+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Papercut copy deteciton on server 2008 R2 in Technical; Is there a known issue with Papercut detecting iffy copies on 2008 R2? Migrated over from Server 2003 to 2008 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries

Papercut copy deteciton on server 2008 R2

Is there a known issue with Papercut detecting iffy copies on 2008 R2?

Migrated over from Server 2003 to 2008 R2. Everything went across OK however for some reason if someone prints 8 copies of 1 page, Papercut allows it (more than 3 copies are set to be blocked, this worked before)- it logs that 1 copy at 8 pages has been printed!

Tested this with a few programs and it's true on just about everything. Office 2010 on our PCs do it, 2003 on the clients do it

Any clues?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been playing with the free version on there and have noticed its only picking up a few of the print jobs, when im sat next to the printer and know full well whats coming out!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, its picking up kids logins but only one staff member....maybe i install her differently.. *scratches head* anyway back to OP..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Hmm, its picking up kids logins but only one staff member....maybe i install her differently.. *scratches head* anyway back to OP..
    PaperCut works by monitoring print queues and knowing who is printing what.
    A print queue can be installed multiple times for the same printer so if you have people installing a local copy of the print queue papercut by default wont know about it (its monitoring the print queue on the server it is installed on)..
    as for 1st question - i'd ask a bunch of questions and ask you to collect some logs but that is better suited to you emailing support@papercut.com
    i would provide details on your setup (version and OS) + what printers you have
    also make sure advanced printing features are disabled on the driver.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Done and done, just wanted to see if anyone else had issues too - I like asking community before bothering official support lines

Oddly enough it "just started working" once we did "something". That something is literally nothing other than fiddling with our own local print drivers then the server started behaving. Maybe it took a while for earlier changes (such as the advanced print drivers) to take effect. Will spend more time on it tomorrow

Thank Post
    Hi Synaesthsia,

We have the same problem using the HP Universal Driver. What 'fiddling' did you do? Hopefully we can sort this issue out to.

Mark @ Kingsmead

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrompton01 View Post
    Hi Synaesthsia,

We have the same problem using the HP Universal Driver. What 'fiddling' did you do? Hopefully we can sort this issue out to.

Mark @ Kingsmead
    This can occasionally be caused by a couple of settings on the specific print queue, namely "Advanced printing features" and "Bi-Directional Support". papercut have details on how to change these settings here:

PaperCut KB | Disabling Advanced Printing Features
    PaperCut KB | Fixing Print Spooler Crashes - improving print spooler stability

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Already cleared those. In the end it just worked, we suspect it might have taken a little time for the above to take effect. The new print server seems EXTREMELY slow syncing to AD so this may have an affect on it.

Really rather happy with it otherwise, now just trying to fight one printer which keeps it's jobs logged "Sent to printer" on Server 2008, not PC related

Thank Post
    12.1 has been released this morning so it may fix your issues (although there is nothing specific to your issue in the release notes) - may be worth a punt though...

Thank Post
    I am new to papercut and am currently running Papercut MF 12.5 in trial mode. I seem to be having the same issue that @synaesthesia had at the start of this thread i.e. it won't stop multiple copies even though I have set the rule on the printer

I have disabled the advanced printing features and the printer I am testing on is a HP P2015n using its latest PCL6 driver (not universal HP).

Anybody have any suggestions?? Ta

Thank Post
    Double check your settings are done correctly. Make sure that it's picking up the user that you're printing as correctly (best thing is to set up an AD sync in the Admin section of PaperCut). Then hopefully, it should start behavining. The other thing I would suggest is to set up the template printer too with the settings just to make sure it's not trying to create a new printer with null settings in it.

Lastly, I've found that the PaperCut Client is a little gem too, so I'd recommend deploying that if you're using PaperCut fully (you can either deploy an local install MSI or you can simply get a startup script to call the client to run from the server). Also, I would only buy MF if you're planning on integrating it with your photocopiers and such too - and double check your copiers are supported, otherwise, just buy Papercut NG. Does all the same stuff, it just doesn't integrate with copiers and such and costs a fair bit less, and you can always upgrade fairly cheaply to MF should you find you need that in the future.

Thank Post
    We already have Papercut MF purchased in the school and is being used on the photocopiers We are wanting to also use it for our printers as we have a paid for license for 5 years and for up to 2000 users (which covers us). I have cleared this with our supplier so I know I'm ok with that.

I have sent debug logs off to Papercut themselves so will see what they say. I will try the template printer settings though as I didn't do anything on that. I am running the Client software, using a script to run it from a share. This is also early days as I only have one client machine and one printer set up in my test environment

Thank Post
    OK this is driving me nuts!

Papercut have told me that multiple copies are being allowed due to the way the HP Universal Print driver handles the page count. For example, instead of seeing ABCx3 it sees ABCABCABC.

The thing is I am NOT using the universal driver! I am using model specific. I have also tried the same thing on a Ricoh 3400n and am getting the same results. Surely this must be a common problem?? If I can't stop multiple copies of documents from printing then this software will be of no use to me.

I have tried disabling advanced features on the printer driver and also turned off the b-directional support. Can anybody suggest anything else? Cheers

Thank Post
    We are getting paper cut...

I see trouble ahead

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    OK this is driving me nuts!

Papercut have told me that multiple copies are being allowed due to the way the HP Universal Print driver handles the page count. For example, instead of seeing ABCx3 it sees ABCABCABC.

The thing is I am NOT using the universal driver! I am using model specific. I have also tried the same thing on a Ricoh 3400n and am getting the same results. Surely this must be a common problem?? If I can't stop multiple copies of documents from printing then this software will be of no use to me.

I have tried disabling advanced features on the printer driver and also turned off the b-directional support. Can anybody suggest anything else? Cheers
    A few simple things to check would be:
    1. do any filters / restrictions work on any print queues?
    2. Are you only applying filters / restrictions to restricted users or certain groups of users ?
    3. Is papercut tracking the print jobs (check user and print history)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread