+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Green Computing Thread, Energy Display Meter in Technical; Originally Posted by Sylv3r We never did get our energy monitor... I'll ask the caretaker if he has any news ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We never did get our energy monitor... I'll ask the caretaker if he has any news and whether we are likely to get it now the change of government.
    The project appears to be closed / cancelled now: http://www.energydisplaymeter.co.uk/

Thank Post
    Ours was installed yesterday - has anyone experienced problems getting it to pick up an IP from DHCP? So far it's stubbornly clinging on to its default IP and I can't see any way to 'reboot' the meter in the hope it would go for a DHCP address on its way up. I can connect the software to it if I give a PC on the network an IP compatible with the meter's default one, so it is basically working apart from the IP.
    Apparently, the installer chap didn't test the meter over the network, just left us the software on a usb stick... :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ours was installed a couple of weeks ago - not been able to get the teachers to have a gander at he lesson plans yet but As a Green Flag Eco School the dashboard is already throwing up some useful data:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    That's great specky. Would love one of these here might have to get on to the energy company!!!

Butuz

5. Thanks to Butuz from:

speckytecky (9th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Monkeh View Post
    Ours was installed yesterday - has anyone experienced problems getting it to pick up an IP from DHCP? So far it's stubbornly clinging on to its default IP and I can't see any way to 'reboot' the meter in the hope it would go for a DHCP address on its way up. I can connect the software to it if I give a PC on the network an IP compatible with the meter's default one, so it is basically working apart from the IP.
    Apparently, the installer chap didn't test the meter over the network, just left us the software on a usb stick... :/
    It seems the solution was to leave the meter alone for a long time! It finally picked up its reserved IP at some point over the weekend.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I canceled this order after months and months of chasing for a installation date, so disorganized it was unreal!

Thank Post
    I've just got this installed in one of schools.

When you run the software on a machine it seems very flaky as to whether it finds the meter on the 1st attempt.

If you manually stick in the IP then it find it but thats not very pupil friendly

But the main problem is that it doesn't seem to be reacting to any changes we are making (e.g no difference in any reading with suite air con./all computers on and everything off)

We found an electric heater and that made no diff either so I think ours may be a bit a broken of the lag time is beyond my attention span

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ours was installed today.

what we don't understand:

1. the real time power consumption is approx 50% more than what shows per half hour on the comparison page. It just doesn't fluctuate enough to make the average that much lower.

2. when we turned off 300 computers the power consumption dropped very gradually over half an hour or more. it wasn't a sudden drop.

any ideas on these why?

Thank Post
    I'm starting to think that they are just rubbish

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Monkeh View Post
    I'm having the same issue at one of my schools. There is allegedly a bloke coming out to give it a static IP, but we shall see. Also, if you get in touch with their techy people, they should be able to give you an MSI to distribute. Still waiting to see if this is actually going to work...

Thank Post
    Does anyone know of any alternatives to this? Looks like it could be useful but the project has seemingly ended.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    Ours was installed today.

what we don't understand:

1. the real time power consumption is approx 50% more than what shows per half hour on the comparison page. It just doesn't fluctuate enough to make the average that much lower.

2. when we turned off 300 computers the power consumption dropped very gradually over half an hour or more. it wasn't a sudden drop.

any ideas on these why?
    Had a brainwave. I think I know why it seems a bit rubbish.

on the comparison page. each bar on the chart is only a kilowatt half hour.

on the real time view, I think it doesn't drop off suddenly when you turn stuff off because each point is something like the average of the preceding hour.

Thank Post
    its an Awful product! I have the software however the software cant find the device, sometimes it will work for about 5 mins and thats it! their engineers kept saying its your computer, its your firewall! its just doesn't work!

Thank Post
    If you go into your 'leccy cupboard, there is a white meter with an lcd display. IF you push the buttons you can see kW and Amps being consumed on each phase - the values on mine are much more realistic than the software says they are e.g 35-45kw total power drain at 10am in a 1 form entry school.

I'd love to use this to identify the main power consuming devices but its just not reliable.

Si

Thank Post
    Just had a 2 hours session with a engineer goign around checking installs - one of my schools had had it installed and kept it a little secret

So, anyway - it dodn't work and after much faffing it was down to a loose connector inside the logger.

But bit of good news, I told him about my other school not showingthe right readings and he says it'll be a faulty logger and he's off their tomorrow to fix it

So at this school, 1/2 form entry, built in 1066 or thereabouts, we are consuming 33amps down a single phase!

He modified the setup to remove the false other 2 phase readings

regards
    Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast