Some questions about....Green & Energy Efficent ICT
I am looking at 'Green' and energy efficient ICT networks.
I have a few questions I want to ask you all! Please answer honestly and PM the answers to me if you want to help anonymously.
1) When asked I'm sure everyone says that they agree with 'green' computing. But the last time you took on an IT project, can you remember consciously including the energy efficiency factor into your analysis or was it a case of..."thats what I need so I'll buy it"?
2) Green and Eco friendly systems benefit for two reasons - most obviously they will minimise impact on the environment but also as a by-product they will save money by using less electricity etc. Of these two, which is more appealing: a) the kudos and good publicity that comes with being able to claim that your organsation is ecologically aware and taking steps to minimise their carbon footprint or b) it comes down to the bottom line that you will be spending less on overheads - anything else is a bonus.
3) When was the last time you looked at your ICT to see how you could minimise ineffciencies and reduce wastage? I include things like encouraging staff to turn off monitors at night etc but I also mean in terms of the hardware that is used and they way the network itself is designed.
4) With government cuts in spending budgets, has this made you A) look for more cost effective ways of running your ICT or B) batten down the hatches and wait until more funds are available before a review is affordable.
5) Any other views, opinions or experience of implementing more energy efficient ICT systems would be gratefully recieved!
Thats it! the questions I would like you all to answer. I look forward to hearing your views, thoughts and feedback!