+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Recycling old machiness for free? in Technical; Hi guys, I've got aload of old machines, monitors, keyboards etc that need desposing of. I was just wondering if ...
    Thank Post

Recycling old machiness for free?

Hi guys,

I've got aload of old machines, monitors, keyboards etc that need desposing of. I was just wondering if any one knows of any companies that will recycle them free of charge in the Kent area.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

We may be able to offer you some money for them. Can you email me a list of what you have?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    We prm green who take stuff for free.

Ben

Thank Post
    We use prm as well, i think you need a minimum of 30 devices before they will collect. We normally get a free mug as well :-)

Steve

Thank Post
    Next time you guys are getting rid of old kit, give me a shout. May be able to buy things off you! Get some money fir it instead of giving it away. Just depends on what kit

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We prm green who take stuff for free.

Ben
    We use these also - they tend to have a minimum of 30 qualified items required, but if they are in the area they will collect if you have smaller numbers.

Thank Post
    Stone computers also do a free service if you have over 25 items. See link Stone Computers - Computers, Computer Equipment

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also remember that what might be old kit to some is usable classroom machines / replacement parts to others. You would be surprised how eager some people are to take items of your hands.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I wipe the disks (curriculum network, everything saved on server, not admin so no sensitive data) and offer them to other local schools or put them on Freecycle. I have given away loads of kit to people who build machines for old people, or as therapy.
    I also get given kit on the same basis locally - Netman has been great over the years -his old kit has kept my second IT suite going and he has just donated some machines to a local first school who really needed them.

Thank Post
    Used PRM Greentech a few times without problem. However had a bad experience before the summer. Basically we had 7 PC’s, 12 laptops, 12 CRT’s and 6 projectors. they were going to collect. Unfortunately someone stole the laptops and projectors the night before.

When PRM Greentech arrived they didn't take a thing as it didnt match their list. I got the impression they were only interested in "high value" stuff, ie laptops and projectors. So now we are still stuck with these CRT monitors and base units.

PRMs response was "On the sheet was the following items.

7 PC’s, 12 laptops, 12 CRT’s, 6 projectors.

"To insure that our nationwide free service continues , we require at the time of booking correct numbers this ensures that we can physically get the collection on the van and also as a business we can plan our sales strategy.

As you can appreciate we turn up to many schools were the staff/parents have taken ICT equipment, this puts the whole business model in jeopardy and also if the laptops/base units have any personal data on them you will receive a massive fine from the ICO.

Please all I would like ask you to do in the future is to reiterate to your school how important it is to give you the correct numbers otherwise this service will be forced to stop"

I see their point, but why come all this way and not take a thing??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    An update to this - Stone now charge if the equipment doesn't work. If they can make money off it they will offset your charge against what they can make.

I'd get in touch with them before putting a request through. Here is the text which explains it all:

We appreciate in times of austerity customers need to look at any revenue opportunity, so to remain in kilter with the market we will be introducing the following changes with effect from Monday 12th September;-
    1. Financial rebates for all working equipment that meets our specification;
    2. A scale of charges for the collection and processing of equipment not supplied by Stone.
    The charging structure will not apply to Stone Group products (Stone, Compusys & Rock brands), nor to those customers with existing recycling contracts.
    Customers returning working equipment that has been handled and stored appropriately will be rewarded financially at the expense of those using our service as a substitute for a waste disposal contract.
    The Link: Stone Group IT Recycling

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread