+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Big touchscreens in Technical; Originally Posted by mattianuk I know they can not display the PowerPoint etc and then switch off the monitors - ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    I know they can not display the PowerPoint etc and then switch off the monitors - but the freeze screen is a really well used standard tool here on projectors - it is just surprising the screens don't have it.
    In fairness to Sahara, the CleverLCD's arent the only product that dont offer this, as has been said, the BenQ's dont either. Not that that helps you any......

EDIT: just noticed you said you have the BenQ's haha

Thank Post
    Ive got a Benq! So I know it seems to be the majority! TBH I didnt even check for it... it didnt cross my mind...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So an IT teacher, using a PC in an IT lesson is fiddling around? How do they access impero? how do they access other work for students to do? how do they demo one on one with students? We ask them to keep emails open during a lesson as a means of instant site wide communication...
    Well, we don't have IT teachers here... IT is a subject that is split across relevant subjects (eg. excel stuff is in maths and science). Access to ABTutor is up to them - some use it, some don't. One just has it displayed on the screen to allow the entire class to see what everyone is doing. One to one demo? The teacher stands up, walks to them, and shows them what they want to do on their PC and then has them do it...

How can you expect an IT teacher to not use a PC and software to teach? I don't call that fiddling :/
    I do, interacting with the kids is part of the job. Sitting at a desk and checking emails, or something other than helping the kids to achieve the task they're doing, to me, is fiddling.

I know they can not display the PowerPoint etc and then switch off the monitors - but the freeze screen is a really well used standard tool here on projectors - it is just surprising the screens don't have it.
    What needs to be stuck on the screen for long enough that it has to be frozen there?

Also, I believe there might be a product which allows you to do this, by putting it in the middle between the TV and the computer. AverMedia used to make them. Basically, it allowed a pile of image manipulation tasks for projectors that didn't have them.
    Last edited by localzuk; 12th October 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Well, we don't have IT teachers here... IT is a subject that is split across relevant subjects (eg. excel stuff is in maths and science). Access to ABTutor is up to them - some use it, some don't. One just has it displayed on the screen to allow the entire class to see what everyone is doing. One to one demo? The teacher stands up, walks to them, and shows them what they want to do on their PC and then has them do it...

I do, interacting with the kids is part of the job. Sitting at a desk and checking emails, or something other than helping the kids to achieve the task they're doing, to me, is fiddling.
    I understand that - I havent said that is all they do - but I think if they don't want to disturb a class tools like Impero are great - and they need to be run from their PC. I think we will just need to agree to disagree - because at our place it is policy staff have their email open at all times - and one I fully support...

What needs to be stuck on the screen for long enough that it has to be frozen there?
    [/quote]

Learning objectives/instructions are the first thing that pop into my head...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Learning objectives/instructions are the first thing that pop into my head...
    They have a whiteboard for that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They have a whiteboard for that...
    That is a fair point, all our classrooms have a CleverLCD with standard whiteboards each side.

Thank Post
    Our's dont. Lots of our rooms dont. I had considered it but got told that was not really a solution for when they want to leave up PPTs which display instructions etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Kinda expensive, but others exist (but my Google-fu is failing me right now) Play.com - Buy Multi Format Convertor online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

It has a freeze frame feature.

Thank Post

Perceptive Pixel

We have 2 CleverTouch boards 65" Dissapointed with the accuracy of these as they use an optical system not capacitive which can be triggered with your knuckles or sleeves when using a finger. Using the supplied pen helps a little.

What we really need are these! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzCP...eature=related
    82" LCD Multi-Touch Display Perceptive Pixel (now owned by MS)
    Howeverthey cost $20K each!! Came to promenace in the 2008 presidential elections

Use bonded digitiser so there is virtually no parallax issues. Clevertouch feels like the screen is an inch away from the outer glass layer. Not sure if other makes suffer less from parallax effect which results in touching in the wrong place on screen (dependant on viewing angle)

Touchscreen Ergonomic Considerations (includes good explaination of parallax)

Parallax.png
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 20th November 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Thank Post
    We get around this problem by giving all teacher computers dual monitors, and then the second monitor is mirrored to the TV. After getting used to it, I've had very positive feedback.

We've got a load of Phillips 65" TVs but are looking at BenQs due to the Smart Notebook licenses being bundled. For those that have used the BenQs - how do they fare? From what I have seen in demos they seem virtually identical to the Phillips.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    We have 2 CleverTouch boards 65" Dissapointed with the accuracy of these as they use an optical system not capacitive which can be triggered with your knuckles or sleeves when using a finger. Using the supplied pen helps a little.

What we really need are these! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzCP...eature=related
    82" LCD Multi-Touch Display Perceptive Pixel (now owned by MS)
    Howeverthey cost $20K each!! Came to promenace in the 2008 presidential elections

Use bonded digitiser so there is virtually no parallax issues. Clevertouch feels like the screen is an inch away from the outer glass layer. Not sure if other makes suffer less from parallax effect which results in touching in the wrong place on screen (dependant on viewing angle)

Touchscreen Ergonomic Considerations (includes good explaination of parallax)

Parallax.png
    Either that, or people can make sure their sleeves are out of the way and just use a finger properly (or the pen). 3.5k vs 12.4k is a big difference. We've not had any accuracy complaints here with the 4 we have. However, give it 3 years, and those will be a lot lower price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123