+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Papercut Secondary server in Technical; Sorry if this isn't the right forum, Couldn't decide which one to put it in. We recently installed Papercut v12 ...
    BJC

Thank Post

Papercut Secondary server

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, Couldn't decide which one to put it in.

We recently installed Papercut v12 on our member server which works perfectly but we've now installed it as a secondary print server on all computers with a locally attached printer. It installs fine and the log reports that it is connected to the primary server but after about 5 minutes it looses connection and never gets it back. Therefore never reports any printing.

This is on an RM CC4 network, Server 2003 member server with XP workstations.

However if we install the secondary print server on a Windows 7 workstation it works fine.

Anyone got any idea what could be causing it? I wasn't planning to roll out windows 7 until Summer and could do with getting this sorted before the new financial year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi Ben,

PaperCut seems to work fine with RM CC3/CC4 but i personally have noticed an issue like yours at a school before.
    They had installed the secondary server service on a XP box, the printers from the XP machine would show up in the main Admin UI but it would not log any print jobs.

Now i have no idea what is in CC3/CC4 (never used it) so i asked the IT staff at this site if they could turn off any firewalls so we could troubleshoot this. With the firewalls of the problem remained, i then looked into AV software as some of those sometimes sneaky in their own firewalls (trend for example) so we disabled that but the problem remained. I then managed to gain remote access to the XP machine and looked in the "services" and noticed a long list of RM services running. One of these services was called like "network services.." i really cant remember but what it seemed to be doing was blocking any unusual traffic in and out of the machines. PaperCut does a lot of stuff over 9191 so as soon as we disabled this service everything worked.
    sorry i cant remember the name of the service but perhaps have a look and see if anything jumps out at you. I expect you can tell the service/program to stop worrying about 9191

3. Thanks to Big_Ted from:

BJC (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ted View Post
    Hi Ben,

PaperCut seems to work fine with RM CC3/CC4 but i personally have noticed an issue like yours at a school before.
    They had installed the secondary server service on a XP box, the printers from the XP machine would show up in the main Admin UI but it would not log any print jobs.

Now i have no idea what is in CC3/CC4 (never used it) so i asked the IT staff at this site if they could turn off any firewalls so we could troubleshoot this. With the firewalls of the problem remained, i then looked into AV software as some of those sometimes sneaky in their own firewalls (trend for example) so we disabled that but the problem remained. I then managed to gain remote access to the XP machine and looked in the "services" and noticed a long list of RM services running. One of these services was called like "network services.." i really cant remember but what it seemed to be doing was blocking any unusual traffic in and out of the machines. PaperCut does a lot of stuff over 9191 so as soon as we disabled this service everything worked.
    sorry i cant remember the name of the service but perhaps have a look and see if anything jumps out at you. I expect you can tell the service/program to stop worrying about 9191
    That'd probably be RM Network Monitor Service then.

There's an update, DWN1781986, which fixes certain applications which are affected by this service. Might be worth speaking to RM about the issue you're facing and see whether there is a way to exclude the port? Rather than disable the service altogether.

5. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

BJC (1st February 2012)

BJC

Thank Post
    Thanks Guys, it is the RM Network Monitor Service. I disabled it and it worked straight away. The service seems to be running from C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Auditor\Network Monitor.

We never use Auditor as it never seemed to work properley so i uninstalled it from a workstation but the service remained as it's a default system package which i don't think you can remove.

Does anyone know if this is definitely only related to auditor or will disabling the service cause other problems? I might completely uninstall auditor and see if it removes the service from system packages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    Thanks Guys, it is the RM Network Monitor Service. I disabled it and it worked straight away. The service seems to be running from C:\Program Files\Research Machines\Auditor\Network Monitor.

We never use Auditor as it never seemed to work properley so i uninstalled it from a workstation but the service remained as it's a default system package which i don't think you can remove.

Does anyone know if this is definitely only related to auditor or will disabling the service cause other problems? I might completely uninstall auditor and see if it removes the service from system packages.
    This isn't installed with Auditor, from what I can see. We don't run Auditor yet this service is present.

I'd say raise a call with RM if you have a valid support agreement as this is a fix that is needed IMO. The service shouldn't interfere with ports.

BJC

Thank Post
    I don't have a direct support contract with RM so i've raised it with our county support who can then raise it with RM on my behalf. I also can't access DWN1781986 to see if that works as i don't have sufficient rights.

The reason it works on Windows 7 must be because that service doesn't exist on our Windows 7 workstations.

BJC

Thank Post
    All Sorted.

There's an RM update (CC4UPD093) which installs a new version of the RM Network Monitor service. Once this is installed on the workstations papercut works fine.

The update is only available upon request, it's not with the others to download.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread