+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Green Computing Thread, Stop Printing... in Technical; I just thought I would share a great Green technique we have come up with in school. We no longer ...

Thank Post

Stop Printing...

I just thought I would share a great Green technique we have come up with in school. We no longer allow students to print in ICT.

As the submission of coursework is moving to electronic format we now only allow the PDF convertor to 'print' to a file.

So far it has saved us a fortune in toners and paper in one half term alone. Not sure if other departments will adopt this yet, but it is certainly working for us.

2. Thanks to Progeniga from:

jmair (11th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    We did this when we changed to Windows 7 and the Epson printer would no longer work. They can print to a printer in another room but the IT teacher works on a 'no printing' stance and it works like a charm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Doesn't quite work that easily - ICT courses at secondary say you HAVE to print the documents and keep in a folder!

Toby

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Doesn't quite work that easily - ICT courses at secondary say you HAVE to print the documents and keep in a folder!

Toby
    jokes init.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    jokes init.
    yep especially when the people before us got the biggest printers possible that cost over 400 quid to replace the toner!

Thank Post
    we are getting rid of most of ours.

Thank Post
    we have got loads - got papercut though so people can actually see how much it costs - although we don't charge them - just makes them think thats going to cost me 15p rather then the photocopier which will cost me 1p they tend to walk a little further to the photocopier!

Thank Post
    were getting pcounter, departmentally they will be charged. but they will be printing to the photocopiers. cards / keypad to pick up there printing.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately as discussed Printing in classes sometimes cannot be avoided - but with full support for a system like Papercut it will work a charm. We moved all our Photocopiers to Papercut and we now have a standardized method of charging.

I would love to rip every printer out and put a big MFD/photocopier on every floor!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    With eportfolios and I believe digital submitting to our exam board we could do that too.

Thank Post
    we have it setup so that they appear to be charged through papercut although they are then not charged like that - its just for getting it into there heads it costs money. Each department pays for the cartridges for there printers. the only department which cant handle their budget properly.... business studies!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post

Toby
    Does it say it must be printed once completed? could you not wait till the end them print them all in one batch when they are near perfect (and could also do it in duplex to save paper)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Does it say it must be printed once completed? could you not wait till the end them print them all in one batch when they are near perfect (and could also do it in duplex to save paper)?
    Its all split into units then into tasks - so they start unit 1 task1 then complete all that work - print it then put it in there folder and so on with each unit. The teacher marks at the end of each unit once already printed. There are loads of units and tasks inside which equates to between 100 and 150 pages for complete evidence. If we start giving to much advice we just get told that this is the way they have to do it blah blah blah. (this teacher in particular does not look advice being given to him) plus this is the department that chose the most expensive printer before i arrived - and it doesn't do duplex printing AFAIK! they would probly say that they cant do it for some stupid reason. And they will not print to the photocopier those pages that are mono as the students can't leave the classroom rah rah rah from the teacher involved! its literally 1.5m from his classroom door - SLT have said students in that department can leave if it means cost savings etc. but he is on his high horse.

1. I wouldn't have purchased those printers (HP CP3525n)
    2. I would make them print to photocopiers.
    3. I would make the staff mark the work while its on the computers to save printing to many pages etc (they have read access to students areas)
    4. I would shoot the member of staff in charge of the department

Thank Post
    I was just looking through this, and then I opened a file I was just emailed in Word and it said. "Welcome to reading layout" what a coinsidence!
    I agree a ridiculous amount of stuff does get printed, particularly for things like ICT course work, where I've come across teachers who will only look at stuff if a printed copy is handed in, although am I the only one who finds about half way thyrough a day of staring at a screen of text my eyes feel like there melting?

Thank Post
    We have this in ICT also. The worst thing is that 80% of the page printed is taken up by screenshots!!! "Oh it has to be in colour!"

The kids find the ICT course mind bendingly boring just print screening into word all day no wonder they play up!

Have set the driver to default to draft and double sided on the server before sharing the printer but the setting does not reliably "stick". Also once the end user changes the preferences it stays that way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast