+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, NAS solutions for Veeam in Technical; I'm about to take the plunge with Veeam. I have been recommended a rack mount ready nas drive: Netgear ReadyNAS ...

Thank Post

NAS solutions for Veeam

I'm about to take the plunge with Veeam.

I have been recommended a rack mount ready nas drive:Netgear ReadyNAS 2100 4-bay 4TB (4x 1TB) 1U NAS Appliance | Ebuyer.com

But have seen much cheaper desktop nas drives by ther manufacturers. Are the ready as worth double the price for half the storage?

Qnap Ts-412 4-bay 8tb Nas Solution | Ebuyer.com or http://www.ebuyer.com/280027-synolog...tion-ds411-8tb
    Last edited by mattianuk; 29th September 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Thank Post
    I haven't used any of them but notice there's 1GB of RAM in the ReadyNAS compared to 512MB and 256MB in the other ones.

There's also two nics on the ReadyNAS and it supports failover etc.

Guess it comes down to how much data, how quickly does it need to be backed up, how are you intending on presenting it to Veeam etc.

3. Thanks to kmount from:

mattianuk (1st October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't comment on the one's you've mentioned, but I'm currently using a HP microserver with a couple of 2TB disks thrown into it (already had the microserver, just repurposed it).

5. Thanks to Cache from:

Thank Post
    Thanks, Ill price that up...

hit
    Thank Post
    We have two readynas 3200's each with 12x2tb and they have been rock solid apart from one drive developing errors which was painless to sort out, hot swap the disk with a new one and the disk was rebuilt within 2 hours. One thing though is that they are noisy as hell, ours are in silenced cabs as their locations don't have dedicated server rooms, I believe the 2100's are also noisy!

8. Thanks to hit from:

Thank Post
    I've been using a QNAP TS-859U+ with Veeam without any issues, however we have seen problems when putting them under heavy load from Backup Exec. We experienced dropouts / SMB errors when connecting to a Windows share on the QNAP, but these problems were pretty much resolved by using iSCSI. They're not the greatest boxes in the world and don't quite live up to their advertised features when you push them, but they're quite nice for 'dumb storage' if you don't need high performance.

Chris

10. Thanks to Duke from:

Thank Post
    I have been using a TS-659 Pro II with Veeam. No issues at all when using the box as a big dumping ground. We simply connect the share as a mapped network drive and have Veeam backup to that.
    To give you an idea we backup our student file server daily and it takes 55 min and completes at 203 MB/s. I dont think you would see any performance issues with this device at all. We have populated ours with 6 x 3TB Hitachi drives and so far touch wood its been perfect.
    I then use another identical QNAP box else where and have setup the Real-Time Remote Replication so it copies everything Veeam to the other QNAP box in another part of the school in the event of a disaster in that room. That replicats approx 4.5TB and takes 4 hours to complete every night. The idea being I can simply pickup the second QNAP from our secure location and walk out with it in the event of a disaster and we have our entire VM infrastructure on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I would go with a higher end device which you can use for ISCSI - in the event of needing to be able to boot your VM's from the Nas box you want something that will give you half decent performance if the need arises.

Toby

13. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Thanks all. I think Ill go for the Readynas. Need to see where I can put it. So @glennda - you reckon the Readynas would allow that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    Thanks all. I think Ill go for the Readynas. Need to see where I can put it. So @glennda - you reckon the Readynas would allow that?
    Most Probably - not used one personally but I setup an Iomega PX4-300R in a DR situation last week which had 4 TB of storage although we put it in raid 1+0.

The 8Tb version is a few under quid cheaper on Ebuyer then the one you are looking at (and infact is a really good price!).

Thank Post
    Ill look ta

Funnily enough the ebueyr price is 500 cheaper then the novatech price they quoted me for the same model readynas. Pays to check.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    Ill look ta

Funnily enough the ebueyr price is 500 cheaper then the novatech price they quoted me for the same model readynas. Pays to check.
    Well that price on the Iomega is cheaper then my buy price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread