+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Require new PCs in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Stone are a brilliant supplier and I would highly recommend them.

This year we went with a company called Zoostorm that make custom builds, I am not going to tell you that they are of the highest quality, the cases are lightweight and what not but actual components are all top notch intel type stuff and at £245 a pop for 4gb RAM, decent dual core CPU and 160gb-ish HDD you can't really go wrong (Can get actual specs off our quote sheet if anyone is interested)

As for hardware support let's face it, 99.99% of hardware failure is either a DVD drive or a power supply. PSUs cost a fiver each and within the space of literally 5 minutes you can whip a machine out, replace PSU and put it back again. DVD drives in student machines *shrug* they dont use or need them so we don't bother replacing or repairing those, on staff machines again it's a fiver a time and 5 minutes in the office.

i wouldn't bother sending off machines or getting an onsite repair unless it was something pricey like a processor or mobo. Everything else we have "in stock" and repair in house.

We went with zoostorm due to the price, frankly if price was not an issue whatsoever I would always go with stone. If price is an issue go for Zoostorm.

I wouldn't use Dell as personally I see them as a home desktop solution (and even then I would avoid them like the plague) and RM I have only heard bad things but each to their own really. I also hear that dell PSUs are a nightmare to get hold of...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stone and Novatech, used both here, both great machines at great prices built to (exacting!) specifications, we have 5 year RTB warranties on them all and get free hot swap units with the order - so a machine breaks, we swap it out within ten minutes, ring up support and get the part on advance replacement. Fix that at our leisure over the next couple of days, send broken part back, swap machine back in for the hot swap.

As far as the end user is concerned, they never have more than a quarter of an hour of downtime. Beat that
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 12th October 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    @VeryPC

Love them guys.

They dont deal in horrible plastic cheap cases, they have great warranty and are nice people.
    Last edited by RTFM; 12th October 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    @VeryPC have my vote. Awesome products, support and price. Let me know if you need more details

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    PSUs cost a fiver each and within the space of literally 5 minutes you can whip a machine out, replace PSU and put it back again.
    If you only pay a fiver for your PSUs, I might have a suggestion as to why they account for 99.99% of your hardware failure...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Stone and Novatech, used both here, both great machines at great prices built to (exacting!) specifications, we have 5 year RTB warranties on them all and get free hot swap units with the order - so a machine breaks, we swap it out within ten minutes, ring up support and get the part on advance replacement. Fix that at our leisure over the next couple of days, send broken part back, swap machine back in for the hot swap.

As far as the end user is concerned, they never have more than a quarter of an hour of downtime. Beat that
    They will also do 5 year on-site warranty's.

At my previous place I payed less then 300 quid a pop for Core I3, 4Gb ram and Corsair SSD's.

The New cases from stone are very good and the chance of breaking is quite hard. The school i recently left bought a load of NovaTech machines which appear to be very plasticy cases from what they have said.

I used to have over 750 stone desktops and can't fault them in a single way!

Thank Post
    I would personally recommend going for a branded machine. HP are in the fortune 500 top 10 so are a pretty save bet and although I'm not a massive fan Dell are up high as well. Both offer a 5yr warranty and depending on how many you are after can do custom machines to the level you'll need. Unless they are being used for massive graphical work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Stone here, have done for the last 3 years - moved away from Dell.

Support from Stone excellent, engineers carry pretty much every part in the back of their cars. So if the problem is something else, they at least have the parts.

One thing I would say with Stone, never accept the first price. I'm sure your following your own financial guidelines when obtaining quotes, but I have to get at least 3 competing quotes and use these as bargaining. Just when you think you've got the best price, Stone always seem to come back with a better offer; so, never accept the first price.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OPSDanni View Post
    I would personally recommend going for a branded machine. HP are in the fortune 500 top 10 so are a pretty save bet and although I'm not a massive fan Dell are up high as well. Both offer a 5yr warranty and depending on how many you are after can do custom machines to the level you'll need. Unless they are being used for massive graphical work
    In terms of Cost HP/Dell never compete like for like IMHO plus the support can be a nightmare - with Stone I just called through said x was broken engineer turned up and fixed it the next day normally. Meanwhile I swapped out the machine with a temporary one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    One thing I would say with Stone, never accept the first price. I'm sure your following your own financial guidelines when obtaining quotes, but I have to get at least 3 competing quotes and use these as bargaining. Just when you think you've got the best price, Stone always seem to come back with a better offer; so, never accept the first price.

Pete
    Don't you love companies who try their best to rip you off to begin with, then after many harassing phone calls and emails finally give you the right price

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Don't you love companies who try their best to rip you off to begin with, then after many harassing phone calls and emails finally give you the right price
    its called business...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    its called business...
    really?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! whats that when its at home?

Thank Post
    Thanks very much guys. Your input has given me ideas and some avenues to explore.

I have given both RM and Stone a phone call so now I'm waiting on their quotes. I didn't realise they can custom make some of the components so I will get back on their case after I've gotten their quotes.

With all that being said, I will try Novatech but I am reluctant to try HP as they try their damn hardest not to honour their warranty support.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Personally for custom Builds I would look @ Stone computers or for Standard desktops the Lenovo Kit is brilliant.
    Would echo all the praise of Stone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

Edit: just looked at Stone's website, no prices. I'm always suspicious of companies who can't/won't put their prices on their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post

Pete
    Mmm, re-enforces my initial skepticism.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast