+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Value of "scrap" PCs in Technical; With the scrap metal prices leaping up are our old computers actually worth more than "we'll take 'em off your ...
    Thank Post

Value of "scrap" PCs

With the scrap metal prices leaping up are our old computers actually worth more than "we'll take 'em off your hands for nowt, guv and we're doing you the favour"?

I was hoping to unload about 60 working Celerons to pupils, but regulations prevent me from doing so.

An offhand remark to a supplier led them to offer me 300 for them - complete with proper disposal documentation and data deletion.

What do you think?

Thank Post
    I would go for it, but check what you're school says as often there's the thing that if you sell something that you originally paid VAT on (whether it's looked after by your county finance team or actually paid by the school direct) that you have to actually charge VAT on the subsequent sale of those goods.

I only know limited facts, but it's what stopped my school selling the odd machine off to staff when I did a large upgrade last summer.

I mean, 5 / machine is probably more than you'd get at weighing them in, so it's worth a look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I would go for it, but check what you're school says as often there's the thing that if you sell something that you originally paid VAT on (whether it's looked after by your county finance team or actually paid by the school direct) that you have to actually charge VAT on the subsequent sale of those goods.
    You only charge VAT on the sale price - not the price you bought it for. 20% on a fiver shouldn't be a problem...

Thank Post
    When I looked into disposing of old pc's to students I think the issue was a health and safety one. There was a concern about what would happen if that pc caught fire and burned down the students house.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You only charge VAT on the sale price - not the price you bought it for. 20% on a fiver shouldn't be a problem...
    I know .. just the paper work involved and if the school can be bothered with it .. I know it's our Bursar that said no to it because of the paperwork .. I realise that the 20% only makes it 6 and it's not money the school sees, but then you've got to have the logs in place ..

I was just saying check as it might be too much hassle for the school as they have to factor in the time of the person who is processing the sale and is that going to cost more than 300 or less than, and if less than, is it worth directing the effort from other tasks ..

Thank Post
    From a moral point of view is it not possible to sling Linux on them look at the list of hard up families and give them to the most deserving students on the proviso they sign a disclaimer to say they are not going to sue the school if the computer catches fire.

Thank Post
    We disposed of all our IT "rolling stock" as it were when our old building shut down and we moved in here. 90% Dell, all collected, lined up in a room, tested, left with disclaimers attached. Staff were free to come and take one each, as long as the disclaimer was signed to say "I acknowledge I have no comeback and by picking this up, it becomes my property and my sole responsibility, with no liability to the academy in any shape".

Best way to dispose of all the PCs ever. Most are still going strong in staff homes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    With the scrap metal prices leaping up are our old computers actually worth more than "we'll take 'em off your hands for nowt, guv and we're doing you the favour"?

I was hoping to unload about 60 working Celerons to pupils, but regulations prevent me from doing so.

An offhand remark to a supplier led them to offer me 300 for them - complete with proper disposal documentation and data deletion.

What do you think?
    If you still have these I would suggest that you look at converting them into virtual desktops for use with Terminal Services 2003 or Remote Desktop Services 2008.

You would need to buy a TS or RDS cal for each user (under 3 per user last time I checked), and you should be able to get at least another 5-10 years out of them. And yes...the energy savings over running traditional PCs will easily cover the cost of a new Terminal Server to run them.

As long as the machines have a 400Mhz CPU and at least 32Mb/64Mb of RAM, these machines are still useable.

JasonM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    We disposed of all our IT "rolling stock" as it were when our old building shut down and we moved in here. 90% Dell, all collected, lined up in a room, tested, left with disclaimers attached. Staff were free to come and take one each, as long as the disclaimer was signed to say "I acknowledge I have no comeback and by picking this up, it becomes my property and my sole responsibility, with no liability to the academy in any shape".

Best way to dispose of all the PCs ever. Most are still going strong in staff homes.
    Not a bad ole idea, I did think of that myself. My only concern is they will still come back and haunt you with any problems. Did anyone bring anything back to you?

Thank Post
    This company offers 50 for every ten computers:

PC Recycling | Computer Recycling | Computer Disposal

Thank Post
    Why not recycle them for free .... they can allways made a donation.

Thank Post
    Give them to Computer Aid, OK doesn't make money back but the school gets a nice certificate and chance to show we're all doing "our bit" and you know the kit will get used again

Thank Post
    You could trade them in with RM and save money on new RM One's. From reading the terms and conditions they just have to be working, I haven't seen anything that states a minimum specification.
    ScrapIT

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread