+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Top choice for new ICT Suites in Technical; Originally Posted by multipoint Can't compete with Dell on what? Price? Product features? Support? Any chance of expanding upon your ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by multipoint View Post
    Can't compete with Dell on what? Price? Product features? Support? Any chance of expanding upon your post? I think VeryPC have come on a long way and could perhaps do a counter proposal on the board for a like for like Dell quote? I've seen quotes for their Flex All-In-One with a 21" hard glass monitor that beat the Stone Unistand with monitor and USFF PC recently which was impressive considering Stone can print replicated Windows COAs.
    Bit of everything (maybe price not). One thing for example i can do with a Dell is manage the BIOS via SCCM.

2. Thanks to FN-GM from:

multipoint (26th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisteph10 View Post
    Hi

Weve been using Lenovo ThinkCentre's for some time but we are planning a new ICT Suite.

What is everyones first choice of make and model when planning new Suites?

Thanks
    I've been using Thinkcentres as well.
    Our thin clients are self-build.
    Over the years we've used PC's from Acer, Toshiba,Apple, Dell, Samsung. Hand on heart: Lenovo build quality support and warranty is the best we've come across. The extended 3-yr onsite warranty usually costs around 30 but when we've needed it we've had an engineer onsite with the correct parts the next day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    We've just bought five - hopefully we'll get them set up in the next couple of days. They are, overall, good machines - we can re-use our current monitors, and they are a good price. We haven't had them in classrooms / teaching rooms yet, I've just got one set up on my desk ready to sort out an image, but a couple of points:

The marketing image shows USB and audio ports in a slot in the front of the case. Ours come with a hole that's been patched up on the front. The USB and audio ports aren't far away, just round the left hand side of the case, but it's bound to puzzle some users. There's no SD / other card slot in the machine (it might be available as an option).

They do still need several cables. There's a neat-looking cover on the end of the case where the cables come out which keeps everything reasonably tidy, but that cover seems a bit delicate and liable to pop off if you have a decent number of cables in the back.

I got these machines in the hope they would be able to use both their graphics ports so we could use them to drive a SMARTBoard's projector as well as a monitor. Windows 7 doesn't recognise a second monitor plugged in - I need to look at this a bit more, but it seems you can't attach two monitors at the same time.

Thank Post
    At Magna we're an all HP house, (77/78/79/8200 Elite Ultra Slim...) with Ag Neovo monitors (U-17) and NEC Projectors. Good bits of Kit!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We've just bought five - hopefully we'll get them set up in the next couple of days. They are, overall, good machines - we can re-use our current monitors, and they are a good price. We haven't had them in classrooms / teaching rooms yet, I've just got one set up on my desk ready to sort out an image, but a couple of points:

The marketing image shows USB and audio ports in a slot in the front of the case. Ours come with a hole that's been patched up on the front. The USB and audio ports aren't far away, just round the left hand side of the case, but it's bound to puzzle some users. There's no SD / other card slot in the machine (it might be available as an option).

They do still need several cables. There's a neat-looking cover on the end of the case where the cables come out which keeps everything reasonably tidy, but that cover seems a bit delicate and liable to pop off if you have a decent number of cables in the back.

I got these machines in the hope they would be able to use both their graphics ports so we could use them to drive a SMARTBoard's projector as well as a monitor. Windows 7 doesn't recognise a second monitor plugged in - I need to look at this a bit more, but it seems you can't attach two monitors at the same time.
    Hey David,

If you can PM me some details of when would be a good time to call you and I'll give you a call to discuss the above (dual screen, usb etc).

Ed

7. Thanks to VeryPC_Ed from:

dhicks (26th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Why's that X-13?

I know that we've supplied some of our hardware to an RM managed school this summer, as I was dealing with providing advanced imaging units, so that RM could capture the driver/OS sets..
    RM took over our LEA support, so they know when we try to get other companies in to supply computers.

Then suddenly, the other company isn't interested.

Not even joking... This actually happened.

9. Thanks to X-13 from:

multipoint (27th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by multipoint View Post
    Can't compete with Dell on what? Price?
    Wouldn't know; they don't put prices on their site. Soooo frustrating ... I usually click X

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    Wouldn't know; they don't put prices on their site. Soooo frustrating ... I usually click X
    Dell prices might as well not be there. We pay a fraction compared to the website price.

Thank Post
    Still using lenovo, wouldn't go back to anything else, had a batch of acers and a batch of HP's over the years but the lenovo's still out live the others, and warrenty support has been the best.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hmm... attempted anon-negrep because I stated I can't choose anyone other than RM...

The hell is wrong with people?

Thank Post
    We have a load of zoostorms, good spec for the price, but you will get a couple that wont build or have some faults develop, but for 190 ex VAT for 6GB of ram, a 250 GB hard drive and a Pentium G840 processor, they aren't bad. We've had a couple of faults, mostly a dodgy stick of RAM, and hit and miss customer support, but only 1 has needed to be sent away for repairs. There's no OS license supplied, but that's not a huge issue if you have a site license. Can easily build to a RM CC4 network too, with the driver helpfully on the disk provided. Best bit is they also provide a free keyboard and mouse. Won't win any awards, but performance on the network seems quite good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    RM took over our LEA support, so they know when we try to get other companies in to supply computers.

Then suddenly, the other company isn't interested.

Not even joking... This actually happened.
    It might be worth speaking to VeryPC next time you need some machines quoting anyway, i'm sure little old RM dont scare them haha

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    In fairness its fairly obvious why they don't list prices on the site, as @FN-GM said, a web price isnt worth the pixels it takes to display once you get into the negotiation phase of proceedings so it might as well not be there

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    hmm... attempted anon-negrep because I stated I can't choose anyone other than RM...

The hell is wrong with people?
    You know what was being said in the other thread about how RM keep an eye on this forum...?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the various comments. Has anyone had any issues with Very and Imaging? What do people use to Image them?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast