices and product info. Do you just go straight to phoning them?
    ? Dells site? I just go on the premier site. All product info is there with a nice configurator doodah. In fact I wish all PC manufacturers would follow dells lead.

  16. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I must be being dumb where is that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. help required for my two sons new pcs
    By edie209 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17th December 2007, 10:11 AM
  2. New PC/Laptop
    By danIT in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd April 2007, 07:02 PM
  3. New PC Suite
    By steelrazor in forum Hardware
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 3rd December 2006, 01:38 AM
  4. New PC problems
    By Simcfc73 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th October 2006, 12:12 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14th June 2006, 05:57 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •