+ Post New Thread
Green Computing Thread, Savings made using Papercut in Technical; As the title suggests really. We are looking to purchase papercut for the school to try and help with reducing ...
    Thank Post

Question Savings made using Papercut

As the title suggests really. We are looking to purchase papercut for the school to try and help with reducing printing costs. I currently have a demo running and I'm really impressed with the advanced reporting features and I have been displaying a Top 10 Polluters list on the staff room signage which is designed to shock people into printing less.

What I really want to know though is have any of you got a record of the percentage saving you have managed to make over a year using the software compared to before. I just want to see if I can work out a time scale for the software to pay for itself through the reduced costs.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I would estimate Papercut paid for its self within 6 to 12 months for us. It helped us go from 75% printouts being colour to 75% being B&W. Print usage only reduce 3% ish but that is more due to our settings.

3. Thanks to Pottsey from:

cromertech (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Darn it, I started replying, got called away and my reply had disappeared because of the auto-refresh! DOH!

Anyway, I'm not typing it all again, so you'll never know the true gems.. Instead, I'll do the same message briefly!

Before you do anything with it, you'll find this will only get paybacks if you get SLT buy-in on it. We did it once with a vague SLT buy-in, but as soon as a few staff complained, SLT back-tracked and told me to remove things. Since then, SLT have been given a bill for the £2500+VAT colour printing for 1 quarter, asked what they can do about it, to which I said "well, there's this software we have called papercut" and since this has been set up with rules and what not I would find that we're probably a similar turnaround to @Pottsey. It used to be a LOT of colour and a lot of wastage too.

We now have print release for our main machines, which has reduced the waste tenfold (I used to literally dump a ream or so of non collected printing a day that was stacked, and that was just on one of our machines, someone else binned the rest of the other machine). This is the best way to reduce costs, but only if you have the printers that support it (MFP devices and certain desktop printers) but for this, you'd need to get PaperCut MF instead of PaperCut NG, which would mean contacting someone for a quote instead.

You can also set print release on other printers too, but it's not as easy as staff have to log in to a machine, then log in to the web app on the PaperCut server, then they can release their jobs, so unless this is done from a computer nearby, you could still end up with wasteage. You can buy licenses for print release stations which then run dedicated to the cause, so might be useful to have an old laptop nearby or something. They're also releasing a mobile release platform, so staff could login using their smart phone / tablet that's on the school network etc.

The other thing to do is think carefully about the rules you'll set. We eventually went for default everyone to mono 2-sided printing. Staff can choose to change this to any setting they want (mono / colour / 1-sided / 2-sided etc) where as pupils are limited in the fact they're not allowed to print in colour unless a member of staff punches their details into the system for them (a pop up that comes from the PaperCut client running on the machines). If staff do choose to print in colour, they are warned it's printing in colour and told the alternative cost for mono to make them think about it more, etc. It's this that seems to have brought about the change in ratio of colour to mono printing etc.

If you have printers on lease or anything like that, it would be worth chatting to the company you have that with and see if they can include PaperCut (or one of the other print management solutions out there) as part of their service, or even at a discounted rate too.

5. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    We've been using it since 2009 it probably paid for itself in the first month and halved our yearly cost (a huge amount) for just toners alone!

7. Thanks to badders from:

Thank Post
    One simple yet effective feature I like is setting any duplicate printouts within 10seconds to be deleted. Stops all those double clicks when the person only wanted 1 copy or worse a double click on an 80 page document.

9. Thanks to Pottsey from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your input. I've managed to get myself a spot in an SLT meeting to demonstrate what this software can do for the department spends. Hopefully along with the top ten list in the staff room they will see how much this area could be improved by a proper management system.

Thank Post
    In the first year we saved over £8000. You will need the SLT backing to enforce any kind of credit system as it will receive negativity from some staff.

I ensured that any saving would be put back into my budget, as then it can be spent on IT to support teaching and learning etc. I think in the first year we purchased 10 new open access PCs and a projector install for the theatre.

I would consider the top 10 list in the staff room carefully, it could been seen as victimisation.

12. 2 Thanks to Max_Power:

cromertech (14th January 2013), tech_guy (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    @Max_Power I've re-done the report as a department list instead, this way it doesn't single people out but still gets the message across

Thank Post
    Not sure how much it's saved us since we've had papercut mf implemented across the school from day one. Our solution cost a bit to setup (biometric release on all copiers, with papercut installed on all copiers), but defaulting all jobs to mono, forcing people to have to acknowledge colour prints, telling people how much their print outs are going to cost, using follow me printing so all prints have to be manually released, recharging all department printing and implementing student print quotas has all meant that we've kept printing to a level we're happy with.

15. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    One of the best tools to save money is education Letting someone know that sending a 300 page colour doc to a £50 HP printer is not very efficient

17. Thanks to Big_Ted from:

cromertech (15th January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread