+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Cost of replacing laptops in a lapsafe Smartline S trolley in Technical; Anyone thinking of puchasing a Lapsafe trolley please be aware than when you need to replace your laptops with new ...

Thank Post

Cost of replacing laptops in a lapsafe Smartline S trolley

Anyone thinking of puchasing a Lapsafe trolley please be aware than when you need to replace your laptops with new ones there is a hefty price to pay lapsafe to adjust your trolley accordinly to do this.

We have a Smartline S 30 trolley (holds and charges 30 laptops) and want to upgrade it with new HP laptops and have been quoted almost £750 ex vat for the work.

We are proceeding with the upgrade but will not be purchasing any more of the lapsafe trolleys in the future.

Trekmad

Thank Post

Re: Cost of replacing laptops in a lapsafe Smartline S trolley

Thanks for the heads up but its too late, we have already taken delivery of 2 of the things

I'm currently writing some documentation to go with the trolley, displaying basic set up instructions (well, as far as teachers are concerned with setting up anyway!) and also operating policies.

I'm thinking of organising training sessions for teachers when they return from the holidays to show them how to successfully operate the laptop trollies and get the most out of their lessons.

Thank Post

Re: Cost of replacing laptops in a lapsafe Smartline S troll

To give you further advice on our experence we have had the following problems.

1. Staff trapping charging cables in the doors slicing the cable.
    2. Staff leaving the network cable in place when they move the trolley not only damaging the cable but the socket in the classroom as well as the socket on the back of the trolley itself.
    3. Staff not plugging the trolley back in upon returning it to it's home. The next lesson then has laptops with dead batteries.

Trekmad

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

I have to admit that with a non lapsafe trolley that when I rolled it out initially had all the cables neatly secured over time they become less neat and start hanging out all over the place so much so that I ran over a cable got it wrapped around the castor and sliced it off.

Ben

Thank Post

Re: Cost of replacing laptops in a lapsafe Smartline S troll

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    I have to admit that with a non lapsafe trolley that when I rolled it out initially had all the cables neatly secured over time they become less neat and start hanging out all over the place so much so that I ran over a cable got it wrapped around the castor and sliced it off.

Ben
    I have done this before as well, on our previous laptop trolleys. Now the one we currently use has decided to buckle 2 wheels (Cheap RM Trolley @ £800ish) we are looking for a replacement, but Lapsafe quoted us £2900 for a new one...which is much too expensive

Can anyone recommend some trolleys that are really robust, and that can take a bit of a beating (rough ground in some places here).

Cheers

Thank Post

I don't like the way that some of the LapSafe trolleys cut the power to all of the chargers every time you open the door.

They tend to get left plugged in when the laptops are being taken out, so at the start and end of the lesson, the chargers must get toggled on and off at least 10 times! Can't do them any good.

Thank Post

@crc-it: The power only get killed to the side that you open the door of... it only toggels when locked too so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

@Pumaedition: Lapsafe sell a number of trolleys... I have a ChargeLine E for 30 laptops and IMHO it is the best thing on the market (I couldn't afford fancy charging modules, etc.). I have seen some shocking trolleys that bend, are made of wood, have el cheapo power strips stuffed in the back and more!

Thank Post
    We currently have a Lapsafe, it is about 5 years old now, however, looking into the upgrade of it, it appears you can have standard 3-pin wall sockets inside, removing the need for future upgrades.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    SmartLine trolleys use a Smart Charging System that does away with the use of multiple AC adaptors in the cabinet. This is what needed to be replaced when using different makes of laptops.

The ChargeLine makes use of the laptops own adaptor.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread