+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptop screen brightness issue in Technical; Hi all. I am having issues with the screen on one of our school laptops (Acer Extensa 5620G) having a ...

Thank Post

Question Laptop screen brightness issue

Hi all. I am having issues with the screen on one of our school laptops (Acer Extensa 5620G) having a very dim display. Have done some research on the internet and come accross a couple possible solutions (Bios update, replace inverter), none of which have worked. I have taken the lid apart and swapped both the screen and the inverter with spares that I know work, to no avail. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have heard re the inverter that it is a power issue? Could there be a probelm with the motherboard connection or something similar?

Cheers

Thank Post
    At the risk of asking a silly question have you checked the user hasn't dimmed it with the hotkeys?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    At the risk of asking a silly question have you checked the user hasn't dimmed it with the hotkeys?
    Haha Have tried the keyboard hotkeys, they seem to have no effect

Thank Post
    Is their a driver/software for them?

I had a similiar issue with a samsung laptop after putting a custom image on the laptop i realised id forgot the software for these functions to work as Sumsung had put thier own software on it so that they would work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Is their a driver/software for them?

I had a similiar issue with a samsung laptop after putting a custom image on the laptop i realised id forgot the software for these functions to work as Sumsung had put thier own software on it so that they would work.
    Not that I can find. Have got all the extra Acer progs and nothing seems to help.

Thank Post
    Did you just switch the screen and inverter - could also be the screen cable, try one from a known working one and see if that makes any difference

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Did you just switch the screen and inverter - could also be the screen cable, try one from a known working one and see if that makes any difference
    When I swapped the inverters i swapped the cable aswell. Have also now tested both cables with both inverters with no success. I first took the screen apart in July, and haven't looked at it again until now (we don't work in the holidays here), but I'm sure it was fine originally, and the problem only occurred after that. But I'm confised as to what could have happened to cause this issue simply by doing that??

Out of interest what are the two cables which run along the side of the panel and stick to the lid in the top corners?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildw View Post
    Out of interest what are the two cables which run along the side of the panel and stick to the lid in the top corners?
    Probably WiFI antennae I would guess

Thank Post
    They're generally wifi cables

Thank Post
    How dim is the display? Can you post a pic? Is it just a shadow on the screen or a lot brighter than that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    How dim is the display? Can you post a pic? Is it just a shadow on the screen or a lot brighter than that?
    Hey Dom, here's a pic of the screen with my monitor hooked up to show what it should be showing . Sorry about the reflections...

DSCN1202.JPG

Thank Post
    try the screen on a working laptop to see if it is a faulty motherboard

Thank Post
    Hi all. I am having issues with the screen on one of our school laptops (Acer Extensa 5620G) having a very dim display. Have done some research on the internet and come accross a couple possible solutions (Bios update, replace inverter), none of which have worked. I have taken the lid apart and swapped both the screen and the inverter with spares that I know work, to no avail. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have heard re the inverter that it is a power issue? Could there be a probelm with the motherboard connection or something similar?

Cheers
    From the OP

Thank Post
    Or a faulty screen ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    If you go into the bios on the faulty motherboard / laptop is there any options with regards to the screen or screen brightness in the bios itself. I know no the Dells you can adjust and set the screen brightness depending whether it is on mains or only battery and I normally tend to set both to the max setting, save, restart and check again ?

Also reset bios to factory defaults or optimal settings ( whatever the option is called ) and save and restart to see if that helps at all. Also the mains cable you are using , if you try a different one to see if that makes any difference ?

Just wondering if you shutdown the laptop, remove the battery and power it only via mains or visa versa only via battery and not mains does that make any difference ?

Also thinking if you power the laptop completely off and swap the ram from a working laptop to the faulty laptop, if it is still the same then I am guessing motherboard issue or power issue as mentioned above.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 4th October 2012 at 12:25 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast