+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Green Computing Thread, No air-con in my new server room ......!!!! in Technical; Here we go Liquid Cooling for Data Centers easy, now they just need to add in the 10s of thousands ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here we go Liquid Cooling for Data Centers easy, now they just need to add in the 10s of thousands of dollars for the eco system.

Personally I would just laugh at them and ask who they were employing to sit there and hold the door open/guard the room to they could actually be switched on during the day.

Open air cooling is all very well but what about stuff like bugs, twigs, excess moisture, pollutants that will happily flow in with this air and jam inside the servers reducing their lifespan and stability. What if some kid desides its a good place to squeese a sipper bottle full of coke into, this happened to one server room I worked with - no ac and a two part barn door left half open during the day. By the time we cleaned up the mess and recovered one of the switches they decided that AC may well be a good investment.

Thank Post
    I'd agree, a well designed air exchange for server room would work on all but the warmest of days (anything I reckon over 25oC ambient would be a problem).

But its that well designed bit that's the issue here. If these edicts from on high are going to say no air-con, they need to ensure architects consult with the right people who know how to implement these systems.

The building I'm involved with is 90% complete - with server room and no air-con. And as of yet we have no idea what equipment will even be in the building, so how the cooling could be calculated I have no idea.

Thank Post
    Good luck with that one steve.

<BOFH> Put a couple of 2kw heaters in there and leave on for a few days then take the project manager in and lock him for an hour. </BOFH>

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions about ways to survive without air con .... I had no idea it could be feasibly done so it's quite interesting. Sorry I haven't been back to comment on my initial thread earlier, we've had a few slight issues with our server (I say slight, it's needed a complete rebuild) but I do appreciate all the ideas and think we could have a look at some of these - if the head will listen.

Thank Post
    I'll put you in touch with the (external) mechanical engineer who did our new build - I provided hardware/heast specs (with some added on for future) and asked for a modest air con unit for the server room. He came back and had fitted 2x monster AC units that are split/duty shared!! And if one fails, the other one kicks in. Neat system, needless to say, we no longer have green cred

Thank Post
    We run what is in the process of being certified as the most energy efficient datacentre in the country, in terms of cooling. We have saved literally tens of thousands of pounds of energy costs by using a very clever 'freecooling' air exchange system. No compressors and no condensors. I'd strong reccomend getting in touch with Alan at EcoCooling (Energy efficient air cooling with Safe Evaporative Cooling from Ecocooling)

Thank Post
    How many Watts of server gear have you got and how many SqM is the server room?
    Also how new is your server kit?

Seriously, I'll figure out if Fresh air cooling is practical/achievable and if not give you a solid case to take back to the builders.

With Fresh Air Cooling, you won't actually need any of the above.

Thank Post
    we had that water cooled server room eco friendly system... replaced it as it could not cope with the heat from the server farm.

i did the maths on the heat output per hour for the farm which worked out about 37k btu per hour per blade housing. so have 3 linked AC units keeping the room at a happy 20c, no more heat warning from the servers.

Thank Post
    Liquid cooling can cool a lot more than air-conditioning, but with all of these things it's about specifying the equipment correctly, otherwise you will just be wasting your time, money and pushing up the energy bill.

So how many watts or BTU have you get total? and how big is the room?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12