+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Network Controlled Power Sockets in Technical; Hi everyone, I am trying to find equipment that will allow me to centrally control power sockets. What I would ...
    dsm

Thank Post

Network Controlled Power Sockets

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find equipment that will allow me to centrally control power sockets. What I would like to do is have a piece of software that allows me to turn power off at certain electric sockets.

I have found this solution so far: BBS Online - Overview

This appears to be basically what I want. Hopefully it also allows me to set up schedules, e.g. 'power down all projectors at 5.30p.m.'

Does anyone know of any other solutions? I have thought about individually managed timers but these will be a nightmare to re-configure once deployed.

Regards

Thank Post
    I may be missing something but wouldn't that just "dead switch" the projectors? :P Not power them down? Same with computers etc.

Do you actually want them "totally off", or just powered down?

Steve

dsm

Thank Post
    A projector was just an example, I would like to use the product for many applications. It would be ideal to have a central control to power off projectors, copiers, printers and many other devices. It would save an awful lot of money and make for an easily manageable system.

I would like to fully cut the power to these devices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cutting the power to a projector while it is on is dangerous for lamp life, better to get projectors with ethernet ports or serial ports with serial to ethernet adapters so you can centrally control them that way.

At least before you kill the mains to it.

dsm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Cutting the power to a projector while it is on is dangerous for lamp life, better to get projectors with ethernet ports or serial ports with serial to ethernet adapters so you can centrally control them that way.

Ok, forgot the projector bit. Can we focus on the question?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some people on here doing something simmilar have used the load sensing 4-way boxes that power off the rest of the sockets if the first device is powered down. Not a solution for all areas but could work for some.

I think it was @localzuk that had implemented these.

dsm

Thank Post
    Hi SYNACK,

Thank you. I've seen these and I think they would be ideal to plug a computer into so that pheripherals would automatically have their power cut - monitors, speakers etc.

However, I'd like a centrally managed control system for other devices. Something that I can program to power off printers at 4p.m. for example but then still have the central control for when parents' evenings come along, that sort of thing.

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are really talking about two solutions to some extent. The first is about ensuring devices are turned on or off at specific times, device control systems ... and there are plenty of those about whether they are RS-232 based, WoL based or with built in software (have a look at X10 as this gives a wide range of options)

The other is the power control section of Building Management solutions, where you can control the power to simple electrical devices or to power access units (plug sockets, fused spurs, whole rings, etc).

They can go hand in hand to some extent, but it is risky to go for power control without ensuring you have device control first. The discussions above above the projector is a perfect example of this.

The costs of implementing power control and BM solutions can sometimes only be worth it if you are having a significant refurb or are building a new school. Retro-fitting can be costly and it takes years to recoup the investment ... but if you are doing it for PR or due to a real want to lower carbon footprint then it can be worth it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some people on here doing something simmilar have used the load sensing 4-way boxes that power off the rest of the sockets if the first device is powered down. Not a solution for all areas but could work for some.

I think it was @localzuk that had implemented these.
    If people are thinking about these the health and safety of my last school said we where not allowed to used 4-way boxes / gang plugs, extensions etc and everything had to be plugged into a wall socket.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If people are thinking about these the health and safety of my last school said we where not allowed to used 4-way boxes / gang plugs, extensions etc and everything had to be plugged into a wall socket.
    Interesting, we are allowed one per wall socket. If we couldn't do that in some of my schools we could only have the two computers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

Surely easier way for the projector(s) is going through each projector using said remote and setting the power save settings correctly so if it is not being used within x amount of time to power it off after which it should do in the correct manor ie powering it down once the bulb etc has cooled down or after 5 mins etc ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Surely easier way for the projector(s) is going through each projector using said remote and setting the power save settings correctly so if it is not being used within x amount of time to power it off after which it should do in the correct manor ie powering it down once the bulb etc has cooled down or after 5 mins etc ??
    I like to do both, that way you get two shots at it and you also get awesome stuff like central power on/off, lamp reporting even network projecting with certain models.

Thank Post
    Looking at the cost of the bye bye stanby controllers and accessories it will take you a heck of a long time to recoup the investment. Also it seems to be a device aimed at the home user and I doubtt it would support hundreds of devices in a school.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    it will take you a heck of a long time to recoup the investment
    My thoughts entirely when I looked at this - projectors etc should be set to turn off after x minutes inactivity, likewise the PCs, photocopiers are the caretaker's job as he locks/unlocks each day. Equipment on idle or standby uses so little power that there is no financial saving to be had from timer sockets or other devices which cut power. There are obviously an environmental and PR benefits, mind you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread