+ Post New Thread
Group Project Thread, Gauntlet thrown down to the coders. in Coding and Web Development; Right. Here's a challenge to all you coders out there. If one (or more) of you wish to accept. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gauntlet thrown down to the coders.

Right. Here's a challenge to all you coders out there. If one (or more) of you wish to accept. I want someone to create the EduGeek Bulk Do-er.
    It will be a GUI based program which will essentially do several simple tasks which currently involve horrible amounts of scripting.
    The program will:

Bulk create users from CSV or XML and import into an OU of choice.
    Bulk change passwords and other AD details (this is optional)

Bulk move files and folders whist retaining share and file permissions. This includes moving over a network. There must be a set of tick boxes as to what permissions are to be retained on the move. Great for server migrations.

Can anyone else suggest any other bulk jobs which can be added to the list?
    Anyone who manages to do this will receive a 'little' present for their troubles. the app and code will be release freely through EduGeek for further modification and improvement as time goes on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

language ?

Is there any preffered programming language that you would like this in or doesn't it matter ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not bothered. Its just that often, especially during the summer we have to do very large bulk jobs which shouldn't be as hard as they are. Lets make life easier for everyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Right. Here's a challenge to all you coders out there. If one (or more) of you wish to accept. I want someone to create the EduGeek Bulk Do-er.
    It will be a GUI based program which will essentially do several simple tasks which currently involve horrible amounts of scripting.
    The program will:

Bulk create users from CSV or XML and import into an OU of choice.
    Bulk change passwords and other AD details (this is optional)

Bulk move files and folders whist retaining share and file permissions. This includes moving over a network. There must be a set of tick boxes as to what permissions are to be retained on the move. Great for server migrations.

Can anyone else suggest any other bulk jobs which can be added to the list?
    Anyone who manages to do this will receive a 'little' present for their troubles. the app and code will be release freely through EduGeek for further modification and improvement as time goes on.
    What is the safest way of moving files and folders whilst retaining share and file permissions ( including over a network )

I haven't dealt with permissions much and would be good if there was a wiki or somewhere you could point me to so I can see how that is done.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I always used to use the XCOPY command. If there is a way of wrapping this into a GUI and setting all of the switches via a tick box system that should work.

Thank Post
    You can get a GUI version of Robocopy.

Thank Post
    just done a bit of research and came across this :

http://forums.techguy.org/networking...-secuirty.html

On the posts they are mentioning to use xcopy and permcopy, there is also robocopy but im not sure how these compare with regards to moving the shares across and also permissions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You can get a GUI version of Robocopy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/

Thank Post

Users into Ous

I don't know if this is of any use but my brother works at a college and at each enrollment time they have a the students come in and enroll which adds them into the student record system.

They then have a script which is triggered by a schedule which then takes them from a DB which has been taken from the Student record system (they cannot connect direct to it for some reason) and then creates the script to add them to the right OU, moves all the other users to the correct domain (not sure about the last bit) and creates the home dirs for the new users and then creates the correct permissions.

I will see if my brother can get hold of the scripts. Since he is the DBA and the consultants actually do the management of the network it may be difficult for him.

Thank Post
    *cough* use NTbackup to move files and retain file permissions as its faster and easier *cough*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's not the point. Teachers and less techically minded staff will use this too.

Thank Post
    You going to let teachers migrate servers themselves?!?! lol

[j/k]

Thank Post
    If this gets off the ground, I'd be interested in helping.
    In the last century I wrote a routine for adding users to NT server from a csv file. This was using Borland C++ Builder and the LanManager API.
    However I've been out of this business until a year or so ago and that was the last bit of serious code I wrote: so I'm very rusty!
    Having come back to IT support about a year ago, I've found the world has moved on beyond my wildest horrors and I've been struggling to catch up. Now, I'm starting to think I'd like to get back into programming, particularly to make some tools to help my network management tasks.
    I'm willing to have a go at whatever language people want to use, but my experience of Windows programming is with VB5 and C++Builder.

Regards. Don Brown, Aston Tower Primary School, B'ham.
    E: dbrown@astontower.bham.sch.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread