+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Photo printing wizard and resize solution needed in Technical; I'm beginning to get very fustrated with the windows integrated printing wizard which is the complete opsite for every single ...

Thank Post

Photo printing wizard and resize solution needed

I'm beginning to get very fustrated with the windows integrated printing wizard which is the complete opsite for every single other member of staff here that has no clue as to what is happening.

Teachers throughout the school are constantly printing pictures as part of pupils work. the nursey use photos on a daily basis as evidence so they hammer the print server. now the problem is because they start off a high res pictures when they select the picture they want to print they use the included print wizard on win XP and recently win 7 since their new machine is win 7.

the acctual problem is they Hog ~ 800mb - 1.8GB~ on average for each set of prints of about 6 - 8 pages using wallet size layouts.

The printing wizard is essentially a good idea but its useless if it's going to send full resolution picture to the print server.
    If you view a print job of about 6 pages, depending on how many photos per page the job is about 800mb so their workstation is using nearly 100% of the network capacity

This causes other staffs jobs to be delayed and makes webbrowsing slow to a CRAWL not to mention all sorts of other timeout across the network..
    because this is teachers we are talking about and forgive me if teachers are readining but they simply want everything simple and I honestly have no desire to teach them how to resize photos before seding them to the printer.

What I'm looking for is a replacement for the photo printing wizard, somthing that will convert, and provide layouts with as few clicks as possible.
    sure I could set all their cameras to low res but that makes the cameras useless for a vast majority of picture taking that doesnt get printed.

This might seem like a lot to ask for but it's making me look like a fool and I havnt done anything wrong but how do I tell 50 members of staff they have no clue whats going on.

rant over

really appreciate any help on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if it would do the resizing, you'd have to experiment - but perhaps Powerpoint? You can use Insert > Photo Album to add all the photos in a folder (or a selection etc.) then print 9 slides to a page.

EDIT: certainly doing that in Powerpoint, then saving as PDF, then printing that would reduce the file size. May be too many steps though.

Thank Post
    it's not the file size thats the issue really, I find it shocking to see a few pictues of say a few hundred KB's to 1 - 2 MB's once it goes through the spooling process the print job equates to the huge sizes I mentioned.

thoes are in probably too many steps but i'd propably get better results if they just batched converted them but thats the issue. trying to teach the teachers somthing in time I dont have and giving them an extra step will make them get cranky especially if they are just going to continu using the ineffficent windows pinting wizzard.

If the wizard had some way of resizing the pictures before it created the print job then it would proably work great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRiot View Post
    it's not the file size thats the issue really, I find it shocking to see a few pictues of say a few hundred KB's to 1 - 2 MB's once it goes through the spooling process the print job equates to the huge sizes I mentioned.

thoes are in probably too many steps but i'd propably get better results if they just batched converted them but thats the issue. trying to teach the teachers somthing in time I dont have and giving them an extra step will make them get cranky especially if they are just going to continu using the ineffficent windows pinting wizzard.

If the wizard had some way of resizing the pictures before it created the print job then it would proably work great.
    Batch conversion is fairly easy using Irfanview if you write them a one pager on how to do it with screenshots in... if you dress it up as a time-saving process - yes, you're going through a few more clicks, but your print job will appear in 3 minutes not 30 - then you might win them over easier.

File size does have a bearing on spooled size - saving to PDF will (should) resize & compress the images so that sending that to the printer would be a smaller job in the queue. You're not the only one to suffer with this - photography students are a pain when saving 50 12 megapixel images of the same thing and a pain again when they print it out using the wizard!

Thank Post
    if somthing simpler doesnt come along sooner then I'll have to do this. the only problem with batch conversion apart from it confusing the shit out of staff, they'll end up with duplicate pictures of 2 different resolutions because they dont understand the concept of FILES USE DISK SPACE!!

Thank Post
    We have a batch resizer called fotosizer, with a couple of changes it will overwrite the original files.

Thank Post
    try these image resizing tools which integrate into the right click menu in explorer.
    Image Resizer for Windows - Home
    Free Image Resizer | Resize Image Easily Quickly -

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread