+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, OCZ Octanes - BE WARNED! in Technical; Hi folks, Just to warn anyone considering OCZ Octanes, we had over 30% fail in a batch of around 70 ...
    Thank Post

OCZ Octanes - BE WARNED!

Hi folks,

Just to warn anyone considering OCZ Octanes, we had over 30% fail in a batch of around 70 PCs we ordered.

They've been replaced with OCZ Agility 4s, and we've already had two of those fail.

A bit of Googling turns up that OCZ failure rates are some of the worst, if not the worst.

H2H

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep awful SSDs.

We use Intel SSDs exclusively here with a 0% failure rate so far.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OCZ failure rates are the worst in the industry from what I've seen, however their newer models are getting better - they used to have an average of around 9-10% failure rate with the series 1 drives. Now that's dropped down to around 2-3%. For comparison, Intel is less than 1%.

Problem is, OCZ seem to offer some very good 'bulk' prices to PC makers, so some choose them over more reliable ones such as Intels. Its a bit of a false economy though, as it just means more support requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We also had a high failure rate with OCZ. Their returns system was rather good though and they quickly replaced all the failed units.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    OCZ give SSDs a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It's a bit of a false economy though
    So true. It's a shame people only look at the initial price when buying stuff.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would never touch OCZ SSDs. Very high failure rate IMHO. HotUKDeals is always full of people wetting themselves when they find an OCZ SSD being sold for a few pence cheaper than it was previously. PEOPLE, THEY'RE CHEAP FOR A REASON! Buy something decent, anything other than an OCZ drive!

/RANT OVER

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    What I find odd is that there are so many reports of OCZ drives failing, yet the stats show that they're still more reliable than a traditional HDD - it just doesn't add up.

Are the statistics being fixed, or is it a case of HDD's usually last a few months before they fail whereas SSD's go kaput in days rather than weeks and so are perceived as worse?

Just pondering, I won't buy OCZ for the very same reason as the rest of you!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    What I find odd is that there are so many reports of OCZ drives failing, yet the stats show that they're still more reliable than a traditional HDD - it just doesn't add up.

Are the statistics being fixed, or is it a case of HDD's usually last a few months before they fail whereas SSD's go kaput in days rather than weeks and so are perceived as worse?

Just pondering, I won't buy OCZ for the very same reason as the rest of you!
    SSD drives... if built correctly should simply not fail. They have no moving parts so its usually the controller that is the problem or some bad fuse or something. It would be VERY rare for anything to go wrong with the actual memory chips.

Hard disks fail over time yes, but you would be surprised how many fail in the first 6 months or as a result of heat exposure to the components. There was a really interesting study done by google that said if you can get a hard drive running for over 5 years it was very likely that it would run forever

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @zag clearly you've never owned an OCZ drive!
    There's clearly something very wrong with them, the failure rates in real world terms are astonishing. Something is very skewed for the "comparison to HDD" reports to have that sort of wrongness.

Thank Post
    How do SanDisk match up to failure rates etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    @zag clearly you've never owned an OCZ drive!
    There's clearly something very wrong with them, the failure rates in real world terms are astonishing. Something is very skewed for the "comparison to HDD" reports to have that sort of wrongness.
    Its a skewing of statistics though really. SSDs, if they're gonna fail, seem to fail very quickly upon delivery. Hard disks seem to hold in there for a random period of time and break 1 at a time. In the last year, we must've replaced around 40 hard drives from around 400 PCs and Laptops at that school. So, about 10% in a year, but they didn't all just die within a few weeks of delivery like SSDs seem to.

Thank Post
    Its a skewing of statistics though really. SSDs, if they're gonna fail, seem to fail very quickly upon delivery. Hard disks seem to hold in there for a random period of time and break 1 at a time. In the last year, we must've replaced around 40 hard drives from around 400 PCs and Laptops at that school. So, about 10% in a year, but they didn't all just die within a few weeks of delivery like SSDs seem to.
    This makes more sense. I thought the same as LosOjos in that even though the failure rates seem to be so high, it looks like it is still better than traditional HDD.

Thank Post

Problem is, OCZ seem to offer some very good 'bulk' prices to PC makers, so some choose them over more reliable ones such as Intels. Its a bit of a false economy though, as it just means more support requirements.
    Yup I've had a few manufacturers offering me those, politely declined every time... Intel or Crucial that's all I'll accept in my builds

Thank Post
    Intel, Samsung and Crucial are the makes I hear with the better reliability rates. Unless anyone's heard different?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Hopefully OCZ's new CEO can turn the company around. I certainly won't miss OCZ if they go out of business though!

OCZ gets new interim CEO as Ryan Petersen resigns
    Bright Side of News is reporting that OCZ's founder and CEO has been ousted by the board of directors. While the statement says that they tendered his resignation, BSN appears to believe that the board has ousted him, likely due to the many missteps the company has taken as of late.

It's not exactly clear what effect this will have on the stock. As of late, OCZ's shares have been falling and this change in leadership may be enough to get them to bounce back. (Source)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast