+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Green Computing Thread, Energy Display Meter in Technical; Just had ours installed. The project finishes at the end of this month so if you haven't got a date ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Just had ours installed.

The project finishes at the end of this month so if you haven't got a date for install by then it doesn't look good.

Easy enough to change ip settings etc... on the device just go to it's current ip, no need for a password or anything and indeed no option to set one either.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d13373d View Post
    Can be installed centrally but takes a bit of work.
    I installed a local copy, copied the contents of the program files directory to the network share.

Then: Navigate to this folder - c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t
    copy the "Energy Dashboard.cfg" to the network share. This is the file that is creating the Flash player not finding the logger error.

Have the file copied to the local PCs via startup script and provide users with the link to the index.html file.

Example script used:
    if exist c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t goto end
    mkdir c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t

copy "\\cpsictserver\software\For all\Energy Dashboard\Energy Dashboard.cfg" "c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTru st\Energy Dashboard.cfg" /y

:end
    Thanks for this, i'd been looking at sorting this for a bit and this has really helped!

however a couple of steps were missed off...

Navigate to this folder - c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t
    copy the "Energy Dashboard.cfg" to the network share.
    edit the .cfg file so that it points to the network share where the software is installed rather than c:\

i also found that the directory did exist on a number of PCs so i did a small edit of the script so that it read:

if exist c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t goto copy
    mkdir c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t
    :copy
    if exist c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTrus t\Energy Dashboard.cfg goto end
    copy "\\app-01\resource$\GENERAL\Energy Dashboard\Energy Dashboard.cfg" "c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerTru st\Energy Dashboard.cfg" /y
    :end

the only problem i've got now is that the logger isn't being auto detcted and i have to put in it's IP.
    As far as i can see all the required ports are open but it still doesn't want to know... it must however be something on our network as it finds it find when plugged in directly.

Thank Post
    I added the energy dashboard software to an iis server and it worked fine. No problems with flash player trust as it's running from a trusted network location (i.e the internet)

Thank Post
    had the box installed, but still cant get the thing to talk to the network, had an email from them. see below, allready done most of the things, one idea was to turn the unit off and on again... but they dont know where the button is if there is one.. could be one way of saving energy, switch off at the master socket to reboot the monitor... ( they are also getting more staff as well when i phoned them who are starting soon)

Subject: Energy Display Meter
    Dear Sirs,

We believe you may be having problems with your Energy Display Meter (EDM), supplied and installed recently by British Gas Business.

We apologies for the inconvenience caused by the non operation of the EDM but would confirm for the small number of schools that have incurred a problem we are planning to conclude all post install problems before the end of June 2011.

To pre-empt the resolution of your problem(s) we would ask your assistance to confirm the problems and also gather information required to ensure the resolution to your problems is carried out with all speed. Submission of the following information may determine the problem can be resolved over the phone very quickly.

If a site visit is required we will call to advise when our engineers will be in your regional area; the information you provide will still assist our engineer in diagnosing the problem quicker.

1. Nature of the problem (i.e. no interface with school LAN, partial display graphics; no recorded data)
    2. Name of contact/ IT responsible person who will be assisting the Engineer on the day
    3. IT contact and phone number if not available face to face
    4. IT information - Fixed IP address, Subnet Mask, IP Gateway; or contact to ask the question off.
    5. Type of system i.e. Ranger, RM networks, or standard Microsoft.

To assist our engineers please confirm the above information, any symptoms together with your school details (including postcode) and fault reference number.

Should you have any further queries about the appointment process please contact Robert Reece or Nadia Strilciw:-

Email: DCSFenquiries@britishgas.co.uk
    Phone: 0845 673 7450 (Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm)

Thank Post
    Jon Wren is the chap you need to get in contact with - jonwren@bms-setpoint.co.uk

Thank Post
    Okay, a bit more info on the Perl script.

On a reasonably clean Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS server install, the script works without needing to install any additional Perl modules.

Open the script in a text editor and change line 14 where it says meterIP to the IP address of your meter. Ours has a static IP. So from:
    Code:
    my $url = 'http://meterIP/ChannelData.xml';
    to
    Code:
    my $url = 'http://10.0.0.241/ChannelData.xml';
    or whatever it should be.

Save and exit.

Copy the script to somewhere on the machine you want to use and give it a meaningful name. Mine's called emdmp.pl and lives in /home/pete/bin

The following instructions assume you're using a terminal prompt (aka command prompt).

Make it executable:

Code:
    pete@memory:~/bin$: chmod +x emdmp.pl
    Test it without any options:

Code:
    pete@memory:~/bin$: ./emdmp.pl
    You should get

Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 14.33.27.png

Now let's see if we can talk to the meter. Let's grab everything:

Code:
    pete@memory:~/bin$: ./emdmp.pl -a
    and you'll see something like this:

Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 14.35.19.png

If that works, we can start automating it by getting crontab (like scheduled tasks on Windows) to call the script every five minutes.

Code:
    pete@memory:~/bin$: crontab -e
    Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 14.38.51.png

In the above example we're calling the script every five minutes and adding the result onto the end (note double ">" ) of a csv file in a web-accessible directory. Ours is web-accessible so it's available to anyone.

Whoever is running the script via crontab needs to be able to write to that directory. If you don't care about making it web accessible, just modify crontab to write to your home directory by changing:

Code:
    /var/www/powerdump/emdump.csv
    to
    Code:
    /home/yourusername/filename.csv
    And yes, I like hideous terminal colours.
    Last edited by pete; 16th November 2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar

7. 2 Thanks to pete:

stevenlong1985 (16th November 2011), sturgeo (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    And if Linux scares you, that script will run on OS X or Windows. For windows, you need to grab Strawberry Perl from here: Strawberry Perl for Windows.

Invoke on Windows using

Code:
    perl scriptname.pl
    And then do the standard scheduled task thing to run however often you want.

Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 17.51.31.png

Thank Post
    I used to work for the metering company responsible for these installs.

Unfortunately there were only a few of us that wanted to do a good job of installing these.

Lots of sub-contractors doing sub-standard installs, not informing the school how to work it, or in some cases going to the school finding the place/room where the meter is to be sited then leaving the meter there still inside its packaging!

We, the engineers that could program them had our own software to program the fixed IP, subnet, time-out for DHCP etc. I'll have a good root around at home for it & find my old instruction book.

Would have been such a good project, if only it were rolled out correctly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    @ashbroad thanks for the info but this thread is 2 years old.

Ben

Thank Post
    Would still come in useful if he could find it, ours is still up and running but has never bee used properly. Cant connect to it in the software but can browse to ip address, but any page other than datareport results in "Page not Found"

Thank Post
    Having the same problem with this unit. Access to the Web UI using default IP (10.0.0.199) is OK but can't get any further. Anyone got any instructions for these?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've given up on ours. It is basically faulty, and no-one is supporting them any more. The software doesn't connect at all.

Thank Post
    Yup, don't waste any more time on them, time to wave them good bye

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345