+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Desktop manufacturers not offering SSD in Technical; Very Image 1.png.jpg And this one....

Thank Post
    Very Image 1.png.jpg

And this one.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. I just bought 10 new HP 3300 Machines for £270 quid.

HP Pro 3300 XT339EA#ABU | Insight UK

We then bought 10 60GB Intel SSD's (I wouldnt touch the other cheaper brands tbh) for £47 quid each.

Intel Solid SSDSC2CT060A3K5 | Insight UK

Its a simple job to replace when they come in as we image the computers anyway.

So thats £317 each for brand new Slim factor SSD desktops. Bargain!

I do wish PC manufacturers would catch up though, I mean who uses 500GB Hard disks?? and DVD drives these days??!! At least they dropped the floppy disks now
    Last edited by zag; 5th September 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,817 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    what SSDs are you guys putting in?
    Four different makes/models so far...

• Intel 320 Series
    • Samsung 830 Series
    • Crucial M4
    • SanDisk Extreme

how stable have they been?
    Zero problems so far. For us, they have been way more reliable than HDDs.

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

apeo (6th September 2012)

Thank Post
    We use VeryPC for all our machines now, brilliant guys. Love their support, products etc.

I'd certainly recommend them

<3 @VeryPC

6. 2 Thanks to RTFM:

mac_shinobi (5th September 2012), VeryPC (5th September 2012)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hijack this thread, what SSDs are you guys putting in? and how stable have they been?
    We are using Intel 320 Series, Installed over 300 now.

Zero problems also.

As above, much more reliable than hard disks.

8. Thanks to zag from:

apeo (6th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 646 Posts
    The Intel 320 3Gbps have been replaced by Intel 330 6Gbps .

Intel have just announced a Price drop and rebate to integrators meaning the 330 are really good value at present.

Of the SSD we've seen the most uptake on

Intel 330 - Good performance, reliable and warranted for 20GB /write /day
    Crucial M4 - Good performance and better value than intel.
    OCZ - Great performance , on Vertex and Agility - Firmware on cheaper ssd of Octane and Petrol is flakey and would not recommend even if paid a bung.

Andy

10. 3 Thanks to VeryPC:

apeo (6th September 2012), mac_shinobi (5th September 2012), zag (5th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tips, of course I know to get in contact with some Account Managers, but when you're just looking for a quick ballpark figure it is annoying having to go out specifically to get this information.

It is really surprising that the big manufacturers haven't begun to offer this on the mid-range units. SSDs have come down massively in price, most organisations don't need masses of local data and the speed boost from an SSD has turned them in to the equivalent advice from about 10 years ago of "stick more RAM in it" to increase a PC's performance. I reckon, as has been mentioned, that they have big contracts with the Seagates and Maxtors of this world and as these guys haven't got a decent offering in the SSD market they are caught in their own bulk purchase contracts.

Thank Post
    One thing to remember with custom builds swapping HDD for SSD - make sure you confirm that the motherboard being supplied supports SATA 6Gbps. We had to make a late change to a build spec because the original board only had SATA 3Gbps ports. It was sorted no problems but is a gotcha to look out for.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    Thanks for the tips, of course I know to get in contact with some Account Managers, but when you're just looking for a quick ballpark figure it is annoying having to go out specifically to get this information.

It is really surprising that the big manufacturers haven't begun to offer this on the mid-range units. SSDs have come down massively in price, most organisations don't need masses of local data and the speed boost from an SSD has turned them in to the equivalent advice from about 10 years ago of "stick more RAM in it" to increase a PC's performance. I reckon, as has been mentioned, that they have big contracts with the Seagates and Maxtors of this world and as these guys haven't got a decent offering in the SSD market they are caught in their own bulk purchase contracts.
    The reason is the Manufactures realize SSDs are the biggest performance increase in a generation. It makes the CPU and RAM virtually irrelevant which means less upgrades for them basically. We don't even bother buying core i3's any more as the SSD has a far greater performance increase. Its a race to the bottom and the manufactures know it.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    One thing to remember with custom builds swapping HDD for SSD - make sure you confirm that the motherboard being supplied supports SATA 6Gbps. We had to make a late change to a build spec because the original board only had SATA 3Gbps ports. It was sorted no problems but is a gotcha to look out for.
    3gbps and 6gbps interfaces make absolutely no difference in real life testing of SSD's.

I've said it before but my 1st generation 4 year old PATA Samsung 20gb SSD has exactly the same OS performance as my top of the range 600GB intel SSD bought last year. There is no difference in real life usage unless your maybe copying over USB3 between 2 SSD computers.

Thank Post
    The big OEM's will have supply contracts with Seagate , WD , hitachi etc which means they commit to a volume and get guaranteed low cost and delivery . During the HDD crisis this is why HDD price went crazy and availability scarce. The HDD vendors had to supply stock under contract at pre flood prices to the big OEM's meaning the remaining free HDD stock went up to cover the cost.

This meant independent System integrators suffered with availability and price post flood era - the flip side is that now independent System integrators can react quicker to the increased SSD demand whilst the Large OEM's will be stuck with HDD until the supply contract is up.

In the meantime we'll enjoy the SSD party - I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until the big boys join the SSD battle.

Andy

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC View Post
    The Intel 320 3Gbps have been replaced by Intel 330 6Gbps .

Intel have just announced a Price drop and rebate to integrators meaning the 330 are really good value at present.

Of the SSD we've seen the most uptake on

Intel 330 - Good performance, reliable and warranted for 20GB /write /day
    Crucial M4 - Good performance and better value than intel.
    OCZ - Great performance , on Vertex and Agility - Firmware on cheaper ssd of Octane and Petrol is flakey and would not recommend even if paid a bung.

Andy
    I just looked on Insight but couldn't find any VeryPC's to buy with SSD drives. All have old school 250gb Hard disks or don't even mention the size!!

Will you be making some available at some point?

Thank Post
    Zag ,

I'll PM you some info and reviews - We run HDD and SSD skus. Insight operate a lot of their feeds through CNET - CNET costs £4000 to be a member - unfortunately until sales volumes justify through partners who need CNET subscription for VeryPC.

As we're education focussed most is custom build but there is a range of pre-set example skus

There's a new review out in PC PRO's ICT in Education magazine in a for a SFF Allinone I7, 8G, 120GB SSD, Quadro 600, 24" Workstation week or so with SSD.

Please slap me if this is breaking advertising rules ?

Thank Post
    sorry - meant to say no CNet subscription for VeryPC!
    Andy

Thank Post
    Dell are being about this. They'll sell you a desktop PC with an SSD, but they'll charge you 2x-3x the standard cost of the SSD for it. I bought some Dell Optiplex 390's this summer with basic HDDs and we sourced and fitted our own OCZ Agility 3 drives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast