+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Bloody HP Deskjet 1220C! in Technical; Originally Posted by kevinmcaleer Just been on www.experts-exchange.com and found this: Accepted Answer from Sembee Date: 07/07/2004 01:43PM PDT It ...

Thank Post

Re: Bloody HP Deskjet 1220C!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcaleer
    Just been on www.experts-exchange.com and found this:

Accepted Answer from Sembee
    Date: 07/07/2004 01:43PM PDT

It is almost certainly a printer driver that is causing this. Notorious problem.
    The rule of thumb is to use Windows native drivers (ie supplied with Windows) where ever possible. The problem is identifiying which driver it is.
    You may have to remove them all and then replace them one by one with built in drivers to see which one it is - or do some testing in a controlled environment to try and narrow it down.

Don't know if it applies, but could be the culprit.

-Kev
    There is issues using the windows drivers tho, i always try get the PCL drivers for all network printers as you lose functionality (HP2200 windows driver wont allow a 2200DN to double side for example) and i found it took down the print spooler more often. just before i left waverley i had set up all the network printers on a w2k3 box and were running manufacturers PCL6 drivers and not one single driver or spooler problem since it was set up. before that it was every day something would happen.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Rob_
    You can add my name to the list of engineers that have spent a significant amount of time in the past battling with the 1220C on Jetdirect boxes... And the culprit was? Drivers!
    I concur!

Quote Originally Posted by secman
    We have one of these in CDT shared on a 170X HP print server box. Our Print Server is W2K with XP Pro SP2 Clients.
    We find that from time to time it is necessary to restart the Print Spooler on the print server because the printer just stops and will not print anything. We think that it is down to the software being used in that area. The culprit might be a package called "2D Design" as most of the problems occur when kids print from that package.
    We have tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from HP which has seemed to reduce the occurrence a bit.
    We have another 1220C in our reprographics room and have never had any problems with it at all.
    I'm not convinced that it's 2D Design... I believe that we're getting a similar problem to you, quite regularly with 1220s both on a JetDirect box & local to a PC. Seems to print a single line of ASCII code on the top of the page, then move to next page, ad infinitum.

Only short term solution is to kill the spooler service for 30 seconds then restart it. Also had this problem with a couple of the 3820s that were here when I arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by E1uSiV3
    There is issues using the windows drivers tho, i always try get the PCL drivers for all network printers
    I'll have to try that one...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    Quote Originally Posted by _Rob_
    You can add my name to the list of engineers that have spent a significant amount of time in the past battling with the 1220C on Jetdirect boxes... And the culprit was? Drivers!
    I concur!

Quote Originally Posted by secman
    We have one of these in CDT shared on a 170X HP print server box. Our Print Server is W2K with XP Pro SP2 Clients.
    We find that from time to time it is necessary to restart the Print Spooler on the print server because the printer just stops and will not print anything. We think that it is down to the software being used in that area. The culprit might be a package called "2D Design" as most of the problems occur when kids print from that package.
    We have tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from HP which has seemed to reduce the occurrence a bit.
    We have another 1220C in our reprographics room and have never had any problems with it at all.
    I'm not convinced that it's 2D Design... I believe that we're getting a similar problem to you, quite regularly with 1220s both on a JetDirect box & local to a PC. Seems to print a single line of ASCII code on the top of the page, then move to next page, ad infinitum.

Only short term solution is to kill the spooler service for 30 seconds then restart it. Also had this problem with a couple of the 3820s that were here when I arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by E1uSiV3
    There is issues using the windows drivers tho, i always try get the PCL drivers for all network printers
    I'll have to try that one...
    The problem with the line of code usually means that the printer has missed some of the data stream from the server. You can get this if you switch off a Printer while it's printing and then back on. Could you have a dodgy data cable, say the printer cable.?? Just a thought.

Thank Post

Had my K850dn delivered today! Looks well cool and it does take the #10 consumables!

I think that the tech dept may have managed to kill it already - we can find out on monday.

Thank Post

Hmm I was informed otherwise!!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Hmm I was informed otherwise!!!
    When I read the website, it said otherwise - went on about #88 consumables but the one that was delivered today came with #10/#11 cartridges and print heads. Odd but I'm not complaining cos it means that it's one less thing to worry about.

Thank Post

That lost Qual an order as well I ended up shuffling some equipment around departments rather than getting a new one as I ahve loads of ink for my current ones.

Thank Post

I'm sure the 1220C and Jetdirects do have issues. It's been a few years since I had to pull my hair out at DT's kit.

We had intel Netports as well...and I *seem* to recall they worked better. It was definetly a driver thing though.

By the by now - One snapped the encoder strip and threw a wobbler, and a teacher put the other on its side to "move it temporarily", and the catch tanks covered the electronics, head, casing and carpet in ink.

Both were scrapped, and have been replaced with an Epson A3 inkjet, and a Xerox Phaser 8400 that sits outside our office for A4 work. The Epson is on a Jetdirect 170x, and the other JDs have been attached to our 3 CAMM1's.

I doubt very much it's 2D...we've done bugtesting for them, and 2D works fine with JD170X's..

Thank Post

I replaced my 1220C pieces of rubbish with a HP K850dn and then started having problems with that!

Anyhow... I have now fixed the problem (as long as some tit doesn't break it tomorrow!) - I used the HP driver scubber and downloaded the new PCL3 driver which semms to have fixed the problems (the printer event lof said it was firmware errors).

Whilst testing the printer I also did a quick check on the cost of printing an A3 photo plus a couple of coloured block borders... £0.239 a page. Not bad IMHO.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12