+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, WEEE disposal costs! in Technical; Ok I have been reading in this WEEE stuff and have come to the conclusion that companies supplying WEEE should ...

Thank Post

WEEE disposal costs!

Ok I have been reading in this WEEE stuff and have come to the conclusion that companies supplying WEEE should take the same amount of kit back for free? Is this correct?

Also if this is not correct and/or to dispose of additional equipment you have to pay a company.

I am looking for the quickest, cheapest and painless way to dispose of old monitors and base units, keyboards and mice. I have found a local company that can take the stuff away for £5.99 per item, so thats £5.99 a monitor, £5.99 a base unit, £5.99 a box of cables and strangely £5.99 for a keyboard and £5.99 for a mouse! So I was going to hold onto keyboards and mice for now as they take up less space. If 5.99 for each of the bulky items a good deal? Will I be wasting tax payers money going for it or should I look around some more? I don't have the time to start sending equipment to companies we bought new stuff from as we have used several. I also don't have time to check computers over to send them to computer aid or another similar charity. It would also cost us a lot on shipping.

So do I cough up the 5.99 per item, including 5.99 for old projector lamps and laser printers or is there another solution? I wan't it to be cost effective whilst not taking up my time as my time is money too so what goes around comes around really.

I have read some threads on WEEE before but I don't know if anyone mentioned the costs or what they have actually done themselves. A lot of it seems what people 'think' or 'know' not what they have experienced first hand.

Oh and we are givingsome old equipment away to other schools and staff. Should I get them to sign something with the item serial number on as if they get rid of it irresponsibly in future then the SMART WATER on the items may bring them back to school and we might get fined for it! I was to completely sign out any equipment that leaves schools so it is no longer the school's responsibility.

Cheers all!

John

Thank Post

Re: WEEE disposal costs!

I would also be interested in this
    We are replacing 100 PCs over the summer and need the old ones to be securely disposed of.
    My Site Agent believes that the company supplying any WEEE items should unpack the new kit and take away the old stuff and packaging free of charge. This sounds too good to be true.
    I just sent an e-mail to the company we are buying from but if they should be doing it free it would be great if I could point them in the right are of legislation.

Thank Post

It doesnt necessarily have to be free, they can charge you (if they are collecting from you, rather than you taking it to them), but they can only charge you for the "logistical" costs involved. ie. courier costs.

Not on the same scale, but as an example, I recently had a new cooker delivered, and the company took away my old cooker under WEEE (I hadnt bought the old cooker from them), they basically charged me 4 quid for the costs incurred in the collection and courier of the old cooker.

Thank Post

<Shifty look>
    Private car to the tip. Takes a while but it's a jolly out of the office.
    </Shifty look>

Thank Post

The supplier of your new kit is required to offer to take an equal amount of stuff away so long as it is a like-for-like replacements (exact definition of that phrase has proved elusive though!). They can charge for this, but only to cover the logistical costs, so £50 for the courier or whatever.

For the rest of the stuff then sadly £5.99 per PC isn't an unreasonable price. Box the keyboards and mice up and send them off to Computer Aid, though.

Thank Post

Keep the keyboards to fix damaged ones.

Our mice seem to run away into the bins on a night....

Base Units and Monitors? The odd one tends to be given to caretakers to dispose of, last time we had a lot we gave them to charity.

Thank Post

You may also want to check with your Local Authority IT department to see if they have something already setup for this.

I know Derby City do - and take many things off us such as computers, monitors, printers etc....

And its probably a rule that says LA's need to do this - (who knows)

Worth a try

Thank Post

There are lots of companies / charity groups that take your items for free.
    We use a company called LCWS who turn up on time and there is a no hassle service. They technically buy the equipment off you by donating £5.00 for every collection to charity on your behalf. They provide all the paper work you need for weee, rohas and end of life responsiblity. All in all a good service and at no cost to us.

Thank Post

Our last lot were so old they didn't meet the minimum requirements for even Oxfam.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Our last lot were so old they didn't meet the minimum requirements for even Oxfam.
    Same here - if the PCs were of suitable spec for Oxfam/Computer Aid/etc, then we wouldn't be getting rid of them!

Thank Post

LCWS dont seem to care how old the items are. From what i understand they have a training scheme where yts people take the older machines apart and recycle the metal, plastic, and circuit boards.

Thank Post

£5.99 seems about right

We've been quoted £230ish for disposal of 17 CRTs and 17 towers by a company called Midex. However they go on weight, so if we added keyboards it wouldnt cost as much as adding monitors

Its a lot of money but we've just told SMT that when they want new equipment they'll have to start factoring in disposal costs

Luckily as our school seems to have a ridiculous amount of money, the machines we are getting rid of are stuff like 2.8Ghz P4's, which local primary schools fall over themselves to take off us. We've even got to the stage where we are giving TFT's away - ridiculous

For the odd really old machine we just take a trip to the recycling skip at the tip every now and again

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Its a lot of money but we've just told SMT that when they want new equipment they'll have to start factoring in disposal costs
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but why not get the manufacturer/distributor to collect it. If anything you should only pay an admin/logistical fee? no?

Thank Post

Hi ppl I use a company called MJK recycling in North Yorkshire Free Pick and even get the paper work with the serial numbers on it

Brilliant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Luckily as our school seems to have a ridiculous amount of money, the machines we are getting rid of are stuff like 2.8Ghz P4's, which local primary schools fall over themselves to take off us. We've even got to the stage where we are giving TFT's away - ridiculous
    Wow, I'm coming to raid your skip, you can keep the HDDs with your confidential data on them, im just after the rest of the kit, I will take it away at no cost to you as my local charities could use that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast