+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, Desktop manufacturers not offering SSD in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Have had similar frustrations when speccing up machines here as even the smaller OEM builders were charging a premium for the SSD drives compared to what I can buy them for on eBuyer or any other consumer site for £10-20 \ unit less.

We put Crucial M4 SSDs into some of our older laptops as the HDDs were painfully slow. Even on IDE mode it still knocks a minute and bit off the boot \ logon times and makes them lightning fast opening programs.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've bought some Shuttle XH61 Barebones with 4gb of Ram, i3 CPU and an Intel 60GB SSD. All for £305!!

They take a couple of minutes to build and look great. Also can be fitted to the back of monitors.

I won't be buying any pre configured systems until they are reasonably priced and available to buy from web shops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 667 Posts
    Gshaw - Ebuyer do some great pricing as they have good buying power. Some of the SSD/memory vendors will do a deal directly skipping wholesale distribution .

This means the ebuyer SSD sometimes can sell even be below small Integrators cost .

I'll drop you a PM .

Thank Post
    That's a good price for the shuttle . Did they come assembled with, OS and Optical for that price ?

Andy

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    That's a good price for the shuttle . Did they come assembled with, OS and Optical for that price ?
    Nope. But thats the beauty of the barebone Pc's, you just add Memory and a CPU. We don't need Optical drives or Operating system licenses.

I had a look at your Broadleaf PC's and they looked really good as well. I love the service to mark them with the schools name. Will definitely check them out in the future.
    Last edited by zag; 6th September 2012 at 02:41 PM.

6. Thanks to zag from:

VeryPC (6th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Nope. But thats the beauty of the barebone Pc's, you just add Memory and a CPU. We don't need Optical drives or Operating system licenses.

I had a look at your Broadleaf PC's and they looked really good as well. I love the service to mark them with the schools name. Will definitely check them out in the future.
    Are you sticking Linux on them then? If installing Windows you'll need an OEM licence supplied with the machine or a full retail version, volume licencing are upgrades from these.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've bought some Shuttle XH61 Barebones with 4gb of Ram, i3 CPU and an Intel 60GB SSD. All for £305!!

They take a couple of minutes to build and look great. Also can be fitted to the back of monitors.

I won't be buying any pre configured systems until they are reasonably priced and available to buy from web shops.
    Its great that you have the time and inclination to do this, and also are happy to take on the warranty management - ie. having to fully diagnose which component is broken if something odd happens (meaning that you have to either have spares in stock or swap with a working machine). I've yet to find a school where they have enough staff time to do this though...

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

VeryPC (6th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Hmm.... I guess there are arguments to both sides .

The trick would be to partner with a hardware supplier that could provide competitive pricing on parts and quality/durable/long warranted complete systems.

If you then chose to just buy the hardware - Ideally the supplier would be able to advise on which parts are quality components, have a good warranty / low failure rate .

And..

Assist with any returns or diagnosis issues if you purchase the hardware from them.

Shall I send anyone a PM ?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its great that you have the time and inclination to do this, and also are happy to take on the warranty management - ie. having to fully diagnose which component is broken if something odd happens (meaning that you have to either have spares in stock or swap with a working machine). I've yet to find a school where they have enough staff time to do this though...
    Well we already dismantle a PC to put an SSD drive in it. I found that installing RAM and a CPU took less than 5mins. It was surprising to me how easy it actually is. Bear in mind I'm talking about bare-bone pc's here not building them from scratch. There is a big difference.

As for broken PC's, I haven't used a warranty in the 2 years since we have had SSD drives. Nothing has gone wrong any of our with 150 desktops in that time. Amazing really!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123