+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Energy Dashboard software not working from a shared location in Technical; Hi Everyone, I have read some of the previous posts on the Energy Display meter but they all seem to ...

Thank Post

Question Energy Dashboard software not working from a shared location

Hi Everyone,
    I have read some of the previous posts on the Energy Display meter but they all seem to concentrate on the actual device, has nobody had it working at all?

I've had them installed successfully in several schools but cannot get the software to work from a shared location.

it seems to be a basic web page that uses a java applet to connect to the meter, so theoretically it should be movable......not so it appears and it gets even worse if you are using IE7.

If you move the location of the source files it stops automatically detecting the device and in IE7 the page just loops trying to detect it. In chrome you do get a prompt asking for the direct ip address but this is not a browser we use on the network.

What I dont understand is that with the installation being pretty dumb and not indicating the network address of the meter why does it complain when moved?

Im kinda stuck, any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Just had mine installed this morning and with a little hacking have the dashboard working fine across the school, being served up from an idle IIS install. I only have IE8, Firefox and Chrome to hand, so IE7 may still play up, but I'll explain what I did...

The main app is an Adobe Flex thing and the Java applet is actually just a detection app which sends as subnet broadcast on UDP/2317 to detect the data logger (An EnergyICT WebRTU Z3, in case anyone cares). If your network has more than one subnet (and you don't have UDP helper running) or there's a firewall in the way, the meter won't necessarily be detected automatically, I assume this is what's happening in your case.

So, assuming you know the IP of the meter (its MAC probably starts with 00:24) , you won't need the Java Applet to load at all and can just fake the XML response it provides - getting the thing to work across subnets and making the page load a fair bit quicker.

The attached index.html should help you out - just replace "INSERT_YOUR_METER_IP_HERE" and "INSERT_YOUR_SERIAL_HERE" in the getRTUs() JavaScript function with the IP and serial number of your meter and it should work (and remember to clear the cache in IE before reloading the page).

You can get the serial number of your meter by going to its built in web server (serial should be in the format nnnn-nnnnnn-nnnn).

index.zip

Chris.

3. 2 Thanks to ChrisCole:

BigRed (17th February 2011), SimpleSi (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Chris,

I will give this a go because the issue with IE7 was that it didn't load the window to manually input the ip.

The only thing i find really strange is that it detects the meter automatically if installed directly on the machine but as soon as i move the location of the files it looses it.

Thanks alot for the workaround thats gonna help me out loads as we 've got around 5 sites with these on, waiting for a network point to be installed nearby

Thank Post
    Hi Chris

I want to serve the energy meter to the school via IIS so it is available via any web browser..

I have used your index file and filled in the blanks.

In IIS I've setup a new site called EnergyMeter and pointed it to the new Index file you provided.

I've set the IP address up as the same one the energy meter is running on - is that correct?

Also are there any other IIS settings I need to adjust to get the site served?

I can't get it to work but it's probably something simple that I've done wrong...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi Chris,

I am still having issues with the meter and havent been able to make it work from a shared location. It only seems to work if I install application directly on the machine. I tried your Index file with the preloaded settings but it still doesnt work. just gets stuck at the "Detecting Logger" bit. But if I install the app directly it works fine.

any suggestions? could it be the browser stopping JS?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread