+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Building a Media Centre PC - what spec? in Technical; So I'm finally going to build a media centre PC and I don't want to spend more than I need ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Building a Media Centre PC - what spec?

So I'm finally going to build a media centre PC and I don't want to spend more than I need to.

So, I am planning on using a BlackGold BGT3600 dual DVB-S2 + dual DVB-T2 receiver card.

If I want to record all 4 channels at the same time, this would obvious be a bit of load on the CPU.

I also want it to handle playing back BluRay.

So, what spec CPU would handle this well?

Would the i3-3220T handle it ok?

Thank Post
    Not really linked to the specs, but you mention recording 4 channels at once. Have you considered getting equipment/software that can record multiplexs instead of channels?

There's 6 multiplexes in the UK currently ( DMOL - Listings (post switchover) ) and by recording your 4 multixples instead of channels you'd effectively get 40+ channels (if you pick average of 10 per mux).

Most pvr software can decode them to individual channels now, ( things like mythtv etc anyway Record multiple channels from one multiplex - MythTV Official Wiki ), then you can record pretty much all the channels or at least however many you want on each mux you're using.

It's the sort of system we run at our school, 6 inputs / 3 cards = every freeview channel on record 24/7.

Only a thought though,

Steve

Thank Post

Re: Building a Media Centre PC - what spec?

Not really linked to the specs, but you mention recording 4 channels at once. Have you considered getting equipment/software that can record multiplexs instead of channels?<br />
    <br />
    There's 6 multiplexes in the UK currently ( DMOL - Listings (post switchover) ) and by recording your 4 multixples instead of channels you'd effectively get 40+ channels (if you pick average of 10 per mux).<br />
    <br />
    Most pvr software can decode them to individual channels now, ( things like mythtv etc anyway Record multiple channels from one multiplex - MythTV Official Wiki ), then you can record pretty much all the channels or at least however many you want on each mux you're using.<br />
    <br />
    It's the sort of system we run at our school, 6 inputs / 3 cards = every freeview channel on record 24/7.<br />
    <br />
    Only a thought though,<br />
    <br />
    Steve
    Could you send me info. Could be cheaper than investing in clickview 24/7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Sorry, should expand that a bit, We use a paid for system at school. Planet eStream v5 Video Archiving, IPTV and Digital Signage solutions for Schools, Academies, Colleges, Universities and the Private Sector

All I meant is rather than recording 4 channels, one to each card, You could easily record a lot more etc even with a home system.

Just when you take away the pretty GUIs etc, all any of these products are is a layout on top of (normally) 6 tuners, recording 6 multiplexes at once.

If I remember right Clickview only records single channels instead of plexes, so 6 tuners = 6 channels etc.

Most of the home based PVR softwares (e.g. MythTV etc ) all support the multiplex recording already anyway.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So I'm finally going to build a media centre PC and I don't want to spend more than I need to.

So, I am planning on using a BlackGold BGT3600 dual DVB-S2 + dual DVB-T2 receiver card.

If I want to record all 4 channels at the same time, this would obvious be a bit of load on the CPU.

I also want it to handle playing back BluRay.

So, what spec CPU would handle this well?

Would the i3-3220T handle it ok?
    what are you wanting the PC to do? You may be better off with a Dreambox or Vu+ Duo HD. All your media centre needs (plus more ) all built into one box with remote and all set up working.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    @angryTechnition has a writeup of this on his blog.

For the OP I'm also going to suggest a home media server with all the hardware and a small dumb box at the TV to act as a client.

Its cheaper and easier as you don't need to be as careful with size and noise of bits.

The CPU may not be your biggest concern, look for a good GPU that can offload the tasks much better than choking a power hungry GP CPU with it.

I used an Atom with ION chipset for my old media server and the GPU lets it get away with the low spec CPU. You will need more grunt for multi channels but with an ok GPU it should cope.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    what are you wanting the PC to do? You may be better off with a Dreambox or Vu+ Duo HD. All your media centre needs (plus more ) all built into one box with remote and all set up working.
    I want it as a typical media PC, but also to act as a NAS. I also want to use it to serve another machine which will be an extender/client.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread