+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, WEEE Collection in Technical; Good Morning, Could anyone recommend a WEEE collection service for Somerset, I have a number of items that need to ...

Thank Post

WEEE Collection

Good Morning,

Could anyone recommend a WEEE collection service for Somerset, I have a number of items that need to be disposed including an old APC UPS blocking the door way.

Is there any service that will buy our old equipment from us?

Regrds

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I was in Minehead, I used DNA I.T Recycling.com - Home of Free collections! - Home for all our WEEE stuff.

They don't buy things, but they get rid of it all and it'll go to a good use afterwards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello! We can - PM your details and I will give you a call.

Chris

Thank Post
    @localzuk - I will take a look. @CPLTD - I will get some info over to you later today hopefully

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    @Millgate does it too

Thank Post

Secure IT Disposal

There are a number of companies offering free collections, ask yourself how they can offer this with no charge and whether by using them you are compliant with WEEE directives and Data Privacy laws.

Handing over a TFT or UPS raises a number of concerns as they fall firmly into the category of hazardous waste. It is worth checking with the Environment Agency to see if the recycler holds Waste Carrier AND Waste Management licenses. It only takes a few minutes.

Once this is done, what sort of paperwork will you receive? Most of these free recyclers will offer a Waste Transfer Note based purely on weight. So what happens if the items you handed over are found in a roadside ditch? Do you have an audit trail provided by a credble licensed recycler listing the serial number of the item you disposed of?

If a free collection is offered, how is the data disposed of? There is a massive fine being levied as we speak against an organisation who lost data even though a recycler was being used? It is your responsibility to vet your chsosen recycler.

The best advice would be to visit the ADISA website - Asset Disposal and Information Security Alliance and choose an accredited ITAD to handle your requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanks @IcexMalc some very good points I will take on boaRD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I shall hasten to add the above post is "with a vested interest" and that site does not represent the whole of certifiable companies that do this, so please don't limit yourself to what's on that list. Of course though the advise is sound: make sure checks are made beforehand!

Thank Post
    In response, there is very little vested interest as the initial enquiry is made by someone who appears to have a small disposal requirment and it would not be cost effective to use a company who are too far away.
    It is extremely important to use an accredited recycler, or to do an audit yourself prior to any collection taking place. Failure to carry out due dilligence is going to be seen as failure to manage the secure destruction of data according to the ICO. ADISA accredited members are recognised as having been audited by a credible organisation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, no argument intended, just trying to ensure you don't fall the wrong side of the forum rules

11. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

IcexMalc (2nd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone who has a WEEE collection through us is left with the relevant certification and the equipment is disposed of in the correct manor.
    @Hightower and @bladedanny and @Oaktech have all used us from Edugeek and were all happy.

Chris

Thank Post
    We've just had one this morning in fact. Super easy!

Thank Post
    I hope I am not being misunderstood. It is not my intention to start an argument, nor to discredit an organisation offering a compliant service. HOWEVER it is the responsibility of the asset owner to carry out due dilligence on the company they hand over their WEEE and data to. Failure to carry out checks leaves the asset owner (company AND employee) vulnerable to prosecution. I am sure you are handling the disposals compliantly but do you offer your clients copies of your Waste Carrier AND Waste management licenses? In fact, they should insist on these. Do you get vetted on the data destruction procedures you use?
    Too many IT Asset Managers think a simple Waste Transfer Note relieves them of their responsibilites and Duty Of Care, it is important that everyone understands this is not the case.

Thank Post
    We have been sent copies of our waste carriers licenses, we get a waste transfer note from the carrier at the time of collection, and the collecting driver signs, and gets a copy of, a sheet we create with the serial numbers/model/manufacturer on it, and then in due course we recieve a certificate of compliant destruction with the serial numbers on it. I hope that is sufficient.

It is worth noting that this is only for desktop equipment and other weee, we do not recycle complete server hard drives with a waste carrier, nor do we recycle the hard drives of the head, executive head or other senior staff. These are wiped by us using a commercially available software and then destroyed, as in with a big hammer, the broken down components are then recycled. Its an excellent stress relief as well.

16. 2 Thanks to Oaktech:

CPLTD (3rd April 2012), IcexMalc (3rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    yes....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread